Merged: Ex-Steve McQueen Lusso up for auction | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Merged: Ex-Steve McQueen Lusso up for auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by TG, Apr 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Yes, they told me that car is in England and has driven approx 400 miles since. They where very impressed with my Lusso.
    Max Girardo took them both on Fiorano with the cal spyder, Max is a great driver and drove the car hard, really like a Ferrari has to be driven. It was great to have seen IT.

2. ExclusiveMotorcars

Jan 4, 2006
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Leighton
    Not sure, but I was at that Auction, someone mentioned that it was a musician... wouldn't be surprised if the end user was Jay Kay (Jamiroquai) or Mick Jagger.

3. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Yeah, I don't know about that. I wouldn't call a Crossley 'nice'.

4. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
  5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

6. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    #131 t walgamuth, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    FLW was quite a scoundrel in his personal life. He was an outsized ego who set up his own little universe surrounded by admiring apprentices. A significant portion of his life was lived during the depression so at that time he had plenty of company of people who could not pay their bills. I think he spent a lot of time, though, taking things on credit knowing he could not actually pay in the end.

His work though is most impressive.

The more I know about his personal life the less I want to know though. I too read "The Fellowship" recently. It tends to focus on various sexual relationships and occult type activities by his third and final wife. Very little actually about Architecture.

He was attracted to stylish cars. I have never heard of him driving any Crosleys. Maybe the factory gave him some.
    It is my understanding that Ford gave him the Lincoln continentals as an advertising thing.

He is still the most famous and most copied Architect who ever lived, I imagine.

Tom W

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    FLW was a bit of car nut. See the work he did for Max Hoffman in NYC. Automobile Quarterly did a piece on his cars a number of years ago.

8. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The Lusso lives about a mile away from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! been seen on the roads with its new owner

9. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    I believe he did a nice showroom for Max. IIRC it had a ramp that was a kindof precursor to the Gugenheim Museum in NYC. I believe the building may survive.

He had an eye for anything beautiful and had some very nice things through the years. From his time in Japan when he worked on the Imperial Hotel he had a pretty extensive collection of Japanese art.

After his death his crackpot third wife (he was 57, she 27 when they married, or was it when they met, both being married at the time, but no bother, they both eventually divorced and finally married) remodeled parts of Taliesen to reflect her "religeon" which was related to Eastern dancing. According to "The Fellowship" it appeared one of the main reasons she married him was to promote this religeon.

Tom W

10. Trossi

Trossi Rookie

Apr 29, 2008
    FLW is great and well reputated, but I would be careful with statements like "ever lived" or "of all time". Just my 0.02...

11. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I wouldn't. Frank Lloyd Wright is the greatest architect of all time who ever lived on this earth.

12. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    In his mind and in most folk's minds as well.

You are entitled to disagree. Who did you have in mind?

Tom W

13. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    ....and yet you are not able to provide the name of your own neighbor? How credible. You must be in awe of your own celebrity. Its 'been seen on the roads', but not by you, just a mile away....unless the Lusso has very-dark tinted glass, one would think someone could come up with a name by now - "Oh, its so-and-so.....the one who's been on-stage in front of millions of people." I find it incredibly odd that some posters can count to-the-digit the number of miles the Lusso has travelled since being purchased at-auction, where its been driven, etc. yet cannot possibly discern who bought the car and/or who was driving it.....all VERY credible information.

14. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Some of us are a little more discreet with giving this info than others.....

ciao
    oscar

15. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #140 buster bram, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
    Correct

Ever thought its up to the new owner to disclose to the world (If he or she wants everyone to know) Its being displayed in July at a show so go and seek the owner if you want to! Mr James

16. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    And what irreparable harm could possibly come from such information, considering the owner is, quite possibly, an international celebrity? If the car has been seen driven on public roads the mere witness of such an event, and visual recognition of the driver, is not considered privilaged information, regardless of hemisphere. Steve McQueen didn't behave this way.....I wonder what he'd say about all this European 'secrecy' nonsense over HIS car.

17. Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki Rookie

May 9, 2004
    I live about 30 miles from Taliesen and FLW is still controversial, mainly for the reasons mentioned and his habit of not paying his creditors. An old, now deceased attorney friend of mine told me a story of how a local merchant that FLW owed money too had another merchant agree to tell him when FLW was in his store in Madison. The unpaid merchant then called the Dane County Sheriff, who seized Frank's Austin Nippy while Frank was shopping.

18. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I tend to agree with the thought that those "greatest of all time" statements are just hyperbolic silliness. Greatest artist, greatest musician, greatest scientist, (or greatest car for that matter) - these, sell more magazine cover articles, are just superficial laundry lists of people who of course have made an impact. That is why the question "who do you have in mind" is equally specious.

Yes Frank Lloyd Wright was no saint, neither was Enzo Ferrari for that matter.

Best,

Yale

19. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    now that would be a car to own ......

20. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    Yeah, I tend to agree that in many cases it is hyperbolic silliness. I admire his work but who is to say who is the "greatest". The word is not a precise word at all.

I originally said he was probably the most copied and most famous myself. It is an opinion. I am interested in other peoples opinion about it and would still like to hear his opinion of who is more "great" or "famous" or "most copied" even if you think its "specious".

Tom W

21. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    I don't really regret the choice.

Saying I should have done this or that is just idle talk. Who says I would have any talent for writing music?

Times are tough right at present for a lot of Architects but they will improve again, I am sure.

Tom W

22. Trossi

Trossi Rookie

Apr 29, 2008
    I would definetely agree with you when we speak about "modern architecture". FLW was a genius. But there have been many architects in history who formed styles which are still interpreted today like Georgian Architecture for example. Or other great styles from the same age in France, Germany or Italy. This has to be mentioned too, when speaking of "all time" imho.

23. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Yale, you misquoted me.

I rarely venture into the Vintage section and this has been an eye-opener.

24. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    Ahhh, yes. Good points.

I love many different types of buildings from Greek, Roman and on up.

I particularly like Antonio Gaudi's work in Barcelona and nearby areas.

Tom W

25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Some might argue that Palladio has had a somewhat greater effect on architecture than FLW. But then again he's had a head start. ;)
    Its a bit like asking who the greatest driver of all time is.