Michelin TRX Tires - not in production?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Michelin TRX Tires - not in production??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by NY400i, Mar 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cmbb328

cmbb328 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Craig Balaban
    #26 cmbb328, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had SL Competition in Atlanta make up a magnificent set of 17" wheels for my 412 on which I mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Sports. They are custom-made with the proper offset, so there are no spacers. The combination transformed the ride and handling and was well worth it. And although the wheels are costly, they look better than factory, and replacement tires are easy. Here's the specs, I attached a picture.

Model 2400SM
    17 x 7
    $3000 a set of 4
    $125 insured shipping
    $3125 total cost
    Recommended tire size
    245/50/17
    PH 478-929-9454
    FAX 478-929-4035

Good Luck - Craig
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Craig, Those wheels do look real nice! and match well with the car.
    Jim, Made in France Michilin, V rated, TRX tires brought from Coker three months ago with a build date, ( I know now, thanks to you Jim) of 2004.
    I thought I had a steering problom with the old TRX's The new ones made a world of diffrence. These really are wonderful cars.

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jim,

Don't be sorry, you just have a bunch of questions. We all did when we first got our cars.

Lets make it easy for you. Call me around lunch today and I'll answer a bunch of your 400i questions.
    281-433-8956

4. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    thanks Dave...very kind of you.

its EST time here...central I'm guessing over there.

I'll try calling...but work might consume me.

Thanks again!

5. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    The wheels were 120 GBP each, I think - totalled about $1,600 shipped WITH the center caps. The way I did the front wheels (pictured) uses the stock center cap that came with the wheels but the circular metal extension collar was CNC machined custom for the wheels. You would need to do this for the 328 wheels, but NOT the repro 308 qv wheels. You ARE correct you can use ANY 16 inch tire once you do this and you will not need TRX.

A

6. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm very surprised that OEM's dont cost $2k each...are they brand new?

Not that I'm complaining but am I missing something? 1,600 is a steel right?

7. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    You are not missing anything and it is a great deal - I was able to buy REAL Ferrari 328 wheels, delivered to my door from the UK, for less than the REPRODUCTION 308 qv wheels would cost bought in the US. The only catch, as I have described, is that you have to solve the front bearing clearance problem - this is not an issue with 308 qv wheels.

A

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Black/Tan automatic, right?

10. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    blk/tan auto...yes sir! So, what can you tell me about the vehicle? Very interested to know.

Thanks a bunch!

11. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    Hello everyone,

This is Jerry, I'm the local Ferrari nut here at Coker Tire. These tires are still made by Michelin in France, we do not own the molds. We are just their North American distributor. On average we get a shipment from Michelin every 6 months, and unfortunately we don't know what the production dates are on these tires until we get them. If you all ever have any questions please feel free to contact me either on the boards (I'm on here every day) by email or phone, I am more than willing to get any info I can for you. Also when every you call to place an order make sure you talk to me, I give a discount to all FChat members, so instead of paying $419.00 per tire you would pay $372.91.

Jerry

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jim
    I have two emails from Michelin tech. support that says they still make the tires and have no plans to stop making them. (second email) First email said they are not sold through their regular dealer network only through Coker (in US). I don't know where the story about Coker making them and them being second rate tires. They are and old design and do not take advantage of 25 years of new technology, but they should be as good as they were in 1980's. They would NOT have the Michelin name on them if they were inferior!
    Ken

13. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    be sure you eyeball the diff between 328 wheels and any of the 400 design, as they are not the same. Ferrari changed the 308/Mondial/400 wheel look when they came out with the 328/412/Mondial 3.2 cars.
    While I like the 328 look a bit more(cleaner look), it is not the same as the earlier wheel design.

14. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    I only buy my metric tires from Longstone Tire in the UK. The service is A+ and I get them quicker than Coker. The last TRX's I got from Coker were almost 10 years old. I did return them of course but they kind of gave me a hard time about it. It was funny becaust the salesman on the phone said even though they were almost 10 years old they were ok. I would then hang up and ask another guy how often with age they should be replaced and he said every six years.

BTW, I just got a set and they are from 2004.

15. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Obviously, Jerry is correct. Michelin still makes all their old tires and owns the molds. Longstone and Coker have exclusive distribution agreements with Michelin. I've had luck getting Michelin to make me tires, but they were a large customer of mine in my past high-tech life. (Jerry, I bet you can guess which Michelin tyre they started making for me.)

I've purchased tires from both Longstone and Coker. For reasons that I can't explain, it's usually been cheaper to purchase the tyres in the UK and ship them here. This may no longer be true with a $1.33+ to 1 Euro exchange rate. As someone else noted, the guys at Longstone are very, very knowledgeable on their tyres and offer great service. I've had mixed results with Coker. (Sorry, Jerry, just calling it as it happened.)

Steve

16. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    do you know what the longstone URL is? At least in UK the investory is fresh right?

17. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    I actually found the website and their list price is 254 GBP which translates to
    roughly $499.54. That's more than Coker. I'm gonna try and go with 328 wheels which are comparable to stock 400i wheels cause then I can take advantage of the better tread technology than in the past.

Thanks,
    JIM

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

What's the stock tire size for your car?

19. NY400i

NY400i Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Full Name:
    James
    240/55VR415 - using old TRX will probably not grip the road better than technology today.

20. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Here's a wild thought: Could the stock rims be machined to accept a more common tire size? I'm sure someone else would've thought of this if it were possible, but I just had to ask.

21. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Guys used to do this with the old Borrani RW3598 (5.5 x 400mm, approx 15.75 in, using 185 x 400 tires) wire wheels so they could fit common 600 x 16 or 185 x 16 tires. But, Michelin came along and started making the Michelin X tyre in the 185 x 400mm size.

I wouldn't even attempt it with the mag wheels. Just go with the TRX tyres, of the 17 inch SL wheels someone posted eariler. That rim/tyre combination looked quite nice.

Steve

22. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #47 Hans, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A while ago, I have picked up this photoshopped pic from another forum. Looks pretty good too! I'd say to get this look, you'd need around 19 inch rims... Would that fit at all??

Hans
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Want to confirm some of the previous messages. Here in Sweden the representative, which is not Michelin, receives tires about twice a year and he could guarantee that the tires would not be older than three years!
    One can question the wisdom of buying tires with technology dating back 20 years, but remember that the rubber compound is up to modern standards, that might be whats most important.

24. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    No problem Steve. I don't mind the truth being told.

25. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I called Coker a week ago and ordered two tires. They said they would arrive in a shipment the first week of June. I called back today to increase order to 4 tires and they said the first order was delivered (to my garage) yesterday. They arrived early. So I have two and two more on the way.

I checked the manufacture date on the two that arrived and they are week 25 of 2006.

Jerry at Coker told me how to check the dates on my old tires and they are all about 10 years old so I guess it is time for new sneakers.
    Ken