Cold start trumpet sound | FerrariChat

Cold start trumpet sound

Discussion in '308/328' started by airdelroy, Oct 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    I like to think that my car is trumpeting my return. My wife thinks its farting at me...

When I start the car when its cold (first start in over 8 hours) the car will make a trumpet sound for maybe 5 to 10 secs. And by trumpet I mean what I would sound like if I picked one up and attempted to play (and got a note out). It raises in pitch across the 5-10 sec and then stops. Anyone ever heard of this before? The only think I can think of is that I have some kind of exhaust leak that seals up pretty quickly after starting.

thanks,
    Aaron

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What year is your car and do you only hear it when it's cold?
    Does the trumpet sounds out of tune? if it does it needs a tune up, just kidding:D

3. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    Ha!! No its perfectly in tune. Well, at least I could not do any better...

Its an 85 308 euro. It does have an aftermarket exhaust, a Larnin I believe. Its also really hard to determine where the sound is coming from. I had my wife start it while I had my nose in the engine bay. Perhaps I should put it on jackstands and crawl under it.

Aaron

4. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I've heard that sound too, my first (the red) GT4 used to make it every so often. No idea what it was, but it never seemed to bother anything!

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Did you check your belts and pulleys for tension and glazing?

Maybe you ran over that damn AFLAC duck!!!!!!!

:)

Jim

6. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    #6 airdelroy, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I didnt see any feathers when I was checking the belts. The belts seem fine. Although I dont know if the tension is right, but seems fine.

I have attached an mp3 that has the sound. Just incase anyone is interested in hearing it. Im not too worried about this. I just find it interesting.

Also usually the sound is a consistent note that increases in frequency for about 5 secs. This mp3 plays 2 short notes.

Aaron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the same thing on my 328....only happens during the winter...strange...

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #8 308 GTB, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I listened to your mp3 file a few times and it reminds me of The Little Rascals episode where Wheezer and Stymie bake a "surprise cake" with all sorts of things inside. The rubber glove in the cake made the same sound:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I'm sure my post was absolutely of no benefit to you, Aaron.

10. phdev

phdev Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Mason
    I'm sorry I'm not contributing here but LMAO! reminds me of people fitting duck calls to their blow off valves on STIs etc

11. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
    From all the information that I see on this post. Personally I would look at the the cold start injector or the Injector Vac. lines as Barry said " sounds like a rubber glove" or Rubber Hose. Just a thought, next time you start the car clamp off the vacuum line to the injector once it starts to trumpet see if that takes away the sound.

have fun.

12. hackrider

hackrider Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    '83Qv, I have a similar sound at times. But I thought it was comming from the f/i accumulator.

Hack

13. John J.

John J. Karting

Sep 4, 2007
    South West England
    Too Funny :D

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The exact same sound happens on carb'd cars once in a while, don't ask me how I know. :)

15. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Mine's carbed. Never heard this sound though... Might have something to do with the emission control stuff?? I don't have that, and all that air pumps, canisters, hoses, test tubes and what have you might create all sorts of funny air flows, and thus options for strange sounds...

Hans

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I'm sure that's all it is.

As with Hans, my carbed car has never made a noise like that either. I do get a vacuum closing "thump" when I shut down after a highway drive.

17. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    Ill try this in the morning and see what I get.

Aaron

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Its done that for years and infact from when I first got it. I did a seach on the old fchat archives and several guys had the same thing-the oil cooler inlet moulding vibrating. have your wife hold her hand on the moulding at start up and see if it stops.

19. Abarth

Abarth Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Hey, your car sounds great.
    Except from that trumpet noise.
    First I thought this was a joke, but it isn’t, is it? lol.
    Tell your wife to start the car, put a finger on the cold starting injector and feel if it is vibrating a lot.
    Next test is to disconnect the electrical connector from the injector the same second the car starts to see if the sound disappears, my imagination tells me it comes from the injection system.
    The reason is, when we were playing with the old Volvo 240 turbo, we increased the fuel pressure to get more fuel to the engine and at a certain point we got similar sounds from the injectors due to the higher pressure.
    Can’t hurt to test it.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    its not the injection, see above, it happens to carb'd cars also

21. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I may have posted one of those messages/replys in the old F'Chat...

I can definitely say that it is a combination of the oil cooler duct and oil cooler itself, that resonates with the flow of cold oil through the cooler.

I installed a B&M cooler (with a custom-made duct to fit it) a few years ago and as this one is larger and more efficient than the original cooler, it trumpets for a bit longer and a bit louder! ;)

22. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Exactly what Peter said on my car as well(GT4).I replaced the oil cooler on my car as well and it does it every once in a while on start up.It sounds like the oil draining out of the cooler after shutdown and rushing though on start up.I've replaced the three rubber mounts that mount the oil cooler as well and it didn't stop it

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My car 86 328 makes a very hi pitched trumpet sound as well.. cold start valve moving around... only does it when its below 50 F.... does not seem to affect anything... my mechanic said leave it alone... dont think its a major issue.

24. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    My '83 QV Euro does this noise every time I start it (hot or cold). I have no smog equipment on it either. Mine only lasts about 2-4 sec. right after the engine catches on start up. It does not seem to affect anything on performance and I never hear it again till re-starting. I thought it might be a loose pulley belt slipping momentarily or (I shutter to think) one of the cam belt tensioner pulley bearings.

So, the concensus is that it is something with the oil cooler then - and there is no solid remedy?

25. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    My 75 GT4 does it about 80% of the time on cold start and I've always been a bit concened, but it's nice to finally have what looks like an answer.

A search of the older threads found this one to have a good explanation:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/255902.html

Based on this description, it would be interesting to know if oil viscosity might not have a little to do with it.

Are those of you who have experienced this noise running 20-50 or lighter oil?