Trans/Diff Oil change interval | FerrariChat

Trans/Diff Oil change interval

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stephenofkanza, Feb 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    The manual says once a year.
    I don't know when it was changed last.
    I have NO problems shifting from 1st to 2nd or any gear for that matter, cold or hot. I have read many threads on this subject and will use Red line 75~90 NS if I change it.
    I change my engine oil once a year. Timing belts were done at the time of purchase Jan 2005. Did Birdman's fuseblocks summer 2006. Serviced the
    hazard light switch, since turn signals worked only when I did NOT need them.

So should I change the trans/diff oil?

stephen

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well if it hasn't been changed in the last year, then I would say yeah, change it.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Change it. Once a year or every two years regardless of km's IMO. :):)

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is really no more time consuming than performing an oil change. Get to it. ;)

5. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Since you don't know when it was last done, I'd change it. If you use the redline oil, I'd say check the level every year and change it again in 5 years.

6. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Most gear oil doesn't need to be changed as often as you think as it doesn't really wear out. Condensation problems would warrent a change, if it looks milky do it now but if its clear and clean leave it be. My dually Dodge with six speed manual trans. comes from the factory with synthetic in the box and the owners manual says it is not necessary to change it.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    My personal belief is that F went to the change-once-a-year recommendation just to make sure that the garage queens got some oil on the non-submerged half of the gearbox internals at least once a year. If you're driving regularly, I can't see doing it every 2 years as a problem.

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Use the redline it makes my car shift way easier. I am noticing a howling at about 40 mph I never heard before. Steve, you said you were getting a chattering, since I have no experience I am not sure what that would sound like. I have no sound at slow speeds turning tight corners, but am perplexed by this odd noise?

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The LS clutch chattering (or more like a "groaning" at low speeds) only occurs when the rear wheels are spinning at different rates (i.e., going around a corner) so that can't explain your 40 mph noise.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Far more commonly caused by hub carrier bearings.

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #11 robertgarven, Feb 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow, I hope not I have only put less than 10,000 miles on them and only driven through one river on a FCA nightmare drive! This sounds like it is coming from the exhaust actually. Everytime I am back there, I take off the trans heat shield and think that when i put it back on the aluiminum header cover moves leading to some kind of vibration, but not sure that is the case. I am very sensitive to ay wierd sounds which tend to drive me crazy. I had a metal vibrating sound bugging me turns out it was the rear seatbelts vibrating together!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login