What do you think about this 250 GTE? | FerrariChat

What do you think about this 250 GTE?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ferraridigest, Feb 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridigest

ferraridigest Karting

Jun 27, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Tony G
    P.S. I am NOT a dealer, broker, agent etc. Just thinking about buying this car.

2. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    How much is the party asking?

3. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    I think you should arrange to have it shipped to me for thorough evaluation :D

4. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    What is with the burled wood dashboard?

5. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Car looks beautiful from what there is to see. Do you have any details on it the car like cost, service history, price, recently completed PPI, etc.

These are the things that will help you judge if this Ferrari is worth buying or not.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Who has it for sale?

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Who has it for sale?"

If he tells us, someone else may buy it ....

8. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
  9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #10 El Wayne, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
    S/n 4829. (Mine is 4289!) Yes, it's a series III (1963) car. Wood dash is non-original, as is Ferrari badge at the rear and unpainted "Ferrari" script on the valve covers. Radio is non-period. Car has jack and tools, asking price is $122K (sold 1 year ago for $106,100). Series III cars have several desireable upgrades, including higher compression, (slightly) higher output motor. Depending on what sort of mechanical and/or rust issues are hiding in there, $122K could be a fair price for a solid driver with a pretty paint job, shiny chrome and clean interior, imo.

10. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    #11 AndruetBiche, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
    Early cars had higher comp. Late cars had coil overs, wider rims, split headers etc....

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Beg to differ. Early cars = 8.8:1 compression ratio. Later cars = larger valves, 9.2:1 compression ratio and increase of approx 15hp. In addition, I believe that the use of an alternator (vs generator) began with the "series III" cars, although a great deal of the earlier cars have since been converted.

12. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    #13 AndruetBiche, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure where you are getting your information - can you elaborate? Yes, the early sales brochure listed the 8.8;1 CR, however, all factory buildsheets show a steady decline in compression from 9.4 early cars to 9.0 in later cars (see samples shown). The factory literature also was corrected to 9.2 as was the owners manual by the 3rd brochure. Again this has been researched and published by Ferraristi such as Gerald Roush and Hilary Raab. Alan Boe, a GTE owner and acknowledged 250 historian ( I believe a Pebble Beach Ferrari Class Head Judge) in an article in Car Collector and Car Classics writes " Compression ratios and horsepower figures published for the GTE engine vary somewhat. Factory data sheets for individual cars give a compression ratio ranging from 9.0 to 9.4 to 1 whereas the sales literature lists an 8.8 to 1 compression ratio. Research indicates that the lower compression ratios are generally associated with later production vehicles."
    With respect to your horsepower figure are you saying that GTEs like a Series 2 car with 9.2 to1 CR would have 255 bhp? I've never heard that before. The factory quotes 240 bhp even for early cars. One would think the most potent GTE would be a Series 1 built in 1961 (GTEs built to late 1960 had slightly smaller valves) with a 9.4 or 9.3 to 1 and the larger 40 DCL/6 carbs (not the smaller 36 DCS carbs in mid to late cars). A Factory hood scoop would be nice as well.
    As much as I would like to believe these bhp figures most cars probably made no more than 230 bhp.
    BTW I remember your car when it was shown at Grand Rapids at the 93 FCA Nationals. It was parked on the concours field next to mine and Alan Boes. I think it belonged to a Bill Domm - very nice GTE congrats.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The owner's manual says 235 hp. I don't think this figure was ever updated and I also think that gains created by better heads etc. were compensated by lowering the CR, but merely this is just a guess. I also think that it was not in anyone's interest to have more powerful engine in these cars that were designed to serve as daily drivers. Quite the opposite; I think it was purposeful to have a clear difference between the output of a standard and comp engines. Best wishes, Kare

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Simply based on conversations with various mechanics, owners and historians over the years. I've heard theories going both ways (CR lower/higher in later cars) as well as several different horsepower claims and have given more weight to what I've learned from those who have spent time with their noses down in the motors as opposed burried in the books. Even so, there is always someone willing to disagree, so I'll leave it at that.
    Thank you. I purchased the car from Bill on Alan's recommendation (it was featured alongside Alan's car in his GTE article, Cavallino #127). Soon after, we had the motor out and the heads off (for what appeared to be the first time in its 40 year history) for a complete rebuild.

15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    ferraridigest: You ought to post this on Tom Yang's site, there are about 25 250 GTE owners regularly on who also do much of their own work, including the guys who wrote the 250GTE Buyer's Guide, M

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

So when where and how was the dash done? It looks very Jaguar esc.

17. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    That dash is something else....a little "bordello", IMO...

....last three GTE $ales were up there, based on reports in Sports Car Market and other data

Last one in London sold for 255K
    The one sold a couple of months before that sold for 200K, also at the UK auction, methinks
    One in Switzerland sold for ~130K
    I know of two private sales in the last 7 months in the 150-180 range, both #2 cars.

18. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The equation has so many "parts moving" that it will be very difficult to find the truth without knowing how different set-ups performed on dyno when new. Heads, pistons, valves, camshafts - even block and conrods all have their effect on work pressure and output of an engine and I would be very surpriced if there was an engine builder who would be able to put it all together and share his view. Having one's nose in a book is good in that it may be the easiest way to understanding that the equation can hardly be solved without comparing dyno sheets. Best wishes, Kare