Roland's F40 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Roland's F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Jati, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Actually RufMD you might find this amusing. It would appear there is a certain F-Chatter who already believes the F40 is a million dollar motorcar. :D

At current exchange rates: 500,000.00 GBP = 979,485.53 USD

= = = = = =

Now back to your regularly scheduled Roland bash fest...

>8^)
    ER

2. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

hahahaha ! In writing too !

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    REALLY!?!

A burned F40 chassis with a Ferrari engine and some Ferrari parts is proof it is a Ferrari F40? Sure, I will accept opinions either way, but you are in shaky territory here talking about proof.

Martin, you really are burning yourself on this. I don't think you've misrepresented the ad calling it "what it is". I suggest you stop misrepresenting Roland too and call him "what it is" as Roland's own words on video, in posts, in his profile, and first hand accounts from many tell a different story than what you're trying to sell.

The car and Roland are what they are, people can value both as they will. I suggest you don't go down with a ship already sunk.

4. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Martin - You can ignore my post completely - but as a 3rd party observer, I would have to say that you are not doing yourself any favors on this thread. A thread with 1000's of views.

Best

5. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
  6. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I stand behind my previous post. The car is simply a "modified F40." Nothing more and nothing less.

"Modified" has many implications and goes both ways - either more or less. It is a fact that the chassis - albeit burned and heavily damaged - was/is a F40 frame. It wasn't made as an aftermarket piece. It was rebuilt, rewelded, and reworked. It's not unlike a crashed Ferrari that is fixed. It's still a Ferrari. The frame was fixed. It's a Ferrari frame. The engine is a F40 engine - albeit (again) a modified one but still a F40 engine. It's not a Chevy big block made to look like a Ferrari engine.

In the end this is a Ferrari F40. A heavily modified (for better or for worse) Ferrari F40. It has some body pieces to make it look like a LM just like a Porsche GT3RS has a wing and front bumper made to look like the RSR racing version.

Those who keep indicating that it is not a Ferrari F40 either haven't seen the car (which I have on many occassions) or simply have a different interpretation of what percentage of (OEM) parts is required to deem something to be what it originally was versus a replica or something else.

I know Roland and have spoken to him many times. A very gracious guy. That being said - I agree with those who have stated that Roland erred in his judgement when making false claims about himself and the car. That was a clear mistake on his part.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Martin, IMO, you should absolutely consider this friendly advice.

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Oooooops!

I must state without reservation that I meant dollars not pounds!! When dealing my fellow pound-weilding Englishmen from my dollar-based position in the USA, I should be more careful not to confuse the dollars and pounds.

I meant to say "Half-million-dollar car".

My mistake completely...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

9. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Rob et. al.:
    you are missing the point completely. For one I am not excusing or trying to defend Roland in whatever some of you say he has done to you. Not my place, not my fight, not my point.
    This thread is about the car and not the man. There is absolutely no question that this car was built off a Ferrari F40. The chassis is an F40 and was used to built this car. The engine is nothing but an F40 engine. Not a 348 engine that looks like a F40 engine. This, by everything Ferrari has ever done in their own factory and at custom body shops in and around Maranello, makes the car an F40.
    Now if you claim that only real body parts make the car truly and F40 that this car would indeed be an F40LM since is has actual LM parts. And this is where I disagree with you. Body never makes the car one thing or another. I cut into my fenders to recess aftermarket shields. Did that strip me off my 348 being a Ferrari?
    Is altering the frame considered losing the "Ferrari" status? In that case, your 355Challenge would not be a Ferrari anymore since you had to modify your roll cage, which is directly linked to your frame and as such considered frame work. Of course that is not the case, because that would be rediculous.

Discussing the car, not tha man: The car is what it is. Whatever you feel Roland has/had misrepresented to others in the past, it was not done by myself or in terms of trying to sell the car to someone. The history of this car is way to public to even try such a rediculous thing. I never have nor will I ever misrepresent the car as something it is not. Personally this car holds a higehr value the way it is with all of its built history. It was done by excellent mechanics (Dave Helms, David Castelhano and his guys Enzo, Bill and others). Their sweat and hard work is what is being tarnished here.

Take this simple test and consider this thread is about the car:

If this car would not belong to Roland Linder as of today, would you still bash it the same way you do right now?

10. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Oh well, you know me and handling "advise" :)

11. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    you mean where he actually writes:

"The LM front clip is totaly differnt from the stock. You have to slide the nose toward the front, than the extractor is accessible. My front is a copy of Benny's GTE. Remember that the radiator is in a different position and also quiet different in size.
    The sway bar is on top and not under the axle. The air jack is locate there too"

admitting that his front is a copy of a GTE not even an LM?

Not sure what you are trying to explain here. Then again....you are talking about Roland and not the car.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Wasnt the subject of this thread allowed an esteemed position on the hallowed lawn at Cavallino alongside the other so-called genuine F40s last year according to images recently posted?

And havent several other well-known Ferraris speciafically NOT been granted the same?

Just curious...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tru. It was right in the center of the photo of Cavallino in the Palm Beach Paper (Post?) as well. As I also remember a converted/cut 275 GTB (Not a NART) was also on the lawn.

Go figure...

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ah.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm actually giving Roland more credit because I have met him a few times and like him.

My view has been made clear, I am clear on yours. I don't think you have done anything illegal or shady. My main motivation was expressing why I thought this wasn't a $600k car. Although I would only pay $150k for it, I know you have offers higher and it may be worth $600k to someone. If they pay that much knowing everything I know, then I respect the transaction.

16. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Why isn't this locked yet........what a waste of space IMO.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    why? I was thinking thread of the month. :) FerrariChat.com is a level setting field where everyone is free to an opinion, through skill and experience you can determine the opinions you should apply more weight. I know sometimes dealers and others wish FerrariChat.com wasn't around, in the old days the playing field wasn't so level and more profit opportunities existed.

This thread is perfect example of the value FerrariChat.com offers to the community.

18. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    While I agree to a point. Many on here are saying some bad things about Mr. Linder. Slander comes to mind......

I could care less, it's fun reading. Just is on the border of getting out of hand if you ask me.

19. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

It ain't slander when it's true.....

20. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado
    HA! This is the biggest BS I have ever read on this site. IMHO

21. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I don't really see the "joke" here; I think it's the most accurate description of the car I've seen.

22. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Here, Martin, I find myself in complete agreement with you.

As for the car, I hate the cliché, but it's worth what someone will pay for it. There's enough information here and elsewhere for any real buyer to make a fully informed decision. Based exclusively on MY personal experience with Roland, I believe he will approach the transaction from a position of full disclosure.

At this point, there's no excuse for anyone who really wants this car not to know just exactly what he's buying.

23. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Why do you say that? There is more information about more Ferraris on this site than on any other site on the web. If you are able to use the search function and are objective you can learn a great deal about many cars and many people. There are people who post here that you are able to PM to gain even more knowledge. More information means a more informed decision: for example if you are considering purchasing a certain Ferrari type, or even a specific car within that model type.....or not.

Just to reiterate my point above.

24. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    No. I meant where each post is signed of with F40LM at the end of it...