Best "drives" in the metro area? | FerrariChat

Best "drives" in the metro area?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Noel, Nov 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I live downtown and wanted to know what people thought were the best areas to go for a drive around here are? Sheridan road through the northern burbs is okay, anything better?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I still think a ride on Lake Shore Drive from the Jackson Park (South of the Science & Industry museum) all the way North to its end is one of the most scenic drives anywhere on the planet. I compare it with a ride from Nice airport to the Boulevard des Anglais or from Ipanima beach all the way to the Naval academy in Rio.

Other fun drives are of course Lower Wacker on a weekend with your windows open or roof off.

I also like the "scenic route around Lake Michigan", which North of LSD continues through the villas of Evanston all the way to the Bahai temple. For some sections you have to put your damper settings on soft though.

3. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Great thread, I have been thinking it would be great to get a list of fun drives in Metro Chicago. For a little longer drive, the back roads to Starved Rock is a fantastic senic country drive. I have done it twice this fall!

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Continue further north and you'll go through the ravines. Twisty, hilly and scenic!

5. DonC

DonC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    Sheridan Road up through the northern suburbs is very scenic, but awfully low speed in a Ferrari (limit is 30 mph most of the way).

My favorite drive is up to Road America early on a Saturday morning in the summer. The drive up is pretty boring (except for the anticipation of getting to the track), but the roads up there are much more fun.

6. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Definitely the underbody of the city! Tunnels and no traffic

7. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

that's it?

8. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    The best drives are with friends enjoying common interests. It doesn't matter where we go or how long it takes, just that we go and do.

9. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I can assure you that ripping down twisty roads with my girlfriend giggling is more fun than sitting behind a bus on clark street never leaving first gear.

10. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Darrolls wrote "Continue further north and you'll go through the ravines. Twisty, hilly and scenic!"

Just a warning, I live right there. There are a couple reasons to not drive through the ravines at anything over the posted 20 MPH.

#1 - the Winnetka and Glencoe police love to ticket sportscars here. I have a few on my resume with my Dino and Daytona.
    #2 - the trees that line the ravines keep the moisture on the road. Look at the pretty paint colors on the Armco.
    #3 - while bicycles are not allowed there (because of people like me :) there is usually a few cyclists that run through there.
    #4 - the Adams Driver training academy uses this for new teen aged drivers.
    #5- soccer moms, mini vans, cell phones....all at the same time.

Sorry guys, IMHO there are no good roads within 20 miles of here that are worth driving.

Joe Seminetta

"proud supporter of Hillary Rodman Clinton for Senate in 2008"

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I didn't say anything about 'Ripping' through the Ravines. A nice leisurely drive at 20 mph is fine with me! ;)

And don't bring politics into this!!! :D

12. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Sorry, did not say that you did say anything about speeding through the Ravines. Just a warning for those who might be tempted to road test their on one of the best sets of local curves.

jts

13. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
  14. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Seems like out in Barrington is a great place to let your engine rev a bit and while not the most scenic or curvaceous roads...It is nice to be out there with open roads and away from all the congested traffic.

15. 355 Fixer-uper

355 Fixer-uper Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ok, I don’t want to pick on Starved Rock because it is just about the best ‘scenic’ drive outside the city in the area but it really does not get your heart racing and your blood pumping. It is just a nice scenic drive. Take a girlfriend/wife/goodbuddy and have a nice drive talking, sharing thoughts and pondering life’s mysteries. Now it you want an exiting drive, take 290 into the city a little after midnight on a weekday. Hit the exit for ramp for Lower Wacker drive and make as much noise under the city as you can! Follow that around unit you get to Columbus, make a right and then another right onto South Water (the first light on Columbus). Now you will notice that there is a ramp going down on your left. At the stop sign make a tight left turn and take the ramp up. A little drift may be necessary;) That will put you on the top level. Where you go from here is up to you. You could go Michigan and head north to Ontario to get back on 90/94. You could get on LSD and head south to I55 to 90/94 to do it again or you could take LSD up to Sherdian Road and continue north like some people have already talked about. It all depends on the mood. Just remember that there is an all night Starbucks on the corner of North and Wells and you don’t have to pay the meter after 12. Be careful if you don’t have a front plate, they got me once already for that. Fifty bucks gone.

Honestly, the really great drives are the long weekend trips to TN/NC. It is ~600 miles from Chicago to Deals Gap and you won’t be disappointed. The cops are getting worse at the gap but there are tons of side roads that aren’t monitored. And don’t complain about it being too far, I do it on my motorcycle at least once a year. I personally think that area has some of the best and most exciting drives the US. Maybe even the world if we don’t count the Nuremburg.(sp?)

There is a reason people from WI call us flatlanders! It is just too flat here!

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

Lower Wacker Drive at night/weekend and LSD is hard to beat. It tickles all your senses. Particularly with the roof off. :)