Crap car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Crap car?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aidanparte, May 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    The fine Corinthian leather...LOL! :D

2. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Having read "Crap Cars," it is obvious that this author is enormously self-impressed, and believes that finding cute-n-clever ways to put things down makes him more erudite.

Beware, however, that the fact remains that MOST of the cars in this book really ARE pretty crummy, and there is the danger that, in our disgust with the writer, we could sink to his level.

An entire book could be written about the mid sixties to early eighties Lincoln Continentals - now there is a monstrosity! The Ferrari 400 positively glimmers next to one of those, just as it does alongside the vast majority of similar sized vehicles of the time.)

Like many laymen, this author probably assumes that the Daytona, 365 Boxer, and other extreme sports cars are the gold standard by which all Ferraris should be judged. At first glance, the 400 may not be what most people expect from Ferrari: It's a four seater, rather angular, front-engined, with respectable luxury coupe performance, but nothing in the range of, say, the GTOs. So what? There were many Ferraris for many purposes. Ferrari did a fine job with this one; why give any more thought to some self-impressed little "writer" who doesn't know a Ferrari from his head in the ground.

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I just wanted to post some pics of my car! I couldn't care less about that crummy book, although as you say, most of the cars do deserve to be in it.

Aidan

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    always a pleasure to see them aidan!!!!!!!

5. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    If had a Chevy badge instead of a Ferrari badge you guys might think it is an ugly car. It certainly is not the prettiest Ferrari but I do like the way it looks...could just be the badge talking but its pretty.

I am sure that while it may have been pretty wet and sloppy to drive...I image it was still a good car. The 348 was not particularly good for a Ferrari but you still want to drive one.

I have been contemplating a 612 as daily driver for a while, and to be honest its not a looker compared to the rest of the current line up, but 4 seat Ferraris are always cool.

6. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
  7. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    Your 400 is a true beauty Aiden thanks for sharing the photos.

8. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I overheard a group of people at today's (Denver, CO) Concours d'Elegance commenting on the 456 that it is an automatic, which is "Just wrong" for a Ferrari.

I informed them that I know the owner, a very nice English fellow, who, although he can walk a bit, generally gets around with the aid of crutches or a wheelchair. I think it's wonderful that he can enjoy his passion for Ferraris anyway. Also, the man and his wife have a thirteen-year-old son who often likes to accompany them on their drives. A four-seater is perfect for that.

I even love the looks of the 456, and the 400 seems a very classy car to me, no matter the badge it wears.

Since I can only afford one Ferrari (barely), I chose to go with the 308GTB, a beautiful but thoroughly impractical car.

Another note from today's concours: The only 348 present won a People's Choice trophy.

9. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are absolutely correct, Ferrari did do a fine job; why else would they have kept the same basic design going from 1973 (the Paris launch of the 365 GT4 2+2) right up until the last 412 came off the production line in 1989 ? Sixteen years guys ! And don't forget that these cars were very prestigeous vehicles in their time; owned by Royalty and wealthy celebrities acround the world. So yes, who cares what this moron has said in his 'crummy book' anyway, the facts speak for themselves!

10. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    I always thought they are pretty good looking. I wouldn't want one with a stick though.

Tom W

11. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #62 koisokok, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    if Enzo himself drove a 400,as his daily driver...then it must be NICE!!! LOL....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    He of all people recognized that it was important to sell the steak (2+2 often sold many more copies than the 2 seaters) to go with the sizzle in order to make money!

13. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    He probably fit in it better than his other products of the time too!

14. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    No doubt it is a nice car but I would not really say that because Enzo drove it, it must be good. He was very old so they built a car that he could drive easily, hence the automatic and large cabin.

15. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    The car that Enzo is driving is actually a 365 GT4/2+2 (note the knock-off hubs), so it would have been a 5-speed.

Aidan

16. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    hey, what are you trying to say...this car is for old people!!!!!!!!!! lol,,,, hey at 36 i do feel kind of old!!

17. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    aidan....shhhh..some people woulndt realize that...i remember that from previouse posts...lol

18. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Maybe it was an automatic prototype!

Aidan

19. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Well you got me there. You guys are good, those wheels are very close in design to the ones on the 400i.

20. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Are you kidding! I have kids almost as old as you :)

21. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I had the distinct pleasure of shooting several of those commercials..Ricardo Montalbon..what a perfect and classic gentleman he was..When my Mom saw those commercials she custom ordered one in light yellow and white/white interior..had it 'til she passed on in '91..that darn car never cost us a dime in repairs..anyway..better leather than ANY Ferrari than I've seen to date (exepting the new leather in my 1980 400i)..enjoy!!

22. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    the 400 is no ugly car
    i do not own one so i am not biased

is not the most beautiful ferrari of the era but it looks great in black!

the mondial is ....quite ugly imo

23. Mantabee

Mantabee Rookie

Apr 29, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Guys, I just bought a 1986 edition of "Auto Motor und Sport" which is the leading car magazine in Germany, quite an authority over here. I bought it on Ebay because of an article (a test) of the most luxurious serial production cars at the time (at least from a German perspective). It compares the following cars: Jaguar XJS, Porsche 928s, Mercedes 560 SEC and a Ferrari 412. There were two parts especially interesting and somehow new to me: a) the price, which was in German Marks 22 years ago: 86k for the Jag, about 100k for the Porsche, about 130k for the Merc and ... puh ... a staggering 188k for the 412! So the Ferrari was about twice the price of a Jaguar... no wonder it was quite an "exclusive" car. Guess, they couldn't have sold basically the same model for almost 20 years at such a price if it had been perceived as a terribly ugly, rubbishy and un-ferraristicy "crap car"!

But then, more to the point of this thread, b) the statement regarding the design of what was and still is seen in Germany as the "offcial neutral car experts magazine", i.e. "Auto, MOtor und Sport": "the timeless design of this car, developed in 1973 by Pininfarina, is regarded by many as the most beautiful Ferrari of all" (obviously it's just my translation, but believe me, this is what the magazine published in 1986). What a statement! Now, whether this is a bit far-stretched or not, I can tell you, I loved reading it!

As most of you across the pond(s) do probably not have access to such articles, I thought, you might at least like to hear about it.

365/400/412 rules!

Cheers
    Stefan

NB: I forgot to mention, I think they are beautiful!

24. OB1CNOB

OB1CNOB Rookie

Nov 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joel
    Tuesday, July 1, 1986

188K German Mark = 86.18714K US Dollar

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I have never had any one on the street stop me and tell me how ugly my car is, just the opposite.

Joel