Software people - Got a problem, need a solution | FerrariChat

Software people - Got a problem, need a solution

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Gran Drewismo, Nov 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I just got hired on with an IT consulting firm. One of my first assignments is to develop a way to track what needs to be done for clients and then be able to prioritize each task. Basically nothing more than a glorified check/To-Do list. I'd like something where I can just click on the clients name and bam! it will open up and show me a list of what has been done and what still needs to be done, and then maybe have a field for notes explaining why it hasn't been done or what resources are needed to get it done. Make sense?

I was thinking of using Access or Excel or something but would prefer something more focused on that task.

Any ideas?

2. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    a few, or lots? If it's a Microsoft shop using Outlook, take a look at Business Contact Manager - it's a freebie add-on for most versions of Office 2007.

what you're looking for is more of a low-end CRM function, imo.

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A few dozen individual clients.

What's a CRM? Client Resource Manager? Grasping at straws here....

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    It would help if you answer a few more clarifying questions first:

- What kind of IT consulting firm is it? (custom applications development, network services, systems security, etc.?)

- Will your checklist need to be used by some of the staff out in the field or at customer sites?

- Does the firm already have any internal custom applications they've developed, e.g. a customer database, worker data, project data, contracts/task orders, timecard system, business workflows, etc.?

- Do they specialize in a certain hardware or software architecture, e.g. Java/Oracle running on Unix machines, C#.Net/SQL Server running on Windows servers, PHP/MySQL running on Linux servers, etc.?

(BTW, "CRM" is "customer relationship management". CRM systems are like Seibel, SalesForce.com, ACT, GoldMine, etc.).

TestShoot likes this.
  5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew

We do pretty much everything except applications development. We do pro-active monitoring, system installation and maintenance, general pc maintenance and support, email and web hosting, etc etc.

I would like it to be able to be used by more than one person, preferably in the field. Is this possible with say a Windows Mobile powered PDA?

We do not run any internal custom apps as of yet. I'm not sure how the sales team manages clients, in terms of what application they use. Today was only my first day so I will have more knowledge in the coming week.

6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I did a quick Google search and found this interesting web-based Help Desk application by Polar:
    http://www.polarsoftware.com/products/servicedesk/index.asp

Take a look. It appears to be a .Net application so it will need a Windows server to run on. It also needs a SQL Server database to host it. First user is free. Cost for more users is inexpensive.

The Work Orders part of the system seems like what you might be looking for:
    http://www.polarsoftware.com/products/servicedesk/features1.asp#WorkOrders

If you don't want to host it yourself, then maybe a web hosting company like GoDaddy would be a cheap option. GoDaddy offers a Microsoft Windows server option, on an inexpensive monthly basis, which includes the .Net framework and SQL Server database support.

Not sure if this system can be accessed by your PDA devices in the field.
    Do some due dilligence on the vendor. I have no experience with them so can't say one way or the other on how well it will work out for you.

If you want a super low-tech solution, you could write your own web pages in HTML (or XML/XSL) and maintain your list of tasks yourself using an HTML editor. In other words, each task would be a row in an HTML table for that customer. You could set up a separate HTML file for each customer, so, if you had 24 customers, that would result in 25 HTML files (one for the master list of customers with a link to a customer-specific HTML file of task items). The task list would need to be manually maintained using FTP or a disk share locally or by VPN. This would be similar to maintaining the list by hand in Excel files but viewable over an internet connection (even by the PDA devices).

Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

7. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    CRM is a client relationship manager

I used quickbooks for a bit but if you want higher end there is goldmine.

There are a few free online based ones. I believe Google has one.

Antony

8. pm83a

pm83a Rookie

Sep 8, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Walter
    if your looking for something mobile and with reminders I recommend trying Always Be In Contact for your leads. Its simple and easy and not too complicated like all the crms and its all mobile. It works great in my business to get follow-up reminders.

Check em out - Always be in contact - Always Be In Contact

9. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Better than those 10-year-old solutions everyone else was recommending, eh?

10. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Does your IT Consulting firm have a Microsoft SharePoint environment?
    If so, this can be utilized to easily create any type of tracker and definitely the kind you are looking for.
    I would start with that and then you can even create a dashboard so your boss doesn't even have to ask you for status, he can just look at your dashboard.

11. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    *This part is where I make my living, it's like magic :D

12. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Personally, I would look at Scrum or Agile project management packages. As you already know, or will soon find out, the priorities will be a constant evolution. You need an easy way adjust the priority of each task and track who it is assigned to and the progress.

TestShoot likes this.
  13. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Just use google docs and put in an index.

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    With google sheets, you can use color coding.
    Use the find function to jump straight to the row/rows for a specific client.

15. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have no idea how large your team size is, so I won't say go do Jira or BaseCamp, but maybe look at Trello, ToDoIst, Team Clerk. Get something that you can use and scale and track level of effort and time spent before you blow through billable hours.

Understand you track more than tasks and effort, your tracking is very important to job estimation, capacity and budgets. It is as much an autopsy as a forecast.

Are you more or less a short-order cook with a lot of little things in flight or is it like project management? Want to start doing stand up meetings, maybe go waterfall or Agile/Scrum? Thoughts to ponder.

There are a ton of software guys here that could give you some advice. I work as a consultant, sometimes alone, sometimes augmenting teams, sometimes architecting and training, rarely as a seat filler though.

Schatten likes this.
  17. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
  18. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ServiceNow would be overkill for something like this. And expensive. I agree with others about going the CRM route.

19. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Or maybe since Andrew was hired over 10 years ago he figured it out? Haha....

Jaguar36 likes this.
  20. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Lol! And it’s interesting to see how answers have evolved over the last decade. Now the solution is just “throw it into google docs”. Wonder how this thread will evolve in another ten years: “Alexa, track this for me”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

vinuneuro likes this.
  21. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    +1 to TestShoot's suggestions of Jira and/or Trello. I used Jira at my last company to manage internal and external projects as well as additional bug and feature tracking. At my current company on the Solutions (technical pre/post sales team) team we use Trello to organize and track the current state of deals, internal projects as well as on boarding for new hires. I'm a big fan of Trello as it's super flexible and naturally has a great looking UI.

EDIT: Whooops, just saw this thread is over a decade old haha.

TestShoot likes this.