XJ220 on Dupont for 250K? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

XJ220 on Dupont for 250K?

Discussion in 'British' started by andrew101010, May 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow, some real money being spent there on cars. I had a hard time reading that website though!

2. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    There is one for sale in Geneva, for like 250K with 600 miles. I've seen it myself.

3. noviyecco

noviyecco Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2006
    Ukraine,Kyiv
    Full Name:
    Peter Fromel
    price in euro?

4. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    time for someone to do and engine swap in an XJ220.........tubo LS1 wouldn't be bad......:)

5. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    xj220 prices are all over the place. One sold on ebay last year for 160k...belonged to a Jag enthusiast, fully serviced, would have been a good buy. Anyone expecting to get over 200k for a stock xj220 is dreaming. The realworld selling prices are closer to 180k.

Then there is the issue of servicing. If you call the only place in the USA that was licensed by Jag to service them, in Muncie Indiana, they will tell you flat out they are a pain in the arse to service. Parts are either no longer produced, or hard to find. Cam Seals are especially hard to find, and leaking cam covers are a constant problem.

The car idles a bit rough, much as a 6 cylinder car might, but is a demon on boost (very very fast !)

I like the exterior styling, but the interior is dated and the driver seat bolster collapses easily.

I really liked these cars, but the more serious I got about acquiring one and the more questions I asked, the less desirable it became.

For 150k, a good buy. Anything more is a money pit.

JMHO

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If anyone is interested Pininfarina still has the fastest Brunei car that is Euro legal and can be bought for a very fair price. They did a lot of engineering that makes it more usable and can provide spares and service.

7. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Saw a vid not to long ago where the Jag race a Murci, or a Zonda or something, Cant remember exactly which car it was but I didnt expect it to do that well, boy was I wrong. The Jag flat out smoked the other car. If somebody can find the vid, have a look. It might have even been an F40, but like I said cant remember.

8. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Thats the Jag I want!.

9. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHC5JTZdedE

you talkin about this one?.

10. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Yup, thats the one, It shocked me how much faster it was than a Zonda.

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Contact Pininfarina

Paolo Garella
    Special Projects

Their contacts are on the web

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

14. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Remember that those these cars have the leaky fuel cells that must be replaced if you intent on driving the car at all. We did one last year for local owner who sourced the new tanks from France at a cost of over $12k USD plus shipping from Europe. The job entailed disassembly of a good portion of the car which resulted in the replacement of another $20k in parts. Total bill was approaching $50k when the owner pulled the plug . The car still has rattling exhaust manifolds and warm a/c. That was another $15k we decided put on hold. OUCH!!! the car was very unhappy in the Florida heat.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Engineering something right from the beginning is a lot easier than fixing it later.

Ouch 4 Sure!

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And the problem is worse than a leaky fuel cell in your Euro F40 or Mclaren F1 because the XJ220 monocoque is EPOXIED honeycomb aluminum panels. Guess what happens to the
    epoxy when the gasoline starts leaking on to it? It dissolves, and there have been instances of expensive monocoque repairs being required, and I am sure there are instances of
    the expensive repairs being ignored. What does this mean? It means the PPI had better be done by someone who knows what he is doing. Buying one of these cars is a risky proposition
    if you are not fully informed, maybe even if you are.