New to Houston | FerrariChat

New to Houston

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jordan747_400, Jul 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hey Guys, just moved to Houston (Sugar Land area) with my fiance. She's a violinist from Bulgaria and I'm training to be a commercial pilot. We have been here a few weeks and are finally settled in and ready to get out there and start meeting people and having some fun. I picked a good one...she asked me the other day if there are any car events or drives we can go on :) I saw the thread about the event on the 5th but we might not be able to make it. What else is going on here? Any weekly shows like Crystal Cove back in SoCal or anybody get together for some drives pretty regularly? I'm also hoping to get back into autocrossing, tracking, and rallycrossing my car if anybody has any recommendations for that as well.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hi Jordan, funny I was thinking of you the other day.

First, my deepest condolences on moving from the OC to Sugar Land. That has to hurt.

Second, there will not be much going on this Summer. Just too hot.

Third, check out MSR-Houston for the track stuff.

Fourth, the local FCA used to do a lot of drives, but not so much any more. But this may be worth a shot.

Fifth, ping me in September. I'm headed for California as soon as I can, but I'll be back by Sept.

Dale

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll join in welcoming you also Jordan! and congrats on the relationship also!

I am right down the road working in Richmond, PM for info we'll grab lunch or whatever, I still live back in the big city.....

My speedboat is going back together so waterskiing and parasailing in the future....I'm still rolling the Art Car Ferrari so have newsletter on the arts events...let's get together!

I'll be in Asutin Thursday but back to view fireworks Friday night, after Cars and Coffee, the Willie's Picnic at The Horse track, and i know of some live country music Sunday at Noon also if you want to try her on some "local culture"....good BBQ and ice cold beer included, of course.

Kindest Regards,
    Your Texas Cultural Tour Guide,
    Speedy308...uh, Alan!

It's not so hot, you just drive to the River and jump in....no not the Brazos River, I mean New Bransfels....LOL!

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    #4 jordan747_400, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008

Hey Dale, good to hear from you! Its been a while! I'll definitely ping you when you are back in town. I'll look into all of the stuff you suggested too!

BigTex, Bubba, Speedy308, Alan...Good to hear from you as well! Actually I might be closer to you than you think...I live in Pecan Grove, so litterally right there next to Richmond. We should definitely get together for some lunch one day! I'd love to see your art car some day so let me know when its next appearance might be! New Bransfels is definitely on my list of things to do this summer. My fiance has never been to Schlitterbahn! They dont have that stuff in Bulgaria, so she will get a kick out of it.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Houston Press free newspaper has the best entertainment calendar, look for it downtown on Wednesday night, I usually grab mine at the Continental Club, and check it out between band breaks, the burlesque dancers, and the flame twirlers.......you let me know when you think she's 'up' for all that! LOLOLOL!

I'll pay my FCA membership up to get back on the list of Franco's parties.....we'll not mention his jewelry store to her either, just for now...

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Awesome! Ill grab a copy tomorrow! Yea, we are definitely up for any sort of artsy or cultural type event. We are both classical musicians and she LOVES jazz...plays a mean jazz violin too. She is also desperate to get me dancing...not until I find some health insurance! Don't tell her about jewelry yet :)

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sadly, I have a very lightly used Cartier piece, tossed under the bed at the Bachelor Pad apartment.....LOL!
    I am hoping Lady Valeria slips back into it, but *shrugs shoulders*

Look thru the Press then as there have been some great jazz bars open in addition to the Red Cat, Sambuca.....

You know I am more of a Blues Bar and Honky Tonker, but maybe she could introduce ME to a new scene.....

I picked up Saint Arnold's beer as a car sponser ya'll will have to tour the brewery some Saturday, for samples!

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Welcome to Houston Jordan.

Hopefully you'll become accustom to our climate rather quickly. It can be brutual at times :D

It hasn't become huge yet, but we have Cars and Coffee the first Saturday of every month. Which just so happens to be this Saturday. It's still in its infancy, but it's a nice relaxing morning with nice people. This weekend may be a fairly low turn out due to it being the day after July 4th.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm in Richmond downtown, the County Jail out on the appropriately named "Ransom Road".........:D :D :D

About as close as you can get, without having to wear horizontal pink striped clothes...ROTFLMAO!

Maybe she can send back to the old country, for a cousin, or something?? :D

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bring her by the winery for a wine tasting.
    We're at the corner of Dairy Ashford and Hwy 90A

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #11 tx246, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hi jordan,

it's a small world. oddly enough, some of the photo's you posted on f-chat from crystal cove helped me in my buying decision of a dino 196 replica. i think you'll find quite a few more modern cars, but the vintage stuff if pretty much hard to come by

shawn
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
  13. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    That is a small world! Glad my photos helped!

dstacy, we would LOVE to check out your winery and sample some wines. In fact, might even be able to stop by this week sometime. We'll ask for you when we stop by!

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Welcome to Houston!

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Jordan, welcome to Texas! Sorry it had to be Houston that you landed in, but at least you got here! ;)

16. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    This is the Jordan that set up the F/chat dinner in Monterrey the Ferrari year at the historics isn't it? That was a great night/weekend, and congratulations on making it to Texas.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jordan a Texan!?! Who would have thought that. :D Congrats on your engagement and as Dale said, sorry about leaving California for Houston. ;) Plenty of events in Houston between FCA, other clubs, and informal stuff organized here by FC'ers. Let me know about your flying plans, have you already been flying or started your training? I got my ASEL Private Pilot last year and finishing up Instrument right now.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, we'll have to dig some of those photos up.

19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow, Jordan moved to Texas with his fiancee???? Congratulations dude!

It's hard to believe that you are on your own already. It seems like just yesterday you were 16. Time flies. Before you know it, you'll be owning your first ferrari.

Best Wishes,
    Dom

20. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hey Dom, good to hear from you again! Man, time really does fly! I'll be in California a lot still, so hopefully we can run into each other sometime in the future! Of course, I'll follow your daughters racing career very closely too :) I'm sure I'll get a Ferrari one day...might be just a little while longer in the future on a pilots salary, but if you ever want to sell the GT4, come to me first!!

21. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hey Rob, I remember reading about you starting your training last year. I did mine just about the same time but I think you are little bit further ahead in your Instrument training than I am. I think we have chosen a really similar path as far as training goes...Started flying in Cessnas, moved up to a G1000 172, then got my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria. Now Im back in a 172R doing my Instrument in a 141 school. Now that Im out of school I hope to fly full time and get all of my ratings within the year. Hopefully then I will instruct for a while, do some cargo flying, and maybe break into the corporate/charter world. Then, hopefully, I will have already won the lottery and will pilot my GV all around the world :)

What airport do you fly out of up there? I'm trying to plan ahead where I want to fly for my long cross country. I've heard Houma, LA is an awesome place, but wouldn't mind somewhere near Dallas if there are any good airport restaurants up there. If you ever fly down to Houston, let me know! I'm out of Sugar Land Airport.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very cool. I moved quickly on my instrument to start but have basically come to a stop until I pass the written, which I just don't have time to study for now. Once I pass the written we'll do one more XC and then a couple checkride preps.

Nothing stands out too much for airport destinations here. Stephenville SW of Ft. Worth has great BBQ (Hard 8) a walk from the airport. From Houston I would maybe pick Fredericksburg, take the FBO car downtown for a great German lunch. Also maybe go see Russ and his T-28 at Boerne.

Let us know when you are in the area.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Houma LA is surrounded by swamps alligators and tall trees covered in Spanish moss........good food though....LOL!

24. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jordan, welcome to Texas. I remember when you posted the thread about your concert appearance and exchanged a few things back and forth. I was posting under Audiguy then before switching to Anotherdunnedeal. Do you still perform or do you leave that up to your fiancee? She sounds pretty awesome, wanting to join in on car things.......cool.......

25. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Welcome! My husband and I are not far from you as well, SW Houston close to Sugarland; we are both transplants as well and know it takes time to adjust to a new place - so please feel free to PM us if you guys need any recommendations or anything else, for that matter! I am from Russia, your fiancee's neighbor :) although I hope she is too young to have had to study Russian in school.. my great-aunt married a Bulgarian and has been living there since the 50s or 60s, I've always wanted to visit but have not had the opportunity yet.

Don't listen to nay-sayers too much, this is no OC, weather and terrain suck but - you will make a better living, live in a larger house and probably meet more interesting and nice people here than anywhere else in the world. It's not all bad.. really! lol :D

Yuliya