1974 365BB sold at RM auction | FerrariChat

1974 365BB sold at RM auction

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by geno berns, Jun 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Does any one know about the blue 365BB sold at an RM auction. In Nathan's Boxer book the registry the car is listed as having a Blu Sera Metalic as its original color with a black interior, with out black boxer trim. However I noticed that the Blu Sera is a darker blue than the lighter blue the car is painted currently. The car also has boxer trim. It looks like the car has been painted in a Azzurro Chiaro or Chiaro Blu during its restoration. Any body knows if this is the case?

2. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Steve Markowski just likes that color, and I do as well. He's an F-chatter and can chime in more accurately as to specifics. He had the 365 and a black 512 at his place while I was still looking. He painted the 512 blue as well.

Geno, whatever happened on that second Boxer you were looking at? Still available?

Anyway, those back pages of Beehl's book are fascinating. Find your car in there?

3. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Hi Adams, yes my car is in there, with all the correct data. The other BB I am still working on. The Ebay red/tan BB out of Florida was in the Boxer book as well. The registry showed the car as being a silver car at one time. Do you think repainting these Ferraris devalues them, especially in the future? Gene

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Painting an F-car a period correct colour doesnt seem to hurt value and in many cases it increases it. For me I would pay more for a dark blue one or a black one over a silver one even if the car was silver and repainted the colour I wanted. My 308 was orignally grey (blah) and now its fly yellow, its worth more in yellow than grey regardless of the orignal colour.

5. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Paul, I can agree to a point. If we are talking $40K to $80K cars than fine, a color change is not a big deal. It may be a big deal eventually if the car increases in its demand and therefore in value. On cars that may approach the $200K mark in a year or two, such as a nice 365BB may, originality will be the key to value.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    To a point but its all about the buyer and they are unpredictable at times. I wouldnt touch clint eastwoods turd brown boxer graced with picnic table bumpers with a 10 foot pole. If it was repainted a nice colour then thats a different story (yes I know of the callchuck/eastwood boxer, blah blah blah.) It was just an example.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

geno, i will push back a little and support paul's position. my friend just had a multi year restoration done on his 275 gtb 4 cam. the car began life as black but came out of restoration in fly yellow.

net result, the car sold at cavalino for a hair under $1mm which represents the highest price paid to date for a 4 cam (non-alloy body).

pcb

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    check your PM's pete

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't think a color change on any of these cars, from a 308GT/4 up to a 250GTO, makes much of a difference. If it has original paint and the paint is in decent shape, that's worth a premium.

Once you repaint it, as long as the color is reasonable and more or less period correct, it doesn't matter if it's the same color as it was originally or not.

Just my observation, anyway.

EDIT: That is, assuming that the color change was properly done.

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I love the 275 GTB in Fly Yellow !!! It happens to be my favorite car, especially in that color.
    Next time you guys are ready to wire $200K to $1M on a car and the car had a color change, see if you question your self if you're buying the right car.

11. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    That's an interesting point about color changes affecting future values because mine has had interior and exterior color changes. It was originally red with black boxer bottom with black interior and has had 2 exterior and 1 interior change to it's present state. I think it looks pretty nice considering it is somewhat of an oddball color combo that I would have not chosen if I were changing the color. We'll see what the value will be in the next several years if I ever sell it, which I doubt.

12. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    I tried to post pics that I took yesterday after washing the car to illustrate my point, but this crap computer wouldn't let me. I appologize. I gotta break down and get a new computer!

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    But if you look at the 60s cars, almost *all* of them have had their color changed at some point-- usually to resale red. Many have had their colors changed back to something else. Doesn't seem to affect the value at all.

And yes, actually, my 365 2+2 is one of those (originally silver, now resale red). Some day, I might put it back to silver, or maybe blue...

It's more a function of the age of the car. If I saw a 550 with a color change, I'd expect a significant discount. BBs are in the range where many still have their original paint, but the paint is getting old. Cars from the 50s - early 60s have almost all been repainted, and no one cares.

14. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    Good point. After viewing the threads on the Dino restoration and other similar posts, I can see why a bare-metal, complete re-paint costs around $20k. It is because the car is practically taken completely apart. The body is stripped bare. Rust spots are repaired. Then the body is sanded, prepped, painted and put back together again. The results are spectacular, but then I would have a cow if I got a rock chip in the paint after driving it!

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Didn't all 365GT4/BB's come with Boxer trim? I didn't think the factory solid color option was available until the BB512 cam out?

16. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    I believe you are correct on this.

17. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    In this period, the factory would do anything you want - boxer trim, no boxer trim, out of range color, paint to sample, etc. There several known examples of 365 BBs that came from the factory without boxer trim. It became much more common in the BBi era, but it happened from the beginning.

Alex

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    How's yours coming along, Alex?

I think a color change devalues the car..........

But only after the next purchaser discovers it! LOL!

Not many folks hang out here tracking this stuff after all ....most auction sales are "Oh it's really shiny, I want it!" type of purchase decisions......

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm gonna restore my red car back to blue, but then I'll have two blue ones and that will be bad, so I'll trade a blue one in on another one.....and then.......

20. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Mine is coming along. Connecting rods just came back from machine shop. All glass back in and carpets just came back from being made. Goal is to drive it cross country from NY to Monterey and show it at concorso when it is done, but is looking like it is going to happen next year, not this.

Can't agree on color change affecting value. Even at the national meet there is no deduction for a color change to a period correct color. Many blue chip Ferraris, e.g. Peter Kalikow's blue/red 250 PF Cab Series I have been color changed and I daresay they are not worth one penny less as a result.

Just my .02

A

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was just rabble rousing Alex, I actually totally agree.

No points deducted for any period color, they don't have the Factory info when judging....go with what you like!

My red one's gonna stay RED, Lady Valeria voted!....might cover up the Sera Blue chips in the filler lid, that's all.........

22. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    It's funny how some marque collectors are more interested in original vs non original colors. Older Porsche 911's have a color code plate in the front door jamb and the value is usually adversly afffected by a color change. And original paint brings a huge premium at sale time. You can get the Certificate of Authenticity for the 911's which also lists the paint color.
    My boxer does have a metal color code sticker under the hood, so I wonder why a concours judge would not look for that if the car was being judged? Maybe this will become more important for older Ferrari's as people get Certificates of Authenticity from Ferrari.
    Most collectors don't balk at color changes on most European collectible cars, I'm not sure about American cars.
    Scott

23. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I will drive up just to see that! Well, I drive up nearly every year anyway. :p

24. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    Frank - Steve,

Alex is correct, there are over 100 documented 365BB's leaving the factory finished in single colors - and probably many more that were not documented...Really tough job to know which is which now as so many have been changed !

Argento

25. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    I find that number difficult to believe since there were only 387 365 BBs produced. What is your source?