How does Starbucks justify charging for wi-fi in 2007? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How does Starbucks justify charging for wi-fi in 2007?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by REMIX, Mar 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'll bet the reason is they don't want people camping out there on their puter and nursing a $1.55 cup of coffee.(or just freeloading) They want the space available for the people who are in and out within 10 mins. that order the $4 concoction whose name sounds like you're speaking some weird language.

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You must not fly much, because the airports I go in and out of charge for it.
    Minneapolis - Memphis - Phoenix - LAX - Houston - San Antonio - Omaha - and I think Chicago, and a few others I don't remember, I didn't find any that were 'free'. This was a year ago.

3. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Hmm, I never quite understood the "image" that is associated with Starbucks; maybe it's because I don't go there - at all?

Someone fill me in?

4. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Don't forget to tip them for you $5 coffee!

5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

What I can tell you is Tampa is free. Jacksonville is free. Miami is NOT. I ran to the plane on Saturday to catch an early flight, so I don't know if DFW is free or not.

RMX

6. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't know the status of it but New Orleans had free wifi in the business district and expanding it citywide. The antennas are supposed to be mounted on the light poles.

Like most things in the city it probably worked for about three months and then got broken somehow.

7. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I totally agree. About a year ago, I was having some coffee and opened up my laptop in SB, only to see a big T-Mobile ad for a wifi subscription. I got right up and went to the Panera Bread down the street. Who do they think they are?! Oh, wait...

8. REMIX

Heh, I just paid $11.42, equivalent to a week's charges for my home broadband, for 24hr Internet access at the Westin in Ft. Lauderdale. That plus the $10 charge to park myself...

I thought most hotel access was free. WTF?

LOL.

RMX

9. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Im with him. I also love when the people connecting just NEED attention, or also think they are a damn wireless engineer. I dont care for anything SB.

BUt I do wish I listened to a friend of mine when he bought in on their stock at around $6.... =(

10. REMIX

Speaking of which, there is delicious Starbucks coffee here in my hotel room. Yum! :(

RMX

11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Was in Chicago last month, no dice on free wifi in the airport.

Also, a ton of hotels charge you for their wifi.

Even though my Sprint Wireless Card is about $60/month, I seem to have saved a decent bit just by using it in places that want me to pay to use their wireless system.

Ike, the New Orleans one is very spotty. Heck, I live 500ft from Jackson Square in the French Quarter and I can't pick up the stupid "free" internet connection from the city.

And if you think about it, it isn't free at all when taxpayers are paying for it. I would MUCH rather have private companies compete by bringing in quality product than put up with the "free" internet being offered here. Although I am just miffed it doesn't work right here, because actually I know others who use it just fine.

Anyways, back to the Sprint card. It is funny when people see me in places that obviously have no internet connection and I am using the sprint card. Have had several people ask about it and they are amazed how readily available they are. Kinda funny.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I don't know but I had a fit over SB and their charging for internet this past summer when I was travelling to Salt Lake City and a client called panicking about a contract... I had to drive around with my Mac laptop open watching for bars of wifi reception.

I eventually found free access by parking in the lot of a Marriott Courtyard. :D That was after doing drivebys of 3 other hotels (at least there was a cluster of them, was near airport).

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    It's funny John was the first to suggest an air card. They come in pretty handy as long as you can get a wireless signal. If you guys are traveling a lot I can't imagine you being without one.

Another John

14. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I dont get the whole status thing with SB either. I went once to get a hot chocolate and even that wasnt very good. Probably doesnt help that I dont like to drink coffee. I love the smell, just not the taste.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You can plug your Blackberry into your laptop with a USB and use that for computer internet access.

16. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    DFW is a T-Mobile Hotspot, so if you had a plan you could connect!

FYI: Starbucks doesn't charge for internet - they're simply all T-Mobile hotspots, which means for $29.99 a month you can go there & NOT order their "swill" and enjoy internet access.

In fact, for you whose taste buds are sophisticated, you must be world travelers! So, you'd be happy to hear that your $29.99 covers you at over 45,000 locations worldwide.

Panera Bread does not have locations worldwide... especially scarce in L.A.

17. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I'm with ya'. Had to pay $15/day for downtown Houston a while back, what a rip.

18. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003

The problem is that the kids working there have no idea of how the T-Mobile thing works. They ask people to leave who are sitting in there without ordering coffee.