Lap Top Users Running Vista... | FerrariChat

Lap Top Users Running Vista...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Jun 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone here running Vista on a laptop have/having/have had battery issues like "plugged in, charging" or "plugged in, not charging"...? If so, have you upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate...? If so, has that solved your problem...? If anyone has any experience with this draining (pun intended) battery issue, I'd greatly appreciate if you share it with me. Thanks.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Interesting,

I'm having the same problem on my laptop running VISTA business, or whatever the pro version is supposd to be.

Battery won't charge, or at least the computer doesn't think it will.

Is Micosoft suggesting the upgrade will fix the problem??

Dave

3. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    yes, upgrade to XP

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

hmmm....

That's not gonna happen. Gotta look for another solution than that.

DM

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dude, Google "plugged in, charging" and "plugged in, not charging" and you'll have hours and hours of reading material. Everyone with every kind of laptop that's running Vista is having this problem. I just picked up my new battery today - a hundred @#$%ing dollars! - and I'm having the same problem. I can't believe this and it's driving me crazy. What's the point in having a laptop if I can't go anywhere with it...?

6. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I am running Vista (Home Premium) on my Laptop, have not had a problem at all with it. No battery problems whatsoever.

My laptop battery is a monster, it'll run well over 5 hours while surfing the internet.

7. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    no charging problems on any. Other problems but no charging issues.

All or high end Toshiba's. Think we've got a few more laptops with Vista in the company, that are also running fine - a couple Lenovo's I think.

Nothing would surprise me though - good luck!

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    My Vista Home Basic is running smooth. I added some RAM when I got it, just a 1 minute job, to support Vista. I had way to many problems with my Toshiba laptop that didn't have Vista, and had that problem you are having I also had on my Toshiba, turned out the plug that is connected to the motherboard was loose, and no one wanted to touch it because if they messed up they would have more problems. Honestly, I don't really understand the problem that people have with Vista, I guess I am one of the millions that cannot tell the difference. Once you get used to it, you'll be like me.

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I have never had this problem and I am running Vista Business on an IBM/Lenovo thinkpad T60. Been runnig this for over a year with no battery issues. I still have the OEM battery and I get 6hrs running time.

10. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    I'm running Vista (premium) as well. I have not encountered any problems at all. I have the laptop for almost a year now.

11. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Running Vista premium on my laptop, no problems in the few months since I got this laptop. There's not fix from the google searching? Does windows kick into hibernate mode or something? Can you turn off power management and at least be able to use the laptop?

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I love my Toshiba Satellite and, hitherto, have loved Vista. About six weeks after my warranty expired, the battery was first not charging, then not detected at all. So I ordered a new battery - through a Toshiba-authorized store - and it finally came today. The advice from the clerk was to swap in the new battery, let it charge for about a half hour and then use as usual. I let it charge for about 15 minutes (mistake?) and then turned it on; the battery never charged passed 36% and is now down to 6%. No matter what odd combination of seemingly irrelevant antics I engage, I can't get this thing to get back to charging. I do not want to submit to the $75 diagnostic fee the local computer place is going to charge to "find out what's wrong" - when millions of other people are having this problem.

My new battery is plugged in and charging according to Windows, but it never gets above 6%. This whole thing is very frustrating.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    As long as it's plugged in, I can use the laptop for hours - days, even - at my leisure, without issue. But unplugging it is a bad idea - and Google searching only yields everyone b!tching like I'm doing here - no actual solution.

14. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Are you sure it's a problem with Windows and not a hardware problem?

The "smart" batteries used nowadays have a circuit that monitors the voltage level of the battery to determine the charge - that's done in hardware circuitry on the laptop motherboard. If the charging circuit is bad, or (more likely) the battery is bad, it won't charge correctly. Since you've replaced the battery, are you sure it's not the laptop itself? I had the same problem in Windows XP on my last Sharp laptop. It was me using it on my lap (gee who'da figured!) that was flexing and stressing where the power connector went into the laptop... over time the circuit board cracked. That circuit board in there was also part of the charging circuit and it had caused the battery not to be able to charge. So I could run it on the power jack but not on battery.

Windows just reports what the smart monitoring circuit on the laptop is telling it, and it will enter shutdown/hibernate mode if the battery charge drops below 5% or 2% I beleive. But if the battery isn't charging, Windows has no control over that - thats all hardware. It is a common problem on laptops but usually due to bad batteries. The lithium ion batteries are usually only good for 12-18 months and they start degrading as soon as they are made, so it could just be that too. Have you called Toshiba for warranty support? Is the laptop still under warranty?

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have to agree with Mike on this one. Sounds like a battery or board problem. The battery might not be holding enough amps at this point. It happened to my macbook pro - so it is not even platform dependent.

Carbie, I have to admit it, I have a... a... Vista notebook now. *sniffs*

16. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I bought a cheap Thinkpad (only need it for the university) recently. Vista Home Basic came with it. First start took 23 minutes, MS and Lenovo had managed to pack over 40 (!) programs and additional services in the autostart. Put in a Linux disc, formatted, now Linux (Ubuntu to be precise) is running, no problems at all and fast as hell.

17. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    mine is fine on it right now. I think it might be a battery issue and not really a OS issue

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    +10.

19. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    I am running Vista Home Basic on my laptop with 1.5gb of ram and have no problems with the battery...what Mike told you should be the problem

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The warranty has expired. The battery trouble started about six weeks after the warranty was over. Just by reading your post, it's obvious that you know much more about this stuff than I do. But I can't help but think it's Vista when SO MANY people are having this exact same problem. If you Google "plugged in, charging" and "plugged in, not charging", you'll see thousands of returned results. There are so many other people having this problem. If it is the motherwatchamacallit, then what do you think the repair for that might cost? I don't really feel like paying hundreds of dollars on something that, sounds to me, is defective. In any case, I appreciate your reply; you're obviously a wealth of information on this topic and I'm glad you took the time to reply. I called Toshiba tech support when this first came about, but because my warranty had expired, they wanted money just to talk, and that pissed me off. So I hung up and went to Google. I called Toshiba a few weeks ago and - much to my surprise - their automatic responses changed to include something for people calling with problems specifically related to batteries. When I finally spoke to a tech, they told me to buy a new battery (and we now know that I just wasted a hundred bucks). I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to Vista Ultimate (because, as per those aforementioned Google results, stranger things have fixed this problem for some people), and if that doesn't do it, then I'll call Toshiba again.

Randy, when it happened to your Macbook, how long did you have your Macbook...? I've read of other people buying new A/C adapters, only to find out that the problem persisted, even with the new adapter. Of the hundreds of different problems and potential solutions I've read, the common thread is always Vista. I was a huge advocate of Vista since the first day I used it; until now. If it turns out not to be Vista (which would mean I would also have a solution to the problem), then I'll gladly eat my words.

Randy, what did you have before you converted to what I used to think was the best...? At eC i Rk It, two of our programmers would big on Linux and Unix - they did some amazing things in those operating systems.

21. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    one of the advantages is Toshiba Service Depot's are real people you can actually talk to. I'd suggest finding one, and asking them to plug in a working battery and see if it charges in your laptop. They should do that on spec of charging you for a new battery?

I would not upgrade to Ultimate hoping that fixes a failing battery! I've got one machine running Ultimate, and not clear what I actually got for my $$'s. More likely just upgrading drivers that came with a new o/s install was all that's required for the online forums you're reading.

22. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Starting point is @$200++ for the mainboard sans labor. I'd guess $300+ by the time you get the device back.

What make and model is your computer?

23. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Upgrading to Ultimate won't do anything for you except lighten your wallet. The core functionality in each version of Vista is the same.

24. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I paid my way through college fixing laptops for a local laptop rental company :) Happy to be of help...

I agree it is a very common problem, but I honestly don't think it's anything with Vista....and I'd hate to see you spend $$$ on software that won't end up fixing it. I think the reason it's common is partly because laptops are cheaper and perhaps less solidly built than back in the day, and also pretty much the only thing that's almost always connected to one's laptop is the power connector, so it tends to be the point of failure more than anything else. I buy a new laptop about every 2 years, because to me I now consider them disposable. They never last, be it a $3000 top of the line unit or a $500 cheap-o one. My most recent laptop I got a couple months ago... it's an HP with a 2.4Ghz (I believe?) Core Duo processor, a 17" screen, 250GB hard drive, 3GB of memory, a dual-layer DVD burner. It was $800... it will probably last me 2 years and when stuff starts breaking I'll toss it out.

Honestly, if your laptop is out of warranty, it must be at least a year old. Fixing the motherboard is sort of like replacing the engine in a car - it doesn't get much more expensive (other than replacing the screen). You're probably looking at $300 at an absolute minimum, but could easily be up to $500 or more. There may also be lots of sub-boards in the laptop, many Toshibas have a "battery board" but I am not sure if the electronics for the charging circuit are on that board or the motherboard. You can get laptop parts at places like www.sparepartswarehouse.com or www.excelcomputerinc.com but you'd then have to put them in yourself.

If it was my laptop, I'd probably just shop for a new one. If I was determined to fix it or if a new one wasn't an option, I'd scour google trying to find if this was a common problem with the specific laptop model you have, and if anyone had devised a fix for it. Failing that, you may be able to call Toshiba and work them to at least look at the laptop for free and tell you how much $$ it will cost to fix. Can you let us know the specific model number? I'll look online and see if I can't find any solutions or maybe someone would have an idea what hardware part may be bad....

Sorry to hear about it - it sucks when they fail just out of warranty (and on that note, perhaps Toshiba would give you some sympathy support with a little honey or a little vinegar if they ain't receptive to the honey... )

25. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Let me guess.....Your big dollar jobs were re-soldering the stupid power charging connector! I had it done twice on my first Lifebook. The first was in warranty (Done at Fry's) and the second time (six months later) was out of my pocket at $250! When I went for a new laptop last week, that was the first thing I looked at! I compared the Fujitsu Lifebook against an HP and went for the HP, as the type of connector seemed to be a bit more solid.