Merged: Ex-Steve McQueen Lusso up for auction | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Merged: Ex-Steve McQueen Lusso up for auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by TG, Apr 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Don't say that to Bill Hickman, Carey Lofton and Bud Ekins...

When you can see McQueen in the Mustang's rearview mirror, it is obviously him. When it is turned down, Ekins is at the wheel. The main external shot with McQueen at the wheel is where he fails to make a corner and reverses with some spectacular wheel-hop, then races away.

I met Bud when he was working on the TV series 'Then Came Bronson'.

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Beautiful car, but I can't see any Lusso being worth close to a million dollars, no matter who owned it.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Check out the Christie's ad on page 43 of the June SCM. That picture of Steve McQ sure looks doctored to me. More "photo-chopped" than photoshopped. It looks like they took his head off of another photo.

Jack

4. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    Definately a good looking car - seen it here in SoCal at multiple car shows.

5. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    The photo of Steve and Chads mom Neale(in car) was taken by Steve's good friend and well known photographer Bill Claxton, on the way to Monterey. This a known, copyrighted photo owned by Bill Claxton and is NOT a "doctored" image. The story of this car and Steve will unfold in it's entirety in the months ahead. I have owned this car for nearly ten years and completed a 4000 hour restoration on it. Some of you have seen it in person at various concours and have already commented on it's condition, which I greatly appreciate. Mike Regalia, Regalia Concours Restorations

6. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Without starting a debate about whether the car is actually "worth" this much (whatever that means), my own guess about what the car will bring would be somewhere north of 1.5M. This result would have more to do with the strong desire of many to possess a piece of Steve's legend than the market for Lussos, or vintage Ferraris in general, and there are lots of folks out there right now with the money to make this happen. After all, judging from what a pair of old Persol sunglasses and various expired credit cards sold for late last year, it would seem that the timing for this sale couldn't be better--and what car is more identified with McQueen's image from that period than his Lusso?

Michael

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I didn't mean to question the car's provenance, and credit for the photo is clearly given in the ad, but still, the way Steve's head and body relate to each other in the picture just doesn't look natural to me....they just look like they could have come from two different photographs. And yes, that is clearly his first wife in the car.
    I've seen the car at Cavallino and at Amelia. It is truly stunning.

Congratulations on bringing this wonderful car to its current condition!

Jack

8. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    .....hitched to the back of my cadillac!

thanks

tom w

9. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    ....so while there at the collier museum i also checked out the other cunningham 1950 caddy coupe which was rebodied by some engineers from grumman. this car was low and sleek, but ran on a stock cadillac model 61 chassis. it had five carburators, iirc. i could not see under the hood. i did not have permission to crawl under this one.
    so the body was kindof wing shaped and sported thousands of rivets and a tapering tail. it was faster than the coupe especially on the straights but got stuffed into a sand trap early in the race and the driver stripped some gears out of the tranny trying to get out of the sand trap. so it ran in high gear the rest of the race and between that and the time lost digging it out finished eleventh just behind the stock bodied caddy.
    they averaged over eighty mph for the 24 hours.
    i leaned over and looked into the cockpit of "le monstre" as the french called this car and looked in. it had a nice big dash board with lots of official looking instruments, a racing style steering wheel and....
    the stock three on the column shifter.
    those caddy column shifters worked just fine though!

the collier museum had lots of briggs' other race cars there too. some were sold off a few years back but i think the cunningham caddies are still there. unfortunately the museum is no longer open to the public.

tom w

10. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    I used to know a guy who bought a truck from an auction not too long after Mr. McQueen died.It was an old 53-54 GMC/Chevy pickup with a really nice,custom built aluminium camper on it.Nice and clean rig.My friend's claim to fame was the boast that
    "Yep,Steve used to do Aly right there on that bed" ! Sorry but I couldnt resist.

11. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Today is the day this exquiste (of rare excellence of production or execution, as works of art or workmanship) Ferrari changes owners.
    Congratulation in advance to both parties. Bid often and bid high for tomorrow this Ferrari will be NLA.

12. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    It was interesting to read an article about the car in the Los Angeles Times yesterday. Chad McQueen was quoted as saying that his father kept the car only three years, not the ten that is cited elsewhere. This agrees with what I understood. The night I was introduced to Steve at the Chez in 1967, we compared notes on our Lussos. He told me he had just sold the car to the fellow that was sitting next to him. I don't remember his name.

13. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Steve was the first owner of the car. The car reflected his personality at the time. I admire his taste.
    Some people excel in the aquisition of new stimulation and excitement. Three years, ten years, I personally don't think it matters.

If I were Steve's son I would be tempted to buy my fathers car back.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice........

15. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Anyone know if the auction can be monitored live? What time does the car sell?

16. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Lusso sold $2,100,000.00

really nuts

17. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
  18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    WOW. when two rich guys want the same car . . . .

does anyone know the results of some of the others? 0502M?

19. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Congrats Michael !

Great car and glad to see you did so well on it. I knew the McQueen connection was going to push this one into the stratosphere!

Terry

20. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    christies sale

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Is that $2.1M + commission? If so that means the new owner paid around $2.5M!!

The question is: is this the highlight of the weekend's auctions or will the rest of the Ferraris be lifted by the McQueen Lusso?

Regards,

Art S.

22. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

It will be interesting to see. In my opinion (worth exactly what you pay for it) this particular sale says far more about the appeal of Steve McQueen and its value than it does about Ferrari Lusso prices. But, clearly at least some folks at the auction are anxious to spend some $$$$.

Terry

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It was a very good auction with decerning buyers.
    IMO there is big$ for great cars.

24. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Are full results posted anywhere?

Terry