997 GT2 vs Z06.......Ouch | Page 3 | FerrariChat

997 GT2 vs Z06.......Ouch

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by dave_fonz_164, Mar 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The Z06 is just a tad faster if you average most reviews together. But it's certainly not "killing" the others.
    And by handful, do you mean a very small percentage? 'Vettes are not very well loved in Europe, because the car is just too expensive there for what you get.

2. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    That is one heck of a fast car.

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Yes. I think if they were as cheap as they are in the us they would have more of a backing.

4. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Maybe, but they'd need a better suspension. UK Magazines have often hated the suspension in the Corvette calling it nerve racking/jaw jattering/etc.

But, yes, they might need to lower the price in Europe. In the UK, old Corvettes (C5s) go for more than new base C6s. Same with the Vipers.

5. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    as a car nut i certainly do respect most kind of sportscars. and certainly the corvette is a good car for what it is.....a cheap fast car assembled from the GM parts bin catalog.....a mitsubishi lancer 1.6 is better assembled and more thought out than a corvette ever will be. i have driven (not owned) a fair share of american cars and they are by far the worst cheapest interiors one could think of.....all of them.....you get the same feel be it a navigator, an sts or a vette.....horrible assembly of plastics.

6. Joe360

Joe360 Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Germany&Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I owned two Chryslers (PT Cruiser and Grand Cherokee Ltd.), all I can say is: SPOT ON!!

7. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The Vette isn't taken seriously? Is that so? Is that why Autocar just compared it to the GT2?

In order to even think about comparing it to the GT2, one has to at least recognize that it's pretty damn good.

8. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    In the past I agreed. A current perusal of a GM dealership shows the gap has closed tremendously.

9. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    oh snap

10. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    The GT2 is only better by default because the Z06 is kind of old news while this is Porsche's new shreff in town more improved. It would have been a fair race had it been a ZR1 insead of a Z06 so it wouldn't matter what it puts down on a dyno or how less it weighs its not a fair match. We might as well go toss in a modified Civic and test it to see if it can beat both cars with 20k into it.

Actually it has been taken seriously outside of the US in fact most UK mags have givin it great reviews only the biaist folks aren't taking it serious.

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Maybe we should test a Hennessey Viper against a GT2 and see who gets spanked then :D

12. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

or maybe we should test a GT2 Stage3 against a Hennessey Viper and see who gets spanked then :D

we are talking stock for stock........would love to see that hennessey go round a bend......

13. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    It would do so quite well. They have IIRC motegi adjustable shocks all around.

14. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

i agree.....idling in 1st gear :D

15. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    ????????? that GT2 have more then 1100hp?

16. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    It wouldn't matter whats been done to that Porsche the Viper will walk it regardless of what you say or whats been done to that Porsche. Id love to see that porsche try and best a TT Viper from a 30mph or a dragrace.

At a track it would probably beat it but in a straight line that Porsche is toast.

17. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Oh, so you think a Venom TT will walk even a Mirage GT despite the fact the Viper's engine has to be cooled with ice after every run?

I mean, let's face the facts. The Venom barely beat the Veyron and that's due to the Veyron weighing a whopping 1,000lbs more.

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Well Iv'e seen what a Hennessey Viper can do in person as well as in video its vary amzing what they can do!. Those and many other TT Vipers have proven time and time again what they can do, theres not much I can say. I won't birdwalk this topic because its going in the wrong dirrection than I orginally intended it to be but thats a race id love to see.

19. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well, when that happens, I want to see a customer's TT, not Hennessey's own TT. I have a feeling the guy is smart enough not to screw up his own cars....

20. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    A lot of very ignorant comments - especially coming from a 318 driver - a car which has never been taken seriously in the USA *or* in Europe... a universal joke of a vehicle, if you will.

The ZR-1 will not be a match for the 430. The Z06 already handily trumps the 430, and the ZR-1 promises to be a fair bit faster. The GT2 is a bit faster on than the current Z06, against the ZR-1 it may be a different story, we will have to wait and see.

A car that wipes the floor with 430's, Gallardos, Murcielagos, 911's, M5's, M6's, M3's, AMG's and Aston's is something to be taken seriously. Only a fool of a car snob would think otherwise.

I don't mind when guys with CGT's, Enzos or Lambos want to be car snobs - they had the choice and they chose the (often slower) higher priced car. That's cool - its a great decision to have to make.

What is funny however, is when folks who aren't able to afford either enlighten us with their knowledge on which car is the better performer and which "is taken seriously".

LOL!

21. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

how do you determine 'afford' ?

22. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The guy in the Z06 seemed like a tugger at the wheel. They should have switched drivers. The GT2 should be faster but it looked like the cat driving the vette had never driven one in his life.

23. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson

I think that regardless of what one can afford, one should be entitled to an opinion no matter how flawed it is. I think this is something Asterix and Obelix and even Idefix (Dogmatix) would fight for (with or without potion).

-Peter

24. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    That driver was an absolute slouch.... By the looks of the way he was shifting, I wonder if he's ever even driven a left side car before?

To post a 10 second 0-100 when all the magazines have it around 8 sec is rediculous. My old C5 could run 0-100 in 10 seconds.

I'd love to see someone who knows how to drive get behind the wheel of the Z, I'd bet it would be much closer.

Also he turned off the traction, didn't even put it into competative mode, so he's going to get excessive wheel spin. They used the technology the GT2 was carring, but not the technology built into the Vette?

Seems to me the whole report was bias. Sure the GT2 would have still won, but not by as much as they reported... idiots.

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I believe the race was riged for the GT2 to win. Bottomline. :D