OMGJON's Flairs - A Discussion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

OMGJON's Flairs - A Discussion

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If the ones on the grey car are original and correct then Jon's flares point up rather than slope down above the rear wheels at the top of the openings. Maybe they're all a little different, his just appear larger and angled a little different than factory ones. Im not a fan either but then again I think dino's are overpriced even if they are nice looking.

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #27 TonyL, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I personally think they look fantastic, i own an original so i would i quess. Everyone to their own opinion, either you love, tolerate or hate them.

I think it gives the car a slight aggresive feel but does in no way distract from the beauty of the car. The larger tyres give it a more rugged appeal which i love too! Prone to stone chips is the disavantage though.

Jons add-ons look pretty good to me and he obviously gave it a lot of thought before doing it.

Tony

PS excuse the broken dino badge, it got caught when polishing it
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Does the Dino registor point which Dino flares are factory and the others not originals?

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I think they look great!

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What "larger tyres"? Factory tyre/tire sizes were the same (205/70VR14) for flares and non-flares 246 Dinos. Only the wheel width was different. Or, are you running a non-factory spec size tyre/tire?

Mark

6. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    #31 vrooom, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i like the combination of campy wheels and a non flared fender. the flares open up the wheel opening, leaving more of a gap from the top of the tire to the fender edge. actually makes the tire/wheel look smaller. campy wheels being 7 " seem to fill up the wheel well better on a non flare car. most likely they have a different offset than the cromodoras as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Standard tyres Mark, 205VR14, but the campy wheels are larger as you rightly point out. Thats what i was referring to.

The wheel opening size is exactly the same on both type of wings.

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Actually, the Campys are 7.5" wide.

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    This is THE right question.

Preference for flares or no flares is a matter of taste. I personally think they look very much out of character with the Dino's exquisite and soft lines.

Modifying a car to flares, on the other hand, introduces yet another element of confusion and potential misrepresentation among Dinos, a part from the substantial body work it implies.

I think it's a shame. And I suspect the car's creators would be horrified.

That being said, my heartfelt congratulations to Jons for an extraordinary job on his Dino (sorry, just with the exception of the flares...)

Julio

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Julio, life is full of opinions!

11. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Indeed Tony, that's because everybody has one!

12. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    My gut is that Pininfarina did not design the flares feature into the Dino but rather Ferrari on their own created the modification themselves after the fact.

13. sc67vette

sc67vette Karting

Feb 28, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Knock offs were finished in '66. That's why '67 Vettes with the optional aluminum wheel were bolt on.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Looks like they (Ferrari) made the mod in 10 minutes myself ... very amature design IMO.

Now that I have had such good photos to look at, I'm firmly in the no flares team. Note I also do not like the flares on the competition Daytonas either ...
    Pete

15. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    I would have to agree.

A friend of mine set out to buy a Ferrari Dino. His intention was to buy the best car he could find and enter it in car shows. He decided he wanted to buy a flaired car due to it's rarity.

After a long search a car of his interest came up. Before he could authenticate the car his wife purchased it as a surprise gift for his birthday. At one of the car shows he learned the flairs were not original.

The car was sold at auction.

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I never intend to enter a car show and with all the photos I would have a pretty hard time representing it as an original flared car. On the other hand my black coupe is an original flares car 1 of 5 USA models. I got rid of my black non flared spyder to get the coupe. So I guess you could say I'm on the extreme other end of the scale. It's a good thing we all are different or we would would all be driving the same thing and have nothing to discuss. Even though I'm on the extreme side with flares I'm also on the extreme side without flares. I just LOVE Dino's, all colors, USA or Euro ,coupe or spider, flares or non flares, chairs or no chairs, they are all the sexiest cars ever made in my humble opinion.

17. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    I would aggree with you about Ferrari Dino's. Can anyone name a more glamorous looking car?

Could you answer a question about original flairs please? I was told you can tell if a Dino has original flairs by feeling under the flair where it is attached to the body. I was told the original flair does not have a weld that follows the whole flair. There are gaps in the weld. I was told that when flairs are added the welder welds on the flair in one weld.

Since you have both examples a comment would be much appreciated.

18. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Did I just dream this, or were all the original flared cars spyders?

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope, it was a dream.

Chairs and flairs are unusual but not unheard of in a GT

20. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Chassis 07168 is an original flared, right hand drive 1973 Dino GT. How rare is that?

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Miura

22. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I think US-version coupes with flares are the rarest of all.

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not so sure about that, apparently only approx 23 RHD UK GT versions were made. That was in the 70's. How many are left , your quess is as good as mine.

Tony

24. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    That's because the GT's are made for driving!

25. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just for laughs: I'm curious what people here think about flares on another car that has a strident flares/non-flares debate: the Shelby Cobra?

Do the flare lovers/haters see a difference there?