Dick Guthrie | FerrariChat

Dick Guthrie

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by donv, May 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I got a call from Dick's daughter today. His memorial service will be on Tuesday, May 20, 2pm, at a funeral home called "Omega", 223 SE 122nd.

She thought they would appreciate donations to the Audobon Society in lieu of flowers.

I can't be there, unfortunately, but maybe a few Ferraris can show up.

2. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Thanks for the info Don.

3. jkiwi

jkiwi Rookie

May 15, 2008
    Thank you all for your kind words. My dad worked very hard and thoroughly enjoyed all his friends and customers.

Memorial service:
    Tuesday, May 20th @ 2:00 pm

Omega Funeral Services (across the street from Ron Tonkin...oddly enough!)
    223 SE 122nd Ave
    Portland, OR

In Lieu of flowers, please send donations to:
    Audubon Society of Portland Wildlife Care Center
    http://www.audubonportland.org/donate

Jenn....Richard's daughter :)

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Jenn-- thanks for posting here!

I really enjoyed talking with your dad, and going over to his shop. It just had a feel all it's own. I think the Audobon society is very appropriate, as I will always remember the bird feeder out front and KBPS (classical) playing on the radio.

5. oregonferrari

oregonferrari Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Welches Or.
    Full Name:
    Shawn and Cindy
    I remember going to his shop to pick up my car and there sat a Daytona and many other older Ferraris. I couldnt believe the number of different models and types of cars he worked on. He was a very nice man and will be missed. He sure loved feeding those birds and the squirrels.

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I will always remember the many occasions that I talked with Dick, and the times that he serviced my car. Quite often the experiences were humorous, and I was always impressed how fussy he was.

My A/C compressor had failed. I bought a generic York - which looked nearly identical. He asked what I paid for it. Well, when I went back later to pick up the car, I found the new compressor still in the trunk. He rebuilt the old one, charging what I paid for the new one. I'm sure that he lost money on the rebuild, factoring in his time. He said that he couldn't stand to use a non original part if he could help it.

Still blows cold......

Hans.

7. Jim Frentress

Jim Frentress Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2007
    Laguna Niguel, CA United States
    Full Name:
    James Frentress
    I never met Dick, but this story alone tells me the world will miss him.

8. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
  9. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Dick was salt of the earth and will be missed!

10. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #10 TomPDX, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    I took my 348 in about 7 weeks ago for a 30k service. Dick was so conscientious. He emailed me while I was out of town, in St Louis, to tell me how troubled he was about the unusual wear pattern of my fly wheel, and how he promised to get the machine shop to be extra careful, and get to the bottom of it.

I don't have the car back yet, given the tragedy of the last few weeks, but I know when it comes back, it will be perfect, and well worth the wait. I will miss his skill, perfectionism, customer care, and sense of humor.

Jenn, my best to you, Linda, and your family. Thank you again for calling. I'm very sorry I was unable to attend the service. (I am, unfortunately, an attorney in the middle of a trial, which is both all consuming and immovable).

Tom

11. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    There are probably hundreds of Dick Guthrie stories that could be posted here.... And I don't think it would be in bad taste to do so, because even if they were not completely flattering (and I doubt anybody would find anything bad anyway), all stories that I have heard were, uh, well, just part of his legend. Like the time a customer found him sound asleep laying under a 250GTE. hehe.

I have several that I could share.

What amazed me was that on the East side of the shop would normally be a bunch of Ferraris in various states of disassembly, while on the opposite side you could find anything from an airplane engine to a grandfather clock to an antique motorcycle to a cruise missile. His shop was a working museum.

Hans.