Any of you ever do any outdoor - Metal Detecting? | FerrariChat

Any of you ever do any outdoor - Metal Detecting?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by -FROG-, Apr 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    I just bought a $100.00 Metal Detector, Bounty Hunter Tracker II from Academy and messed around with it for about a half hour in a field. Found some buried bits of fence wire, a large old bolt and a piece of buried beer can. Junk of course, but kinda interesting to see the potential these things have and I am a very curious person, so it was fun to dig. I have never done this before, but I am thinking about upgrading to a $200.00 type detector because this $100.00 one seems to be a little cheap. I don't want to spend too much money but it may be best to get a better detector, with better tones and visual aids and to cut down on the hasstle of finding useless junk. Any advise? Stories?

2. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    Never had any experience using metal detectors. It looks fun searching for stuff and I definitely would want to try it sometime!

One question.. how deep was the digging you made? :)

3. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I got one, but haven't used it much. A friend gave it to me. I'll mainly use it on my placer claim :)

Being in Austin, there is a TON of history around you. I'm sure there is buried loot/gold everywhere. You should really seek some info about it.

BTW, if you want to know about detectors, ask here:

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=8

Here is another forum I frequent full of detectorists:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I would do more metal detecting, but it takes away from my civil war re-enacting time. Hard tack and jerky anybody?

5. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I found out something really interesting about a girl I was dating a while back when I went over her with one.

6. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    got one for the wife for a birthday. i hid a few pieces of jewelry in the yard for her to find. occasionally we take it down the beach but have never really found anything of value.

7. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm on my 4th metal detector over the past 20 years, and I don't get to do it as often as I like. Let me tell you, the first time you dig up a ring, and even a nice war nickle or something like that, you'll be hooked. If you enjoy history, and collecting old things, it can be a lot of fun. It definitely requires patience, and can be a solitary, even relaxing, hobby.

There are all kinds of detectors, for all kinds of hunting (water detectors, gold nugget detectors, and easily the biggest of them all--coinshooting detectors). Now this doesn't mean that one won't detect other kinds, but their circuitry is often targeting towards certain fields, as are the coils (the circular discs at the end of the detector). Good detectors: Whites, Tesoro (this is what I have, on my 2nd one), Garretts, and Fisher. There are others, but those are the ones that always stick in my head.

Do yourself and read up as much as you can before you invest in anything. Find out what all the terminology is, what you are really after, and buy wisely, it can make all the difference between a dust-collector and a fun tool. A couple of good magazines to look into -- Lost Treasure, and Western & Eastern Treasures.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    The key to metal-detecting is to not let any of your friends see you doing it.

9. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Thanks for the info! I upgraded from the $100 one to a $200 one today, called the Quick Draw II by Bounty Hunter. I read up on some reviews and everyone gave it a near 5 star rating (4.8) because of the price and the visual aids on the meter while it can detect good at lower depths. I know it's no top end detector, but will be a good starter I think. There is alot of land and trails around where I live so this will be more of a reason to get out of the house away from the TV off my ass and enjoy being outdoors a little more.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I used to have a fake rolex... looked good. One day I saw I guy patrolling the beach with his metal detector... For fun I dropped it in his search path, kicked sand over it, and waited. I wish I had my video camera with me!

11. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    haha Simon

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS