Paint your 360 key red | FerrariChat

Paint your 360 key red

Discussion in '360/430' started by vm3, Jul 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    #1 vm3, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Many people are interested in getting an Enzo key for their 360, but the Enzo key is expensive and larger than the 360 key, so I painted my 360 key for a few dollars with great results. Follow these easy steps:

1. Pry off the glued-on horse with a precision screwdriver, the type with a rotatable head. Select a size that fits in the small gap between the horse and the edge of the recess. It comes off easily with a little force without damage.

2. Use a sharp hobby knife to carefully trim off any raised edges (like the edge of a pie) of the remaining glue in the recessed area for the horse. If this is not done, the recess will become smaller after painting and the horse will not fit back in.

2. Sand the silver paint with 600 grit sandpaper and wipe it clean.

3. Cover the key shaft with tape.

4. Spray on 2 light coats of general purpose white primer from any hardware store. Gray primer will make the red paint come out too dark. Allow the paint to dry to the touch between coats. A blowdryer can be used to speed the drying.

5. Spray on 6 or more light coats of red paint. I used Tamiya "Italian Red" from a hobby store, but any general purpose "Bright Red" from a hardware store will do. Dry it between coats. The last coat should be thicker to achieve a smooth shiny finish, but not too thick to avoid sagging and running.

6. Bake it in an oven for 30 minutes to harden the paint. The lowest temperature of my oven is 190. I let it warm up for a minute to about 150 and shut it off. Use something to hold the shaft and prevent the paint from touching the oven. A blowdryer can probably be used instead, but be careful not to heat it too much.

7. Attach the horse back on with cement that works on metal. Use just enough for good adhesion, but not too much to avoid making the cement squeeze out. Do not use instant glue, since glue vapor may cause clouding on the paint.

8. To avoid scratching and chipping the paint, I use a nylon string to attach the remote to the key and do not attach other keys to it. The knot is glued to prevent it from untying.

The entire process only takes about an hour. It is a simple, fun, and satisfying little project!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Suprazed likes this.
  2. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    Nice detail. thanks for te post and detailed DIY

I Think I'll paint mine car color while I'm touching up the front underbelly..

[​IMG]

3. dsunnym1

dsunnym1 Karting

Mar 7, 2007
    MIAMI,FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    SUNNY
    really nice job

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Looks fabulous!!! :)

5. TheOnlyLawIsToNtGetCaught

Jul 28, 2005
    Not to hi-jack this thread or anything, but GOD that is a sweet pic. Do you have any more pics of your car? The rubino color is so incredibly seductive. Cheers!

PS! nice job on the key, VM3!

6. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Nice job vm3! I think your key looks great!

7. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    I've paid my subscription twice, but It still won't sync up and allow me to post. but I have a bunch of shots ready to post in a few days when activated. one more teaser:

[​IMG]

8. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Bob... your car is SICK looking. Nice job.

Frank

9. TheOnlyLawIsToNtGetCaught

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm speechless. I have no speech. I'm without speech. That is easily the best looking 360 I've ever seen. CS or no CS styling, this one takes the gold medal. Congratulations.

10. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    He's so speechless he had to say it 5 times :D

11. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    WOW! Thought that you were speechless :)

Great looking key...It's different from the Enzo, but still VERY nice! Good work

12. TheOnlyLawIsToNtGetCaught

Jul 28, 2005
    Lol! I'm terribly sorry about these reposts. I kept getting a "download .php" file when I hit submit and it didn't confirm my posts. I'm sorry for ruining your thread, VM3 :) Moderators, please delete the superfluous posts.

13. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    No clearcoat?

14. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    No clear coat, since it might discolor over time.

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Very cool mate. Looks fantastic. :):)

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Very nice key there. When I bought my 360, the grey paint on the main key was chipping off, so I used some sand paper and took it down to the bare metal. Then I polished it. It looks nice as it ages and matches the color of my car (which it titanium).

There is a thread in the showroom section for your custom keys - be sure to post a photo of your key over there as well :)

Ray

17. creedy

creedy Rookie

Jun 25, 2007
    Montreal Canada
    I actually painted my key also.
    The trick I came up with for baking it was to take a small square of tin foil and bunching it around the key part. Then it easly stands up in the rack of the oven.
    Now that I.ve said that a warning......I used caliper paint (high heat) and baked it at 450 for half an hour.
    The key looked great and the paint looked like I enameled it.
    Problem was it was so brittle that it has chipped like a mo-fo so now I am planning do do just that. I am going to drop it off to a guy I know that can emamel stuff and see if I can't have it truly emameld (can't figure out how to spell it.....I am a high school drop out who made good!)

18. Rowdy

Rowdy Karting

Sep 1, 2005
    Florida
    Nice job, you ( or someone) could make some decent money doing what you have described

19. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Is the enamel on cook tops and ovens the same as spray enamel commonly available in hardware stores? If they are chemically the same, the only difference is the baking.

The paint can be protected from scratches and chips by not using a metal key ring and not carrying other keys with it.

20. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    #20 Hubert888, Jul 31, 2007
  21. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    #21 dsevo, Jul 31, 2007
    ^ You beat me to it. I polished mine yesterday and I like how it looks. I'm gonna get some 2000 grit sandpaper so that I can get it completely mirror-like. I like how it looks though, and it really shines in the sun. The pictures don't really do it justice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

That looks sweet!! :):)

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Did you pop off the Cavallino to do the polishing? If not, how did you protect it and get into the little cracks?

24. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Yep, just popped it off with the corner of a razor blade. Next I used a wire wheel on my drill and got all the paint off. Then I sanded with 220 grit (it's all I had) and finally I polished with a buffing wheel on my drill. I would guess that a buffing wheel on a bench grinder would work really well because it spins much faster. I'm gonna get it perfect and then I will have it anodized clear, or covered in some sort of clear coat enamel. It's a little different than a typical red ferrari key, and it really stands out.

mb5 likes this.
  25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I like that idea. Actually, I was considering yellow. There are so many red keys.