Feasible project? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Feasible project?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by preston400i, Jan 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    400i speedster. Like SCCA F-Production style. <grin>

2. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Anybody know if it's it unusual for the dash to be the same tan leather as the rest of the interior? I've never seen a 400 that way.

Al

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #103 dstacy, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    preston400i,
    Have you had a chance to check the health of the engine again or find out what's wrong with it? Although the smart money is still on "get out while you can," I still think this could be a fun project, but only if the engine checks out. If not, put it back up on ebay.

And although I might be crazy, this is my suggestion: get ricar116's cracked window and install it, put the new roof on (if you can do the work for cheap), and drive the car as-is, fixing the electrical problems in your spare time. Then just drive the heck out of the car as-is (for less than $8k all-in), and just have some fun with the car?

In a perfect world, it would be wonderful to make this car mint condition, but in the real world, where this car is not worth much, just put it back together as best you can with rubber bands and have fun with it. If you do this, I would almost guarantee you'll get your money out of it.

No prize winner, no show-stopper, just a cool and fun Ferrari that you can drive and have fun with.

5. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    My thoughts exactly. When I first bought this thing, I was totally gung-ho about doing it right. I was going to get all the parts I needed, get the body done professionally with a high-end paint job, and make it as perfect as I could. Now, knowing that the car won't ever be worth what I thought it might be, I'm thinking I can live with a few flaws. I'll ignore the cracked front lenses (especially at $750) pull a few dents, smear a little bondo, turn Maaco or Earl Scheib loose on it, and then just drive the hell out of it. It may blow up before I go through one tank of gas, but excrement happens.

I still need to pressure test the cooling system, but if that checks out then I'm going ahead with it. If the only thing that happens is it dribbles some antifreeze on the floor once in a while, I can live with that.

6. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I wish you the best of luck, and I hope it brings you a lot of fun with minimal headaches ;) Keep us updated with your progress.
    David

7. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    http://www.specializeditalianrecycling.com/default.htm

they seem to have the parts you need. Or you can sell the car to them?

Seems to me with some work you can do yourself and some help from a good bodyshop, in the slow hours to cut the cost, you can have results..

8. 400 gts

400 gts Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    B.I.
    Did you look at all the hose connections etc. as suggested. I had a similar problem with my 30721. After changing several of the hoses and adjusting the clamps on others, it appears to be fine. It is normal for the water level to go down looking at the filler area when you run the engine, and for it to go back up afterwards. As a matter of fact, the rad should not be totally full.

Sorry to see the damage. Did you know the extent when you purchased the car?

400 gts

9. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    I read that thread about filling the cooling system, so that was probably part of the problem as I filled it right to the top.

I did know the extent of the body damage when I purchased the car. I was prepared for that part of it. The coolant leak gave me a scare but I can't find anything terminally wrong, so, full speed ahead.

I'm going to start a thread documenting the progress of the project, but here's what's happened so far: the interior has been gutted, the quarter windows removed, and the caved-in part of the roof has been jacked out so the passenger door will open. All that remains is to remove the rear window and the roof can be transplanted.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  11. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Preston400i,
    How's the project coming along?

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Being a skeptical person that I am I guess the previous owner overheated the engine with a minor leak and blew the head gaskets. He likely had "agreed value" insurance and arranged a low-speed rollover to collect his agreed value. He might have bought it back from the insurance company with an attempt to sell it as a lightly damaged, "good running" car. I have NO knowledge about this car; it just sounds like a "professional accident".
    Ken

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Any update?

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
  15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    There are no cheap short cuts.

16. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Preston
    I believe getting both head gaskets changed with a valve job thrown in will cost $9-14K. Brett might give you his cost to do the job even though he is a long way from CO. I think the more common head gasket failure is compression into the water.

Consider that the roll-over might have been an insurance ploy. If the owner had collector's car insurance with an agreed value of $20K+ and he was looking at $20K worth of pending bills, how about a 'little rollover' to fix it all. (I have no knowledge to say this, so I don't want a libel suit from the previous owner. I hope no one was injured in the crash, however it happened.) It is just strange to have all these issues and a roll over too!
    Ken