First helmet suggestions please | FerrariChat

First helmet suggestions please

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by It's Ross, Feb 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The wife has given me a three day school with Skippy!
    I know they will provide everything but would like my own helmet.
    What would be considered a good bucket for a beginner going to school with the immediate intention of ocassional solo or club events in a sedan car.

2. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Most people have their own preferences, and it really is what is most comfortable on you.

Take our suggestions and find a place (hopefully) where you can try on helmets before committing. I purchased my first helmet based solely on advice and ended up not exactly thrilled with it after a while. It was the feel, the eyeport, the liner, etc. It jsut all came together and made, to me, an awkward experience.

Well, having said that, I went from a big-eyeport Bell M3 Pro (weirdness, to me) to a Bell K-1 Sport, which is more of a formula type helmet. It has a chin spoiler (eh.. ok for when i go karting), and few vents, small eyeport... But that's the feel that I want and like. I don't like open face, and I don't like large eyeport "Sedan" helmets. If i feel confident and comfortable, I drive a lot better, OF COURSE!!!

So good idea getting your own helmet, I just hope you have the chance to make the right decision based on some trial, not just on who you agree with on the msg board.

And, as much as I like my current helmet, my next one will without a doubt be an Arai GP-5. Its the same overall feel, but MUCH better wieght distribution, LIGHTER, more quality, fit and finish, professional, just... beautiful.

3. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

First, find a helmet that fits you well.

Second, buy the best you can afford. Don't ever buy an inexpensive helmet.

Don't buy an open face helmet, either. You might as well wear a towel on your head.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There are other threads about this but the last advice is a good summary but just to be clear do NOT buy over the internet - the variation in fit between sizes makes styles etc etc is unquantifiable and only resolved by trying on

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I say checkout:

www.helmetcity.com

Great people to work with and will answer all of your questions and help fit you over the phone. First helmet I bought from them was a little tight and they paid for the return shipping.

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Second that. Helmets should fit a little tighter than is initially comfortable.

Starting out, vision is of the greatest importance, so get a Bell M3 or an Arai GP-5K, something with a large and wide eyeport.

I recommend CDOC or OG Racing. OG will be glad to exchange something until the fit is proper, but usually can talk you through the initial measurements so you're close, if not spot on.

If you have a chance, try some on a a place with some selection. Stick with the top brands, Bell, Arai, Simpson...

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  8. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
  9. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Depends on how much you value your brains. The best money can buy---nothing less. Things happen-even at school occasionally. Simpson has a long history and although not as "flashy" as some of the others, the quality has always been at the top. Bill Simpson was a racer himself and has the integrity to go with the product...

10. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Go to a local store, try different helmets and wear the one you like for at least 10-15min WITH a balaclava if you are planning on using one. Helmets should have a snug fit and you want to make sure that you are comfortable in it for more than a couple of minutes.

Eye port size will be an issue to consider, for open wheel cars you can go smalller but people tend to go for larger port size for club events.

Buy a well known brand like Bell, Arai, Simpson, etc. High end helmets will most likely be an overkill but don't just go for the lowest price.

If you think you'll take a bit more seriously IMO the best buy for a "reasonable" price is an Arai GP5-k
    www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Driver/24-Helmets/item-1250-ARAI-GP-5-K-SA2005-HELMET

If you want to stay at a lower price point check out the some of Bell's entry level selection

11. SpeedPak

SpeedPak Rookie

Oct 10, 2007
    Since Bill Simpson has left 'Simpson Helmets', I just thought I'd point out that his new company 'Impact Helmets' seems pretty good. I am personally debating between a Bell and an Impact. I have used a Simpson Voyager for the last 7 years without any issues.

Impact is HQ'd in Indiana, you may just want to drive down there and take a look.

12. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I wear a Simpson myself and I am very happy with it.

Bill Simpson is not with the company any longer, I thinkit has something to do with Dale Earnhardt's accident IIRC. He has started a competing firm.

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    That Arai is what I bought for my wife.

I've used Bell exclusively for the last fifteen years and go through one nearly every other year. It gets very hot in the Southeast in the summer...

I started with a Simpson Voyager. Great starter helmet. Now that I race mostly open cars, the Bell Vortex and Dominator work the best.

I tried a Sparco WTT-F1, NFG. Proof positive that high price does not always correlate with better quality, fit or finish, at least with helmets...

Wouldn't recommend G-Force, MotoQuality, Bieffe or Impact based on user reports.

14. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    When will Schuberth sell to the public???

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Call and find out.

16. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Wow, I really like my Bieffe's. I've had 2 over the last 6 years. Then again I only go to 2-3 club events a year but I find mine very comfortable even when we go karting. That's where the advice comes in...Try them on before you buy!

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have two Bieffes myself. Love em. They are very lightweight which helps the neck after a long weekend at the track. However, Bieffe went out of business. =/

18. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I have a Bieffe F1GP and really like the fit and the fact that it does not have any vents for open wheel racing. Quality on my Bieffe is very good (too bad they went out of business) and is very stable at high speeds. I also have a Bell M3 that is ventilated and suits me better for karting.

In the end it's all a matter of driver needs, personal preference and head shape (and budget?). Helmets insides are different and some fit certain individuals better, pretty much like designer clothing, they have a model head shape that varies among manufacturers. (Unless you are an F1 driver and have your helmet custom made of course).

19. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Excellent choice, that's my next helmet :)

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Shoei X-11--I think it's the best readily available helmet in the US...

I wear one every time I straddle my Duc...

Greg

21. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    One gets one if one buys an FXX :)

I'll add another vote to go to the store and try them on. I had a bieffe for a number of years that fit great, but just upgraded to Arai GP5-W which has the wider eyeport than the GP5, good for me since I wear glasses.

Weight is a big consideration, in a 20G frontal crash, an extra lb in your helmet is an extra 20lbs of inertia.

If you are going to do more racing, then a Hans is essential.

22. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    This is why i want my next helmet to be an Arai GP5. Not only is it very very light, its also hand laid with a design to keep the weight which is there as low as possible, not only performing better in crash testing, but putting less stress on your neck while driving...

23. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Motorcycle helmets are NOT car helmets. For. The. Last. Freaking. Time.

24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    IMO I would get the cheapest Snell approved helmet and put the rest towards a HANS device. The weights of most Snell helmets are comparable.
    Get the helmet a bit snug to the point that you have to wonder if it is uncomfortable. You will forget comfort when the flag drops and will want a non-bobble head fit from then on.
    The point of buying a helmet based on the price of your head is an old one. If you judge by that standard get the million dollar helmet. As a matter of fact I have a spare one. LMK ;)

25. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    If you wear glasses or sunglasses, make sure the opening is big enough to put them through. I do, didn't check and had to return one. Always found the dark eye shade on the helmet itself not clear or sharp enough compared to qua;ity sunglassses.