OMGJON's Flairs - A Discussion | Page 4 | FerrariChat

OMGJON's Flairs - A Discussion

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    This message is completely out of line. I think you can chalk it up to jealousy so Jon should just be flattered.

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Nice pants Pietro!! Bell bottoms baby!! ;)

3. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    YOU are just jealous....

Piertro

4. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The part of this post that intrigues me is "...the factory never intended". I was under the naive impression that the Ferrari factory offered options in the 1970s. I had no idea that the "factory" (whoever that may be - Enzo perhaps) had a plan to build a perfect blend of colors, options, and accessories to ensure that all drivers cut the perfect 'bella figura'.

Ferrari built to order. Jon is re-creating those options, and doing a beautiful job of it.

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    No need to ridicule anyone for their opinion. Jon spoke his mind. Diversity of opinion and diversity of Dinos is what makes life interesting. If we insult everyone with an opinion that deviates from our own, we silence ideas...and this is bad.

TomTerry expressed his thoughts. Harsh they may be. But this is his opinion. Simple, polite disagreement is in order and is the civil approach.

Now flame me.

Jim S.

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005

Hey Pietro, are you still the steward of those pants too? If not, at least you kept your Dino! .....and kept it so pristine! :eek:

7. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I didn't notice the Dino in the picture, just the pants. Classic picture, I love it.

8. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    Whilst it was Johns response to my post that got this thread started.I would like to say that i am firmly in the camp with the guys who say he has the absolute right to do the things he has done to HIS car. How can adding things that were factory original be wrong mearly because they were not on the car the day it left the factory( bearing in mind it could have been ordered from the factory with most of these things done from day 1).I said I hate flares and that didnt change but i have no problem with them on other peoples Dinos. The other mods he has done can only be described as sensible to make the car more user friendly. My car was white when it left the factory its Rosso Corsa now and later it will be become Dino orange its just about to get a nice Moto lita wood rimmed steering wheel and the original black vinyl interior will be tossed in favour of leather and a set of new 16" cromodora wheels guess what i dont care what any body thinks about that. ITS MINE. So John despite my Flares comment i am one of the many admirers and looking forward to seeing its first trip appearing on you tube. All the best

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Well said and i think Jons works has certainly raised the bar in standard setting. It just goes to show what talent is about.

Agree with Daves post too, we all have an opinion, its just how we express it.

On the subject of leather seats, i see Superformance UK are doing leather seat kits, door panels, head rest and bulkhead for the 246.

Called in today to pick up some bits and pieces and the quality is pretty good. In fact it is really good quality. The heat mould on the breather vents is identical to the original daytona style. I am advised they can do the Daytona inserts as well.

Tony

10. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I sent you a PM with the story...

11. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I have been watching with interest the photos of Superformances imminent move on their website..... i take it that it hasnt happened quite yet then?

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    No not yet, they reckon around March / April !!

Must admit they are struggling for space now. Vastly expanding their 246 (and 328,348,355) range and have some exciting additions to the dino range coming shortly. Many obsolete bits and components are being remade to a a very high standard.

Tony

13. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Is this car only one of two original flaired cars? How rare is that? 1974 European GTS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-DINO-74-FERRARI-246-GTS-DINO-FACTORY-TARGA-FLAIRS-CHAIRS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6212QQihZ016QQitemZ260205931829QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

14. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    AAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh! Talk about pimp my ride! Those wheels........ Have they been chromed??? The steering wheel!..... It's sitting too high on its suspension and loads more!!!!! And some have the audacity to knock Johns car?

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I think they need a dictionary to determine the exact meaning of "excellent"

Trim falling off the doors for starters, many more too!!

16. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    While owners are free to do what they want with their cars, the previous owner of this car needed a good friend or two to say STOP!

Nasty.

17. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Horses on the wheels! And the carpets! And the nose! Yessssssssss! After all, Dinos are really Ferraris, aren't they?

Who was that Dino guy, anyway?

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  19. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
  20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Tom Terry's issues would probably be relevant, in my view, to a very rare car, such as an important race car whose history is written in its patina and specification. It would be relevant too, probably, to a "time-capsule" car, which might impose on the owner some responsibility to preserve it as a standard for posterity (so we can answer "was the header tank painted glossy or satin black" and such questions). I would not envy that poor owner.

Luckily (or maybe unluckily), our Dinos don't fall into either category, so we have a great deal of leeway in our enjoyment of the car. The limit would be, in my case, modifications that the factory never offered, maybe wings or spoilers or large, bulbous flares. The addition of an option available on the model (flares, Daytona seats) is completely acceptable to me. I would delete the side-markers and use the European-spec fromt markers on my US-spec Dino if that weren't such a difficult job. (Note - if someone would develop a bolt-in flush-lens front indicator lamp, I wuld buy it instantly!)

Jon's work is fantastic, and his documentation of his restoration will benefit so many. I hope it will always be available for future reference. Thank you, Jon.

It is good we have different opinions on the flares; the thread would be monotonous and boring otherwise. Like Vrooom, I like the Campgnolos on un-flared Dinos - more muscular and aggresive with the tires sticking out. Here's my car

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #96 abstamaria, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I believe, abstamaria, that you have put the entire issue into perspective, and did so elegantly. Thank you.

Jim S.

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Beautiful car. Is that the original color? What is the color code?

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #99 abstamaria, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you. It is the original color but the car was repainted once in its life about 15 or 20 years ago. The previous owner (who had the car about 10 years) recognized the car in one of our Ferrari Chat discussions and privately wrote me a long letter describing his experience with the car, including the repaint. Very nice of him. He said the repaint was close, but that the original finish was much nicer, and he regretted having to repaint. It's a metallic paint - Dino blue? - which seems to look like Jon's color. It just turned 11,000 miles.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I looked at my last post and realized I forgot to mention the reason for the picture of the side of the Dino, It shows off the standard flares quite well and that the Campagnolos really don't stick out. The tire tread stays well within the bodywork. Ultimately, it's a matter of what one likes, and no one can argue with that. When looking for a Dino, I was looking for a GT with flares!

I must have the same color paint as John Corbani's Dino.