Righini Castle | FerrariChat

Righini Castle

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 410SA, May 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #1 410SA, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I spent a wonderful week around Modena, doing the RM auction, watching the Mille Miglia roll through Maranello and discovering a hidden treasure trove of some of the most wonderful old cars, in their unrestored glory in a beautiful old castle in Castelfranco Emilia. It's close to Modena and literally a stone's throw away from the outrageously modern Paganis built in an industrial park.

The castle is the family home of the Righinis who have been steel wreckers in the area for decades. This was the place where old machinery and cars were broken apart to provide steel in times when it was cheaper to recycle it. The story goes that from time to time, instead wrecking some of the cars they stored them because they liked them. It promised to be quite interesting.

I drove to the castle after a morning at the Lamborghini factory and almost missed the place. My Tom-Tom said I was there, but there was only an old wooden gate set in a centuries old brick wall. It really didn't look like anything special. Mr Righini arrived home a few minutes later and opened the creaky old door to reveal a movie set castle courtyard with lovely greenery climbing the old brick walls and wild roses flourishing everywhere. Mr Righini spoke no English but his grandson was there to translate. The first door was another one of those old green wooden doors and it opened into a gloomy old barn. When my eyes adjusted to the light my jaw literally hit the floor. There were literally dozens of cars crammed into the space with hardly any room to walk around them. Italian cars of every type - Alfa, Lancias, Fiats and sprinkled among them were a couple of Bugattis and an original (and I mean the first one ever!) Benz. I walked through the barn and could not believe what I was seeing. Mussolini's personal very grand one -off Fiat was sitting against the wall in mute testimony of his power at one time.

When I was done inspecting every car and getting ready to leave, the grandson said "there is more". He led me to another door, metal studded this time. It creaked open to reveal a sea of red. More modern this time. A Formula one car, several Ferraris, Lancia Rally cars, an Alfa TZ Zagato - simply mind boggling. I walked around soaking it in and once again prepared to leave. "More?" he asked again. I wasn't sure I could take it. We walked to the other end of the great courtyard to a smaller green door.

It opened slowly and the first thing I saw was a very modern satin cover over a car and the inscription 8C Competizione. He had a brand new Alfa 8C in there! "Why the modern car?" I asked and he pointed to what was hidden behind the new car - The original Nuvolari driven 8C!!! I was so excited that it took me a moment to notice the burgundy colored car next to the old 8C. It had no name, but the grille had the numbers 815 on them. This was the original car that Enzo Ferrari built before he could legally use his name on his cars. Staggering! That little room also contained an old race car and a BMW but my mind was reeling at this point.

There were other cars elsewhere that I didn't see but the grandson said there were over 350 cars on the estate and literally hundreds of old motorcycles as well.

This was one of the most stunning automotive experiences I have ever had and all the beautiful Mille cars as well as the circus atmosphere of the RM auction could not come close to the grandeur of the Righini collection. I hope to be able to see it again some day and soak up more of the history that lies there in mute splendor.

Here are a sampling of some pictures of the castle and the collection.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Nice pics!

I can feel my heart beating in my pupils. LOVE old speed metal.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Dibs on the Zagato, the BMW and all the old Alfas.

4. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Wow I have heard about this collection but never seen pictures GREAT

Sean

5. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    Thanks for posting - I ended up on a tour of Corse Cliente at Fiorano last Sat and I think I know where I'd rather have been......

6. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Woww!

thanks for sharing, is the owner accepting visitors by appointment?

Would love to go there and appreciate the old metal.

Hans

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Fantastico!!

8. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    What a great experience! Did another member visit this castle with Phil Hill a couple years ago?

Peter

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What a thrill...thank you!
    CH

10. emiel

emiel Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Vlissingen
    Full Name:
    Emiel Wind
    #10 emiel, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    Amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing.... Is the collection documented in any way (literature / website?)

Just Found this!

http://www.infohub.com/TRAVEL/SIT/sit_pages/6077.html

Tour Itinerary:

Day 1 - Monday, September 11. Morning departure from Como to Modena, where a three-night stay has been reserved for you at the Hotel Real Fini. Along the way we stop at the Alfa Romeo Museum. In the evening enjoy a welcome dinner hosted by Phil Hill at the famous Real Fini Restaurant.

Day 2 - Tuesday, September 12. In the morning we will visit the Lamborghini Museum and Factory, followed by a marvelous lunch…bring your appetite. In the afternoon we are honored to be invited to view the magnificent private collection of Mario Righini. Truly a memorable day!

Day 3 - Wednesday, September 13. Enjoy a visit to a famed exotic car factory, followed by lunch at Cavallino. In the afternoon visit the Ferrari Museum and shop the numerous Ferrari merchandise stores.

Day 4 - Thursday, September 14. Early morning departure for Malpensa Airport (MXP) for your return flight home or continue your vacation on the Belgium Extravaganza. Please note: Flights should not be scheduled before 11:30 am, if taking our transfer.

Special Events:

Lamborghini Factory - Take a look into the passion and care that is put into these luxury vehicles, from the hand stitched interior to the overhead cam engines.

Lamborghini Museum - Houses many special cars including the last made of several models and numerous Formula One cars.

Ferrari Museum - Here you will get a fascinating insight into the history of the Prancing Horse. Take a look into Ferrari’s past, present and future through F1 themed exhibits, past and present cars, technological innovations and photographic shows.

---Righini Collection - Mario Righini`s passion for restoring and salvaging old cars brings you one of the most amazing private collections to tour. His collected works include various makes of cars, motorbikes and bicycles, all original classics. He even has on display the very first Ferrari ever built.---

Alfa Romeo Museum - Featuring five floors of of incredible exhibits, many tracing history to the time Enzo Ferrari ruled as the Alfa team manager.

The Ristorante Cavallino - Located across from the Ferrari Factory offers a great dining experience with arguably the finest food in the world. Enzo dined here daily, so don’t be surprised to see Luca di Montezemolo or Michael Schumacher ordering pasta.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not even that expensive at 2395 US Dollar (USD) p.p. considering the exchange rate! Not available anymore though....

More Pics at:

http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/righini-collection/index.html

11. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    410SA,

what a great post. Terrific pictures and a wonderful story to boot. Thank you very much for this.

Neil

12. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    i never imagine that Mario Righini gets all these cars behin the green doors. i know he gets the first Ferrari built by Enzo auto avio Mario righini he s very proud of it and he wants to keep it for ever in his family. For the rest of cars ...it s just incredible.
    lucky old man!

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    good god! that's amazing! there is a yellow Series I 500 Mondial (PF bodied) in there . . . . .

14. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Unbelievable. Thank you very much for posting. Beautiful story.

15. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    This is the automotive equivalent of the boneyard in AZ, on a whole different level. Something every car aficionado should see once in a lifetime. Thanks for sharing this experience too!

410SA, would love to see more if it's not much of an inconvenience. :)

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is incredible! I'm going to be in that area this summer, is there a way to make an appointment?

17. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    A great read.

Thanks 410SA.

18. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Thank you so much for the pix! I gather that this collection is not exactly a secret, just not publicized. I think you were very fortunate to have been able to just "walk in". Congratulations!

19. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I love it!

20. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That's what I call a fary tale castle. Thanks so much for sharing!

22. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #22 Bill_OBrien, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    I was at the Lamborghini factory on Thursday May 15th! I cannot believe this treasure trove was in the same area!!!!

I was in Brescia that evening for the beginning of the Mille. Amazing experience!!

Thank you for the pics!! I have to now pick my jaw up off of the floor.......

Here is a link to the translated web page ofr the museum:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.righinimario.it/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drighini%2Bcollection%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLJ

Untranslated:

http://www.righinimario.it/

23. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    That collection is unbelievable!

24. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    #24 4re gt4, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's my favorite from my visit last year. Shows 'the man' himself.

Hans.
    PS: He treated us to several rounds of Lambrusco. What a treat!

25. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    What is the bright-yellow car pictured in the corner under the Ferrari banner?