P4 Replica .... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

P4 Replica ....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SupercarGuru, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    The yellow Norwood P4 mentioned by JT, in the first post of this thread, was also regularly driven on the streets of Palm Beach. ;)

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #27 P4Replica, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Indeed, what could be more fun ? Another Norwood P4, which used to belong to the late Joe Marchetti - road-tested by R&T.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #28 P4Replica, Nov 11, 2007
    From this photo, it seems like Joe drove his in all weathers, too. Notice the snow stacked up on on the road-side.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I think some insurance company uses that shot in their advertisement. The one in the snow is pretty wild. I once took J6 on a long drive in the Fall up to Vermont. On the way home it began to snow. By the time I got back to my house there was an 1/2 inch on the roads. I think I can safely say that I'm the only person in the world to have driven a MK-IV in the snow.

To me the point is that a lot of love goes into many replica's and all of us are lucky to drive any car that a lot of love has been put into.

Best 2 All

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It depends: That's downtown Chicago and they basically clear the roads, so there is little chance of actually driving on snow. However the car is at risk from all the salt.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mine rust in the sun...

7. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    How?!.

8. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    That tread is slowly hitting rock bottom even with my efforts trying to salvage it.

Besides this replica deserves its own tread because its not a crappy replica its something very respectable nothing to shame the ferrari name plate in anyway.

Now if we where talkin Fiero rebody then yes I agree put it in their.

9. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Thank you, but .... Oh never mind. :D

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #35 P4Replica, Nov 13, 2007
    A few 'teaser' pics (for now) .... of 'Probably the Best P4 Replica in the World'. Or at least it will be, when it's finished. :)

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Agreed!

keep me posted!

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I've never liked the term "replica", as it implies packaging over product -- appearance over interals.

A "reproduction" or "recreation" should be, in my view, an exact clone of the original, made from the original design.

Or else you have something new, with an identity of its own. Would you put a Chevy engine into a 308 "look-alike", or give it its own italian styling, and call it something like Pantera?

13. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Point taken. However, please note the topic of this thread. P4 Replica(s). Although the couple of cars mentioned in it, so far, happen to have Ferrari V-8's and V-12's, the majority of P4 replicas use more mundane powerplants - most commonly Renault PRV V-6 and Chevy V-8's. Hence the implication of the term 'replica' is being used in the correct context - 'appearance over internals'. ;)
    None of these cars are 'exact clones'. However, if you were to check on sales advertisments, and auction listings for them, as I do regularly, you would sometimes see them being mis-described, or mis-sold as P4 'recreations' or 'reproductions'. :(

14. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #39 P4Replica, Nov 14, 2007
    Cosworth Turbo-powered Noble P4 replica for offered for sale in France:

http://www.octane-magazine.com/carsforsale.php?seecarsforsale=3234 See seller’s own website:

http://www.fa-automobile.com/detail-vente.php?car-for-sale=Ferrari-Competition-cars&id=6&v=1166

A couple of ‘corrections’: The car is definitely R.H.D. (not Left), and its actual year of construction was 1990. The ‘1979’ quoted refers to the date of first registration of the Renault 20TS ‘donor’ which provided the 5-speed gearbox, and whose documents were initially used to register the car in the U.K..

This car was originally built for Peter Van Hooke (ex-drummer with Mike & The Mechanics), and features cosmetic enhancements to the fibreglass bodywork, including the desirable lowered and re-profiled roof-line and consequently re-positioned rear window, and fairly accurately placed ‘faux rivetting’. As per the original Noble ‘P4 spyder’ kit, from which it was built, the car’s ‘targa’ roof panel can be removed, and stowed in the engine compartment, over the gearbox.

Previous advertising / recent sales of the car:

Advertised on http://www.carclassic.com (ref. BP22) 2002 through 2004, asking €66K Euros – Unsold.
    Artcurial Briest Poulain-Le Fur auction in Paris on 15th November, 2004 - €31,776 Euros.
    Osenat auction at Fontainebleau, France on 10th December, 2006 - €42,000 Euros.

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #40 P4Replica, Nov 14, 2007
    A couple of ‘library’ photos of the same car, photographed at Goodwood in 1990. Here the car is carrying the original 1979 (‘V’ suffix) registration from the Renault 20TS ‘donor’. The car was later re-registered SMW 57G (theoretically an ‘age-related’ plate, but actually the wrong suffix for 1967), and still carried this registration number when it was exported to France. Note that in this early appearance of the car, the roofline / rear bodywork is still stock un-modified Noble P4, and the lesser amount faux rivetting present is limited to the rear of the tail. (According to Peter Van Hooke, the car was wearing those different style wheels for a track test session - and only on that particular day the photos were taken).

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like all these cars. I don't see why everyone is hating on the passion and effort that people put into making a car that they really enjoy. I would gladly have one of these 'replicas' in place of my 348.
    BT

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #42 P4Replica, Nov 14, 2007
    Bill.
    Check out these couple of links - a Noble P4 (Renault PRV) to 348 conversion.
    Done in Japan, a couple of years ago. The first one that I know of:

http://www.sportscarfan.com/yasu/p4/0601/index.htm
    http://www.sportscarfan.com/yasu/p4/0509/index.htm
    http://www.sportscarfan.com/yasu/p4/0605/index.htm

In fact, if you're not worried about the Japanese text, that whole page is worth a look:

http://www.sportscarfan.com/yasu/p4/index.htm

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nice!
    That engine looks right at home there.
    :)
    BT

19. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #44 P4Replica, Nov 14, 2007
    The 348 V-8 package actually fills the engine compartment rather better than the shorter Renault PRV V-6.
    Here's another similar 348 conversion that was being carried out on an Austrian Noble P4 earlier this year.
    Hmmm. Which reminds me, I need to follow up with the car's owner and get an update. ;)

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    O.K., so now we've got a 'P4 replica' thread, with the 'right title' in the right forum section. Thanks, Dave. ;)

Hopefully, by moving the thread here, it will placate the 'replica haters' and we can post about P4 replicas with impunity.
    So, simply put .... if you're not interested in, or dislike P4 replicas, please just ignore this thread .... and BUTT OUT !

Not wishing to detract interest from this forum, nor this particular thread, but ....

.... last year (during my 2-year 'exile' from FerrariChat), I got involved in a P4 replica thread on http://www.*************

If you want to see a load more photos of P4 replicas, and read up some more about them, please check this out:

http://www.*************/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=0&fID=2&tID=105157 (It's 35 pages long, but only 10 posts per page).

In case you're wondering why I stopped posting .... well I just got fed up with some of the rather juvenile posts, in the end. :(

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    …. So, for those of you who might be interested in P4 replicas – here’s a list of links to all the previous P4 replica (and related) threads, from all sections of FerrariChat - wherever they were posted …. or subsequently moved to. They are listed in descending date order (newest first) – apart from a couple of threads which I’ve ‘bumped’ recently:

P4 Replica photo request – A cross-posting into the Florida section, of post #4 of this thread. Some different photos.
    ANY 1st Hand info on this Sbarro P4 – Old thread bumped several times - updated with recent eBay listings for the car.
    Ferrari has Pontiac Fiero 355 replica siezed .... but misses Noble P4 – A Noble P4 replica for sale on eBay in Italy - very briefly !!
    Switzerland - Ollon-Villars Historic hillclimb - (Post #11 onwards). Discussions and photos of various Swiss-owned P4 replicas.
    Dublin classic car show - Includes a few photos of a Rover V8-powered Foreman P4 replica.
    I would like a P/4 however ............ - Musings on various P4 replicas by a potential buyer.
    P4 built on BB 512 - The original 365GT/BB Boxer-based Norwood P4 ‘rediscovered’ in Belgium.
    328? P4 replica? Anyone know Japanese? - Japanese 328 V8-powered Noble P4 replica – see below.
    Help identify which V8 this is? – Modified motor in Japanese 328 V8-powered Noble P4 replica above.
    Who owns this garage? - Spy shots of a Norwood P4 in Florida – with some close-up photos added recently.
    308 with extensive modifications - Actually it’s a 308 V8-powered Noble P4 with extensive modifications. The poll was wrong !! :(
    Ferrari P4 replica - Musings on various P4 replicas by another potential buyer.
    Chinese making fake Ferrari - The ‘myth’ about fake P4 replicas flowing out of China exploded ! ;)
    P 3/4 question; - ‘dbw’ looking for fibreglass P4 panels, Stateside. I may still be able to help him out. :)
    Replica, rebody or real barchetta? – (Page 5 only). Photos of a P2/3 replica; Norwood and Noble P4’s posted by Marcel Massini.
    Anyone know what this is? – Answer: The neglected Sony ICE demo Foreman P4 - re-discovered in NZ.
    P4 replica origin? – French-owned Daytona V-12 powered replica advertised. Thread includes a subtle but hilarious photoshop ! :D
    P4 Noble Replica - The lovely ex-Eddie Perk much-modified Noble P4 on eBay.
    P4 Kit Car coming soon – Early mention of Fran Hall’s RCR P4 kit.
    P-3 / 4 Reproductions? - More musings about various P4 replica offerings.
    Norwood Autocraft photos 1989 to 1991 - Includes photos of a Norwood P4 under construction. See below.
    Norwood Autocraft photos circa 1989 to 1991 - As above, but with links to hi-res versions of photos.
    German Ebay: Ferrari P4 replica - The ex-Rolf Wisskirchen much-modified M-B V8-powered Noble P4 on eBay.
    My own P4 "0856" - Hot Wheels Ferrari P4 based on (my) Noble P4 !!
    P4 re-build project - Back on the road ! - James Shand’s rebuilt Cosworth Turbo-powered Noble P4 replica.
    Mystery P4 photos - Some interesting photos of P4 replicas (and of the real Ferrari P4 s/n 0856’s restoration).
    Daytona wheel / tyre questions - Also includes photos of a couple of P4 replicas with spyder rear bodywork / discussed.
    Retro Classics Stuttgart, Germany +100 pics!!! - (Page 1 only – posts #5-9). Photos of Bernd Raub’s modified, lowered Noble P4.
    Building a kit car for fun and to track... instead of using 355 - (Page 3 only). Photos of Graeme Kersley’s Cosworth Turbo Noble P4.
    250 GTO V-12 replica - Despite the thread title, discussion turned to Ferrari V-12’s in P4 replicas.
    Real or replica? - Japanese-owned Rover V-8 powered Noble P4 replica.
    Testarossa Turbo P4 replica – Alleged 1000bhp Monster machine !!
    Ferrari 330 P4 replica's - Yet another FChatter considering building a P4 replica ! (Mark PDX's '0846' Kit Car photoshop again). :D
    Norwood Ferrari P4 replica in Belgium ? - More on the original Norwood Boxer-based P4 replica.
    Noble P4 replica on eBay - Yet another Noble P4 on eBay in the U.K.. IIRC, this one went for only £11K !
    Unknown European P4 replica - Various European Noble P4 replicas – now all on my register ! :)
    P4 replica in Argentina - The ‘El Vikingo’ ally-bodied 308-powered P4 replica.
    P4 replica on ebay - James Shand’s Noble P4 replica – as purchased on eBay.
    Yellow Norwood P4 replica for sale (again) - Ed Cohen’s Norwood P4 for sale …. and it still is if anyone is interested.
    Poor man's P4 replica project - Mark Collins’ lamented 348-powered Foreman P4 replica.
    SBARRO 308/p3 recreation - Earlier thread about the Sbarro P4 in the NY section.

Finally, a couple from the Old FerrariChat archives (where threads read from bottom to top):

One way to get the unattainable – Nick Mrozinski’s eBay ‘restoration project’ Noble P4. (Below the XJ13 posts).
    330 P4 Question - 2 Norwood P4’s and an Australian Noble P4 mentioned. Shock, Horror ! Jim G. uses the F*** word. :D

22. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #47 P4Replica, Nov 16, 2007
    Apart from one thread, where the photos got lost in the FerrariChat 2005 server crash, all posts still seem to have have their attached photos. :) Not true for the Old FerrariChat archives, unfortunately. Luckily, I keep EVERYTHING P4-related .... especially photos ! :D
    Andrew Menasce wrote:

23. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Just to qualify Jim G's statement in the subsequent post: 'Both are fake.' .... a little. ;)

The car in the upper 3 photos is a Renault PRV V6-powered Noble P4, chassis #009, belonging to Bill Plowman of Sydney.
    And the car in the bottom photo is Norwood P4 chassis #4, belonging to Mike Studley of Orlando, FL.
    Although they look very similar externally, the 'Exotic Car World' Norwood P4 is chassis #6.
    It is owned by a U.S. collector of 'significant' Ferraris, who wishes to remain anonymous. ;)

24. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  25. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.