Very sad sight... 250 GTE 2+2 BODY!!!! must have been chopped for a "recreation"??? | FerrariChat

Very sad sight... 250 GTE 2+2 BODY!!!! must have been chopped for a "recreation"???

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by James in Denver, Nov 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Here's the auction on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRARI-250-GTE-2-2-ORIGINAL-COMPLETE-BODYWORK-1960_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ009QQitemZ190177324368QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I downloaded the pictures via the link in the auction, the body looked GREAT!!!! Why oh why did this poor car get sacrificed???

---- sniff sniff ----

Very sad, it did look like it needed some restoration, but no where like it should have been sacrificed.

Not to get into the "recreation" debate, but thats just sad. I understand a "totalled" car, but just staring at this body makes me drool......

I have to admit, the vintage cars get more beautiful every time I see one.

James in Denver

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One man's sad sight is another's opportunity...there has to be a chassis and engine out there somewhere.

However, it's not my opportunity.

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    What bugs me most is that the 2+2 is a MUCH better car than any spider or berlinetta...

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
  5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks like a possible win-win to me.

This body could make restoration possible for another car in "hopeless" condition.

6. Creature of the Wheel

Sep 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    KN
    Maybe put in a 550 motor, transmission and chassis??

One very fast, classic looking ferrari :)

7. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Here are the cold facts from the opening page of Tom Wilson's terrific 250GTE site http://www.ferrari250gte.com/:

""Imagine this scenario. You are in an automobile showroom and the dealer offers you the choice of a Ferrari GT California, a Pininfarina Cabriolet, an SWB Berlinetta or a GTE, all for the same price. In addition, for about $1,000 more, you can have a GTO. What do you do? Well, if you are a discerning car buyer in the early 1960's, with $13,000 burning a hole in your pocket, you would probably choose the GTE. In fact, discriminating auto buyers purchased about twice as many GTE's as the other four combined.""

This is why so many guys detest fakes on GTE chassis.

8. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Didn't know that guys detested them. I have two friends with them. Paid around $250k for them to be built too.

9. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I have no idea if thats possible (wheelbase, overall length, chassis type, etc.) but MAN that sounds like a GREAT idea.

You'd have the beauty of the classic/vintage car with totally modern components. WOW!!!

Too bad its out of my league to even try.

James in Denver

10. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I wish I had the beans, that would make a sweet hot rod. Not sure about what engine, but you could sure make a beautiful ride... vintage Ferrari body, modern electronics.... sweet!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

11. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Maybe a 400i chassis? I wonder if that would work and a workable 400i wouldnt be that expensive?

Again, its out of my league, but interesting idea.

James in Denver

12. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oh God!

This is being advertised at the wrong time. Had it been advertised a few months ago, when we had some spare cash, this would have been an ideal project for us. Instead of sticking the 456GT bits into the 400i's body, we could have gotten creative by designing our own chassis for under it, and creatively registering it as an individually constructed 400i (Australian laws are a b*tch).

I know if I had this as a project, I'd be tempted to hack the roof off it, and shorten it into a 250 GT Cabriolet.

Simply stunning!

13. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

mate. scrounge up the cash and go for it. Far better proposition than using 400i body

14. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    But, aren't we getting right back to the point of the post, which is who sacrificed a perfectly good 250 GTE in order to make some kind of creation? When will 400's be considered vintage?

just asking ; )

Ken

15. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'd much rather a non-original 400i, than a non-original 250 GTE. What is everyone else's thoughts on this? It's okay to chop and change bits from different cars (400i chassis, 456 drivetrain etc) on a car like this due to the fact its a 250 GTE 'saved' rather than never seeing the light of day again?

I have often asked myself this question too. I'm sure the 365 GT4 2+2 will be considered vintage first, due to the rarity of them compared to a 400/412. Look at the money a 365 GTC/4 is going for now. It is virtually the same car!

How much was a Dino worth 10/15 years ago? They were the 'unloved' Ferrari, and considered to be a poor mans Ferrari. Now look at the prices.

You have to also remember, that the 365 GT4/400 series were the most expensive Ferraris when sold new, and the best equipped.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If any other "replica" supporter tells me again that this no longer occurs (ie. sacrifising of GTE's for cr@p replicas) and/or that they are always too gone to be restored I am going to get really grumpy.

As this post proves this sort of cr@p still occurs and it is not friggin right!
    Pete

17. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The best one I have seen was a replica of a car that does not exist. E.g: A 250 GTO Spider. :(

18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Why don't you buy one of these cars and restore it to its former glory?

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Have you ever seen the engine bay in a 250 series car? How would you cram a 400I engine in there?

20. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Out of curiosity how much would a good 250 GTO recreation go for, like the one that has been made out of this chassis?

21. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I've seen the 400I, never seen a 250 series car in person. It was only a thought though, since I'm not a mechanic, nor body man, nor metal man/welder, nor any of the things you'd have to be to even attempt cramming that engine in the car LOL.

I just think its a shame, that 250GTE body in the pictures I downloaded is freaking BEAUTIFUL, sorry to see a car like that go for the frame/engine.

I dont know the guy in italy, but that HAS to be a car that was sacrificed for a recreation, no other way I could understand why the body and interior would be all there, but not the frame/chassis/engine.

James in Denver

22. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just had a chat to dad about this. What does worry is that there is no VIN plate or anything. If it had a chassis underneath it, and a VIN, we would be more willing to go ahead and purchase it. Plus, we have too many cars right now, and not enough space for them all. Dad told me he has a friend who is selling a 330 GTC in the near future, and is waiting until we sell our 400i GT and 365 GT/4 2+2; and besides, he still has his heart set on a Testarossa.

I just do hope who ever buys this car will bring it back to its former glory, or do something uber cool with it. (modern drivetrain, suspension etc).

I do doubt that it will sell on its first auction. I have seen Daytona bodies etc be re-listed on ebay many times before being sold. Last one I saw was a complete set of moulds for a Daytona that were made to re-construct a badly damaged original car. From memory, they were being sold for around the $7,000USD mark.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'd love too ... but sorry can't afford to purchase one.

Just because I cannot afford one does not mean I'm not allowed to get upset every time one gets wasted.
    Pete

24. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Even after more than a day have passed, I am still angry. I see no reason to gut the chassis out from under this car just to make more money off a recreation. And I guess I blame Ferrari as much as anyone. They go after and destroy anyone who tried to build a replica, but cant legally touch the guy who did this to a true classic. What a shame. And all over a stupid number welded to a frame tube. This body is the car more than the stupid frame is, nomber or no number. Yet if someone were to build a new chassis under it, and get it titled as a replica, Ferrari could have it destroyed, while keeping whatever bastardised creation was built over the chassis on the books as a "real" Ferrari. What a damn shame.

25. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Yes, this situation saddens me also. I have been reading a VanGogh Thread today here on Fchat. It's been a rough day health wise for me and the weather, has been depressing too. It's like taking the frame off of the "Wheatfields, " Painting and letting it sit in the corner of the room. This 250GTE 2+2 Carrossie, is also an artwork.

Maybe one of our friends can be a benefactor and restore it. Our friend Napolis, "Jimmy G." :), could maybe find it a worth-while endeavor? If just to save the car. If it is a Ferrari, worthy of such effort? If the body is "parted-out," it would be a sad day.

If I could, I would.

Ciao...Paolo