Windows Vista Release Date? | FerrariChat

Windows Vista Release Date?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 308tr6, Mar 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Anybody out there know what the latest speculation is for the release date for the new MS Windows Operating System (Vista)?

2. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    october 06 i think

3. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Q4 06, but I'm sure it'll be Q1 07.

I installed BETA1 on a development machine and it was TERRIBLE... so I'll wait a little after release to try it again :-/

4. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    The current beta release is pretty good. Saw it running on one of the Acer Ferrari 64-bit laptops, very nice.

5. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But they havn't implemented the widget style desktop tool yet have they???

6. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I've only seen that in screenshots. I'll ask our MS rep next time he comes around.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Kind of funny. Costco sent out notice yesterday that Vista is on sale but Microsoft says it won't be released until Monday.

I haven't seen much about it (except poor earnings blamed on the late release). Any possible reason to upgrade from XP?

8. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My friend just put it on his powerbool. He runs both windows and the MAC operating systems somehow. He is a bit of a computer nerd.

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    comin to Malaysia in Feb. a few days time :)

10. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Staples, Best Buy Tuesday. My Sunday ads are full of it.

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    There are a lot of 'security' toys in Vista, from what I saw, most of them are pretty scary to me, a lot of them tie back to MSFT to 'keep track' of things, and that scares me a lot, like big brother keeping tabs on everything you look at, and install, and download. Be careful, go through ALL the tabs and do lots of research.

12. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I went by FarmerDave's office to & saw Manny today, Manny's laptop has Vista beta version on it, kinda slick looking & reminds me of Apple's OS X, so far he's not having any known issues with the new OS kernel.

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I'm sticking with XP for a while. It's stable and solid for me, plus theres no reason for me to upgrade to Vista. It's slick looking and if it had the features that were originally planned for it I would use it. I used it for a while back in 2003 and saw nothing worth upgrading.

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Good point. There seems to be a lot of high tech gadgets for sale that can provide info for Big Bro. With Vista, they use the "security" excuse but I'll bet info gets filtered for illegal surfing activities and who knows what else. Yea, I know if you've got nothing to hide, blah, blah, blah... but with all this data Big Bro is collecting it can come back to haunt you in ways you'd never imagine.

15. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I tried Vista out at the dell store in my local mall. Its epic. I held off buying a new computer waiting for the new OS from Microsoft. I will probably be buying a computer once SP1 for Vista comes out. If you go to Vista right away tomorrow, the hackers will be working over time to exploit loose ends that microsoft didnt know about. Wait for SP1 and all the patches before upgrading. But it seemed like everything just runs a whole lot smoother on Vista..atleast on the computer I was on.

16. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    NOVA
  17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Maybe because it was new hardware?

Courtesy CNET:

The bottom line: Windows Vista is essentially warmed-over Windows XP. If you're currently happy with Windows XP SP2, we see no compelling reason to upgrade. On the other hand, if you need a new computer right now, Windows Vista is stable enough for everyday use.

full review at: http://reviews.cnet.com/Windows_Vista_Ultimate/4505-3672_7-32013603.html

18. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I heard it's a rip off os x in a lot of ways.

19. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    SP1 is already in development.

20. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    But OS X is probably the best operating system right now, so wouldnt Microsoft want their operating system to look, feel, and run similar to OS X?

Probably, but Im going to wait for SP1 and then upgrade.

I believe it.

21. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Vista is very hardware intenseive. BTW, I agree with CNets assessment. At some point I will have Vista, but not yet.

22. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Like every Windows OS before it? ha ha... Have to keep the hardware manufacturers onside.

We seem to be getting more computing "appliances" in the house. game consoles, media extender, handheld game units, MP3 players, cameras, gps, cycling computers... Windows time as the centre of the universe is over.

McNealy said it: "The Network is the Computer"

23. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    been running RTM since nov.

it's.......ok, i guess.

24. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

25. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Yes, but not as significantly so as in the past. For XP I could've run a computer that's a couple of years old and been fine. With Vista, you need a brand new, top of the line PC to run smoothly. I ran Vista during alpha testing in 2001 and it was sluggish on my then pre-production HP.