CLS63 Vs M5 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CLS63 Vs M5

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Blackbird4life, Jan 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VanCooper

VanCooper Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2002
    I'm sorry but there aren't many words that can describe the feeling you get at the wheel of your 4 door sedan tooling down the highway knowing you have 10 cylinders ready to shock the hell out of you and anybody around!

With that said there is only two characters that fit the afore-mentionned description and they are "M5"!

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    M5 hands down. I think it looks great.

The CLS still looks to much like a banana.

However, I am hoping the redesign of the CLS looks better because those are my initials.

3. quattro

quattro Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel Kelly
    well heres my .02

Regarding the cls63 I have not yet ridden in or driven one so I cannot give any educated opinion on it other than I do like the styling of the CLS.

For the M5 I have ridden in one as well as had the opportunity to drive one albeit not for an extended period of time but enough to get the feel of it. It is an excellent car for what it is, although heavy the steering is fairly precise and it definitely moves out. The sound of the V10 is awesome almost unnoticeable at idle and regular driving however put some weight on the peddle and it screams at upper rpm's. A car that would make a great daily in my opinion.

Now for my suggestion...Buy the m5 then drive to the nearest audi dealer and tell them you want the first rs6 in the door. here is why.

"Powered by the same V10 engine as the S6, but with some help from a turbo delivering about 520-550 bhp, this Audi will give the M5 and E63 AMG a strong challenge. The RS6 will debut in Geneva in March 2007."

I personally cant wait to see this car it will weigh in similarly to the M5 have more power, which you will probably be able to add 100 or so more to with an ecu flash from AWE once there released. But you also get all wheel drive so its much more stable in winter(I didnt check your location so i dont know if thats applicable) not to mention probably twice the torque of the m5 with a better powerband.

Although if you cant tell by my username i may be slight biased ;)

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I'd go with the CLS63, but then I'm a biased former AMG owner. I would expect the Benz to nickle and dime me to death (or rather, $500 and $1,000 me to death) after the warranty was up, however, I would have no qualms about pushing the engine to the limit every day. That's something I would be hesitant to do in the BMW, especially when the warranty is up.

Also, the only thing preventing AMG from building a car that can handle is people's minds. Just because it has a three-pointed star on the hood and not a propeller doesn't mean it can't negotiate a corner.

5. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    After reading through these posts I think you are either a Mercedes person or a BMW person... the same way people are cat people or dog people.

Obviously, Dogs and BMW's are the best. :p

6. YSS

YSS Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    SA
    Having driven both, i would NEVER buy a 55.
    the 63 is a totally superior machine IMO

the 55 has stuff all traction. driving a nice coupe / sedan at that money should mean i can be relaced when driving.
    in the wet ( i was in an Sl55 on the weekend in the rain), it is a pain to drive. In a 55, you just have to be careful and traction control cuts in every 5 seconds even when you are behaving.

i drove the 63. Floored it from a standing start. Wheelspin for no more than 2 ft and then took off like a rocket. no comparison in what i would drive.

my 0.02

yss

7. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    Not always ;) Ask me to decide between Z4M and SLK55 and I'd go Merc hands down (that sound!!!). CLS63 and M5 though... I think the BMW engine just tips the scales for me :) Although the CLS is a really good looker compare to the M5.

8. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    This is a real tough one. I am usually more fond of Mercedes than BMW, but the M5 is definitely a very cool car. But I guess at the end of the day I'd choose the CLS because of the looks and the better performance. The design of the CLS is certainly more elegant..

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Using iDrive while on the move is what I like about it most...it seems to be easier and safer than having to find and punch or turn a bunch of buttons or dials. One of my partners has a Porsche TT which has a very busy dash with buttons everywhere...he has ridden with me in my M5 and says he wishes his car had iDrive. As far as SMG, it is in fact a manual transmission and does have a clutch...not a torque converter like a slush box. It does take some folks longer to catch on to modern technology than others...even when its superior...my dad still has a rotary phone that he prefers using over the push button type...but, different strokes for different folks...plug in your 8 track and enjoy...LoL...

10. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Wow Franklin,
    You must be on the BMW payroll or something. Because every time anyone says anything about a BMW, you respond as if it were an attack. Yes we ALL know BMW is the best thing since sliced bread , so it's ok to tone it down a few notches, we believe you.LOL. BTW did you read the test by Car and Driver, CLS63 was faster 0-60, 1/4 mile and 0/150. AND it was thier choice for handling. So much for old technology.

Darrell.

PS if the car doesn't have a 3rd pedal, it's an automatic. Like I said before, nowhere does it say a automatic has to have a torque converter.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I don't own a BMW,I'm not on their payroll and couldn't agree more with Parkerfe's observations.
    I really don't care what some scribe will write after spending a couple hours in a car ,never bothering to even open the Owners Manual.
    I had an E55 and later M5 as "daily" and that is the only "source" of my opinion ,not some magazine writer driving a Civic on a daily basis.

12. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Yes, but the 63 is NOT a 55.

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would have to agree there too. My experiance though is with MB's 'sports cars' more so.

Yet, hands down I can say ANY BMW, from the M5 to an old E24, has better driving dynamics then a 'suspension tuned' MB. They might be fast around turns, but the steering feel hasn't changed much in 10 years.

Now if MB's 'sports cars' can't match BMW, I would be hard pressed to believe any sedan could.

That said, I would not buy either. QP all the way for me. (if I was in the market)