First Ferrari: 308GT4 or Mondial QV? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First Ferrari: 308GT4 or Mondial QV?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AndyS, May 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Wow, this is becoming another GT4 love thread. Three years ago you couldn't find this much GT4 affection...what a difference a little time makes. You guys should form an advertising firm and get paid to talk up other products! ;)

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the Mondial being uncomfortable! The thing is awesome....it's just not as much a sports car as a GT. The thing is rock solid at 100 MPH and can go all day comfortably at that speed. (I find the driving position fine, but I am short.) It's a great car for a long drive and still fun in the twisties, but it wasn't designed for tracking.

Mondials are more rust resistant than GT4s and they are better daily drivers. The injection makes them less tempermental than carb cars. They don't sound as good as carb cars of course and the throttle response is not as good. A GT4 is lighter and handles better. But a GT4 is really like a 911---a sports car with a couple of things behind the driver that vaguely resemble seats. The Mondial is actually a 4 seater. If you have kids, get the Mondial. The Mondial is also really easy to work on. You don't even need to drain the coolant to change the timing belts!

I have driven both, and own a Mondial QV (and a carb 308 as well). I love them both and if I had the garage space, I would certainly consider a GT4, but to me it is very similar to a carb GTB except for the look. The driving feel and the engine are pretty much the same.

My $.02.

Birdman

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I recognize that GT4....Carreeaper's former car.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is either a 'thinking outside the box' response or a 'hijack', depending on your perspective. If you need a four-seat Ferrari, then you've got some good advice from the above posts.

If you're thinking of the GT4 or Mondial QV because you want to save money on maintenance, and can accept a two-seater Ferrari, I'd suggest looking at a 308 GTS/B QV -- this is the same drivetrain as the Mondial QV, so maintenance/repair costs should be comparable. Also, resale is going to be better, as it is one of the sports car icons of its era (the other being the Porsche 911). You will pay a bit more going in, but if/when you go to sell you'll find a wider market. My opinion is that the 308/328 GTS/B series are very undervalued right now and probably the best "deal" in a used exotic.

However, you're going to be in the $40K+ range to get a decent 308 GTS/B QV. If that's more than you want to spend on what is basically a toy, then the Mondial QV should be pretty solid car.

As an aside, I had a discussion last night with a local Ferrari/Maserati reseller, who just sold a 2002 Maserati Spyder for ~$35K. That's a 400bhp Ferrari 360 engine under the bonnet. No prancing horse badges, but tempting nonetheless.

4. AndyS

AndyS Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Andy Santos
    Wow, that is a beautiful GT4. The wheels, are they from a 328? They look perfect on the car.

5. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Get a chance to drive them both, then decide!

GO DINO!!!!!

6. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    It depends on what you want the car for. If it's purely a toy, then I'd go for the GT4 because they're more involving to drive. The Mondial is less focused on the driving experience but a better all rounder. So it's very much horses for courses and if chosen well, neither will disappoint.

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #32 snj5, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While I'll certainly agree recommending drive both and see what you want, I've had a Mondial 3.2 for about 12 years and still have found nothing really any better in terms of a small usable GT car for a larger guy. It's much larger inside than a 911 or a GT/4 and quite easy to ingress/egress. While certainly more of a GT than a hair chested sports car, it more fitted my real world need for a usable car and for several years was a daily car. The air conditioning is far superior to the GT/4 if that is an issue, and the whole car is a bit more solid feeling (which does mean a bit heavier). If you read contemporary tests, the acceleration times of the QVs is pretty much on par with most later GT/4s in the 7 second bracket, and faster than most US spec Dinos - it's the feel that is different. The Mondial is very much a small Grand Tourismo and all about balance, understated elegance and class.

As you look at Mondials, an important factor is the choice of tires. Be sure you get a more modern set of tires than the original TRX or Goodyear Gatorbacks - it absolutely transforms the car beyond belief into a very modern feeling and handling car. And although a bit of personal taste here, don't get tires much wider than stock using tires at or slightly larger in section than 205 - 215 front and 225 - 245 rear keeps the car quite tossable and very responsive to throttle steering and balance making for a lot of fun.

Let all know if you have any specific questions, and I am sure the GT/4 and Mondial guys will all be happy to help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen

Your rust and spark plug comments still puzzle me. I've got no rust - none at all. When the PPI was done 6 years ago, the mechanic (he specializes in vintage Ferrari...) specifically looked for any sign of rust and found none. Now, I know some cars have issues, but I'm wondering if they suffer from being driven on salted roads. Oregon doesn't use salt and the handfull of GT4s that I've seen in the area have minimal rust issues.

My first set of plugs fouled themselves quickly, but that is when I rejetted and carefully tuned the carbs. After that I've been able to easily get 10K miles on NGK's. I guess that I should mention that I have the Crane optical ignition; perhaps that helps. However, I suppose that if an engine has valve guide issues, then even a good tune up wouldn't help. But I don't believe that oil burning is a big deal in general with these engines. Mine consumes about 1 qt Mobil 1 every 2000 - 2500 miles.

Hans.

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    As much as we are trying to distingiush them, the Mondial is just a typical newer version of the GT/4. Ask about which 911 to buy. 964,993, 996 etc. The bigger issue here though will be finding one in proper shape. Lets face it, theres not a lot to choose from, especially in the GT/4 camp. Some things are absolute. Mondial is bigger inside, less prone to rust and has fuel injection. Outside of this its a crapshoot as to how any random model of either will compare against another. These are all becoming old cars that have seen various levels of care or neglect.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice GT4's are indeed pretty tough to find.

11. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Yep, 328 wheels. It's my favorite look on the GT4. Looks like they should've been there from day 1, IMO. :)

JIM (thanks for the compliment!)

12. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM

You really do have to decide the purpose of the car. My GT4 is an adult toy go-kart. Would not be practical for a daily driver for very long. (for me anyway) HOWEVER, it is a total blast to drive on twisty roads and with updated rubber and suspension it's an amazing drive for a 30+yr old vehicle. My car does not see rain, but does get driven ALOT! If you wanted something to drive anywhere, anytime +/- daily driver duties, then consider the Mondial. Either way, they are both Ferraris and a good one will be a thrill to own.

JIM

13. AndyS

AndyS Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Andy Santos
    You've got a point there about the 308/328's. I especially like the 308 gtsi qv (OK, I admit it - I am a Magnum fan!). What kept me from considering it is the higher "entrance fee" compared to the GT4 or Mondial. Like you said, a decent 308 would be approximately $40K plus. I was also thinking about a Maserati Coupe (manual, not cambiocorsa). Very tempting, but I have always wanted a Ferrari.

I appreciate the points of view to this question of mine. Everyone has their valid points either for or against a certain model. As much as I love the looks and the raw nature of the GT4, I am leaning towards the Mondial. As it has been pointed out, it would be probably difficult to find a decent condition GT4 nowadays. Also, the prospect of rust and major bodywork kinda scares me, since it could be quite expensive. In addition, I think parts (if needed) would be a bit easier to find for the Mondial compared to the GT4.

Cheers,
    Andy

14. 4REGT4

4REGT4 Karting

Aug 25, 2006
    #39 4REGT4, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
    Do you have pictures? If you recognize it, it must have been after I sold it. It didn't look anything like that when I first got it. Would be interesting to see what happened to it (it went to another state). I know the guy said he was going to turn it into a track car, yet told me he changed his mind once it arrived since he didn't expect it to be as nice as it was (interior was next to flawless besides the driver's seat). (the guy had a carb GTB as well at the time).

As for the rust someone questioned. It was my daily driver for 4 years straight in Florida so it got rained on often (The Mondial does not rust as a daily driver, nor do the 308s or 328s).

15. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Are you the guy that had a red/black GT4 with black seats and red piping? Just curious, as there is an exact twin to my car that was running around Florida with my same (Oregon) plate: 4RE GT4

Hans. (the other 4re gt4.....)

16. 4REGT4

4REGT4 Karting

Aug 25, 2006
    #41 4REGT4, May 22, 2008

While my plate was in fact 4RE GT4, it was not an Oregon plate. You can see the picture I posted in my first post in this thread (and first post here ever despite registering 2 years ago :p). In that picture you can see the unique things on it such as gloss black with the front end stripe and the wheels. Would be surprised if there was another identical to that. Still, I haven't seen the car in 3 years. Sold it and got a C4 Vette (I do currently have a red 328 GTS for those that need a reason to hold their vomit back). I painted it myself, and clearly I was partial to the look of the GT4 :p Thought some GT4 owners might find the adopted paint scheme amusing...

17. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    I've seen in this thread where a 308 gtb/s qv has been thrown into the mix. If you can afford the price bump for an 84/85 car it would seem a no brainer- drop dead gorgeous looks, no rust issues and solid reliability- if I had the funds that is the way I would go

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #43 Wade, May 23, 2008
  19. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #44 Brian Harper, May 23, 2008
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
    About the Motorcars Gallery car: The ad says it is a two passenger version. Parcel shelf version? Also, what is that under the nose? I haven't seen that before.

Edit: Actually you can see the parcel shelf in the picture above. The aluminum strip is showing.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Brian,

I haven't seen that either. It almost looks like a custom built piece.
    Here is what I have on the car:

White w/boxer/Tan

rear seat delete car
    1977 owned by C. Briscoe car was white w/boxer/tan/black
    1978 for sale by FAF (GA)
    1978 Chiinetti Motors purchased the car which is now red w/boxer/tan, car involved in a legal battle
    10/2002 in Dickenson, TX
    3/08 for sale Motorcar Gallery (FL) $26.5k 56k miles,

21. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #46 Hans, May 25, 2008
    Mine is a 74 too and I wouldn't change it for anything. Not even a 430. The Dino is so raw, so pure. It has the refinement of a T-rex (none), and is just an obnoxiously loud burping, snorting, flame throwing toy that needs you to work very hard to go fast. Utterly involving and rewarding. I just love it!

Hans

22. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Hmmm, I guess this depends from car to car. I drive about 10,000 miles per year in mine and it ALWAYS starts first try. Turn the ignition key to get the fuel pump running, two steps on the gas pedal to prime the engine and start it.

Hot starts are a bit more tricky, but there too, it always works.

FWIW

Hans

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Hans, the fuzzy dice are a great touch! LOL! :D

24. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    :D

Yeah, I figured this car is so far out that it deserved the dice ;)

25. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    ontzagwekkend :D