Dino Saga 080427 _ New Wheels | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080427 _ New Wheels

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Apr 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080427 _ New Wheels

I’ve given up on the French outfit that says they sell Gotti wheels and replacement parts. No reply in two weeks. In the meantime I have been calling wheel and tire companies. Turns out that no one wants to talk about modern wheels for an old Ferrari. They say they have some wheels but the offset is wrong, the bolt pattern is wrong, can’t get the right diameter, only have one of the two widths I want. I am getting to the point where I want a pair of 7” and a pair of 8” wide 17” diameter wheels with a blank hub that can be machined to my numbers. Easier than trying to find something already made. Now all I need is the right pattern for the wheel hubs.

A couple of years ago someone posted pictures of an Australian, black, de-bumpered Dino GT with Mesh pattern wheels. They doubled the spokes and the pattern did not look too modern. Looked like either 17” or 18” diameter wheels and the wheel/tire proportions looked good to me. I did some searching and turned up the pictures. FChat is wonderful but the search engine could use some more smarts. The car still looked pretty good so started looking at some tires. I have been running 205/55 ZR 16 in front and 225/50 ZR 16 in rear all this time. The balance is perfect. Moving rears up or down one size makes things worse. The fronts just touch the rock guard at full lock so 25” OD, 205mm wide is as big as you can go on that end. The rears are offset too much to the outside and even though nothing hits, it looks funny. An inch could be taken off the back side of the hubs with no problem.

If I went to 17” wheels, the ride would get somewhat rougher but I think that the difference would be minor compared to the difference going from 14” to 16”. I think 18” diameter would be too much. Total sidewall height went from 5.5” to 4.5” at 16”. 17” wheels would let me go to 205/50 in front and 225/45 in rear and come close to the same speedo error. Does anyone know of such wheels and a company willing to play? Or willing to sell wheels un-machined. At a price below $300/wheel. They can become immortal on the pages of FChat. Or notorious. What do you think?

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    My God that black, de-bumpered Dino is just phenomenal. WOW... Beautiful...

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
  4. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Not the Gotti's, they are gorgeous on your car John! What has gone wrong with them?

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Dan,
    I am sold on the low profile tires with a wider actual tread width. 205-225, Front Rear, about 50 profile. Great handling and still good comfort. There is no "sloshing" from side to side in linked corners. The car just turns NOW. I would love to have a set of 16s. Still have 3 good tires I would love to wear out. Problem with Superformance wheels is the width. I want 7"-8" in front and 8"-9" in rear. Can't get there from here. Also can't find any other new wheels at 16" and proper width and hub. Figured that I might stay closer to modern sizing just for tire selection.
    The Left Rear Gotti lost 4 bolts on our trip to San Diego. Lost air going 75 in the diamond lane. Made it across 4 lanes of the 5 and up on the shoulder. Ruined tire but stayed in control. Took wheel apart and measured everything. Decided to quit trying to save wheel unless I could get a new inner spinning. No luck so here we are. Stay tuned.
    John

6. AusDino

AusDino Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2005
    Bris
    Full Name:
    Peter
    John,

Why not try Simmons wheels in Australia. They make 3 piece wheels and make custom centres/rim sections. Try http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/custom/ . Could be worth a go if you want to keep your Gotti's. I think they are Simmons wheels on the black Dino above, look through their wheel catelog.
    cheers
    peter

7. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike

The wheels on the black Dino are Simmons "OM" series wheels,
    http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/wheels/

Depending on the width & diameter & finish, expect to pay $600-$750 AUS per corner, plus freight

M

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    John's threads from last year detailed the first failures
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150438
    and
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151446

The scary part isn't that the repair of the cracked wheel might not be adequate, it is that the presence of visible cracks might also indicate there are unseen cracks (micro-cracks?) waiting to happen (remember that his car has nearly 200,000 miles on it).

A local Dino owner is running modern 225/60 Michelin Pilot Sports on original Campagnolo wheels and he really likes them.
    We had a big car show yesterday, photo here (4 Dinos showed up!) :
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137665477&postcount=23

9. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks Scott. I appreciate the links, I missed those.

10. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Jon what are the stud dimensions? I ask because there's a wheel company here in SoCal that does wonderful work refurbishing wheels. They've got a HUGE stock of various wheels (4 & 5 lug). Now they specialize in JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) wheels but, the Japanese used to steal a lot of their design from European cars so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of these wheels having the same wheel stud offset as your car.

Even if they don't have wheels that work they do refurbishment of older wheels. Give them a call/email and ask them if they could help you out. I would be very surprised if they couldn't restore your current wheels to "like new" condition.

www.rbwheels.com

P.S. the wheels on the other Dino look like WORK VS-XX. RB Wheels has many of those.

11. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

I'm looking for a set of 16" wheels for my Dino here in Aus.
    Has anyone bought or seen the Superformance 16's ???

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, very nice too.

I would buy a set but they do not do them in Campy's

The big brake kit is nice as well.

13. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    #13 gcmerak, Apr 29, 2008
    Hello everyone,
    I'm relatively new to the site. I do not own a Dino [although I am a Dino enthusaist]. I do however own a Maserati Merak SS and am experiencing the same type of wheel problems. I wanted to buy the sport mesh 17" wheels from BBS till I found they were some $850 a piece. Too pricy for me. Some sport mesh wheel options I will post. I agree 17" is the way to go. Superior handling when compared to a 14" or 15" wheel. Try finding a 4x130 bolt pattern. Wheel adaptors from www.skulte.com/rims.html give you flexibility with your wheel choices. As for me, I'm still working on it. Thought you might want to know.

Ciao,
    George

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    A little off topic....

I KNOW that black Dino in the first post must just drive the purists nuts, but i swear the lack of bumpers, color and even the wheels really makes the car look stunning.

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Certainly does make it look stunning........and different

16. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It would take a brave Man to drive a Dino with no bumpers (braver than me!)

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Go on Graham, you are spraying hte car Black....just leave of the bumpers

Tony

PS still waiting to do your discs

18. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    #18 DinoDriver, Apr 30, 2008
    Jon,

Here's a 16" BBS style wheel made by PRIME that I bought over 10 years ago for track work using 225/50ZR16 Yokohama A008s. Since I don't track the car anymore, I now use them for normal driving mounted with Bridgestone Potenza 225/50ZR16s. IMHO, the ride and handling characteristics are excellent in every respect. If you like this BBS "period" look for the Dino, I can check to see if they or something similar is still available.

19. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Your car looks terrific, but that building in the background could sure use a coat of paint.

20. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    #20 DinoDriver, May 1, 2008
    Yep, I've been telling Mom & Dad for years to fix up their company store (that's them on the stairs) but they're too busy running the town, which he owns in West Virginia. He mines molybdenum. Here's another shot, exact same place but looking due east. Nice view!

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    JC,

Great photoshop'ing those wheels on your Dino.
    Does anyone else think these are approaching the style of F430 "Challenge Wheels"? I do and I like them!

Dang, if the Dinos aren't the true predecessors to modern Fcars and they are still fitting in well