Factory Restoration of 1983 308GTS 45563 | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Factory Restoration of 1983 308GTS 45563

Discussion in '308/328' started by matteo, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

good point darth...i think you are correct. another interesting thing...do you think a factory resto will actually be a 95 point car? or...do you need to pay more for that?

2. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I have completely disassembled a 78 308 GTS and I know now that I wouldn't want a factory resto> There are several things the factory put into this car that I am glad to be rid of, first of all the buckets full of asbestos like material all around the engine bay; you wouldn't believe how much of that stuff is in there, not only a health risk potentially but also the reason why any shiny 308 might be completely rusted on the inside. Another thing is the crapy undrecoat they had inside the doors and the rear fenders. I wouldn't want the heatshield on the manifolds I would rather have them ceramic coated. Italian carbuilding is not the best, I think its better to use POR 15 inside the doors and frame then the paint they use. etc etc
    Bushings and shocks etc are easy, you can have any talented mechanic do that kind of stuff.

Helmut

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Picassos go for what they go for because he was the first that did things like that. If you 3 year old was born in 1907 and pulled stuff off like his early years, you too would have a multimillion dollar art collection by now.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

As you know many of us here and in the Ferrari community get absolutely upside down doing a restoration on their car. Most chock it up to just plain being a car fanatic. It seems like at some point down the road somebody always comes out on top buying a restored car.
    So I don't know if the point is that you will have a car worth what you put into it when all is said and done. But, you might have the finest example on the planet if that is what you desire.
    Personally, I would seek out an original car with delivery miles on it. I don't think in the 308 world, that is impossible.

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    yes

6. LennyZeutzius

LennyZeutzius Karting
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2004
    Palmdale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lenny
    I don't see why some pics can't be posted of the car being loaded onto (or into) a container and/or on to the ship.

Is that really too much to ask ?

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

With all due respect there is quite a bit more to it than that. If he ever had the opertunity to hang his daughters painting next to a Picasso original it would all become painfully clear.

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Gentlemen, the Picasso comment was a JOKE!!! My daughter doesn't paint like Picasso....more like Monet. Only she uses her fingers. ;)

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Eugenio and I are on the same train of thought here.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Its just such a common comment about Picasso and his work. I am a huge fan and speaking of youngsters that do paint like Picasso I own a couple of Alexandria Nechita's works and she is fabulous. So you can be a kid and paint like Picasso, I stand corrected. Now back to restoring Classic Ferrrai's.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    No, actually the 95+ was meant to be in reference to a restored car that has seen some post-resto road use.

12. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L

At the risk of a "crucifixial interruption"...

There were several listed as being in the know earlier through email and documentation.

Perhaps a PM to one of them would shed some light on the subject and you could later share it with those of us not worthy to view same.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He can ride with it...pack some sandwiches......

14. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    6/29/06

15. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    It's kinda hard to believe some of you guys STILL don't think Matt is going through with this.

As a disinterested third party, I invited myself along with Matt to the Ferrari press conference at the LA auto show a few days back, simply because I wanted to get into the show before the crowds appeared, and Matt had an exclusive invite.

I had met Matt once or twice at a few lunches we had both been to. No previous ties. I'm not a lapdog, just as curious as some of you have been.

As we got to the booth, Matt was greeted like a long lost friend by the Vice President of FNA, a jovial Brit named Adam.

They discussed timing, shipping pains, scheduling and other mundane aspects of shipping a car back to the country of its manufacture. We spent about 45 min at the booth, and Matt left there giddy as a child on Christmas day!

The big thing now is not whether or not it will happen, but how long it will take the factory to finish the car and ship it back.

Matt's hoping for March or April, I'm guessing more like June or July!

16. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

I was giddy because I found out my car is the 1st US car to go to back to the factory under this program.

I actually hope it takes until Nov so THEY can fly the car back and put it in their display rather then Paul's 275.

And yes, The red binder, numbered to the chassis of the car that you get with the certification, it worth it.

17. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I started with the thread doing just that. But because it was derailed, I decided to stop.

18. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Yes, I would get the certified car because as FNA is moving closer to keeping the cars as original as possible via inspections and certifications for events, having the cert will be more and more important.

19. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    It's a binder with a ID plate similar to the chassis plate and the cert is tamper proof

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Your words, as the originator of this thread, are here for all to see.....

I was asking Blainewest what he would do....

21. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    well la de da da...

22. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    still don't buy it.

23. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    matteo- please keep us informed as it progresses.
    I just hope that you'll be willing to drive a factory restored car. (not just park it in your livingroom)

24. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Darth, you are drifting from your own original argument (perhaps because it was untenable) which was that somehow a used $40K 308 would have the same market value as factory restored example. My point was not about market value in the first place but I don't agree with you anyway. Time will tell I suppose. But now your point seems to be that a 308 restored by a respected US shop would be worth the same as one restored by FERRARI. Are you kidding?....If you extend that logic to it's obvious conclusion you'd have to ask a question about why anyone would buy a ferrari as opposed to commisioning a "Ferrari" from scratch by any shop. I could be wrong..... it'll be interesting to see how the market values these factory restos in comparison to Tony's Classic Restorations. My hunch is that, in a market that is perhaps the most "brand sensitive" on the planet, having a car restored at the original factory will have a significant upward impact on the value of the restoration.

To answer your question...no I would not....but the 308 is not my dream car. If you substitute the 308 for the 206/246, put enough money in my hands to be in the market for a 250K Fcar.... I'd pay the extra in a minute.

25. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Who's arguing?