Suzuki GSX-R1000? | FerrariChat

Suzuki GSX-R1000?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by parkerfe, Dec 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Absolutely the best Zero to Coffin times.

3. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Franklin, here is the deal. ALL of the top tier sport bikes are soooo good, they usually out perform the rider by a long shot. Instead of looking at just the raw numbers (because they are so close), go down and sit on and if possible take a test ride. Find the one that fits you best. I personally fit the zx-10 better due to the narrower tank and frame area, which doesn't splay the legs out as much. They are all increadable bikes, and can not go whong with any of them.

Darrell.

4. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    great bikes. Not a portbike rider? If not, you are just kidding, I assume?

5. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    oops! I meant, "sportbike" rider, doh.......

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

frank,

all you say is true w/ respect to value and performance. as dmoore says...all of the liter bikes are WAY beyond the capabilities of the rider.

i have race for many years in the wera and ccs sanctioned road races and i would be very quick to say that the performance of a gixer 1k is well beyond my abilities...and i used to turn 1:29's dead at the old road atlanta on my 750 superbike (those that know will confirm that is getting around pretty well!).

if you want a sport bike, just forget about the performance (you can assume that it is all there!!) and find one that you are comfy on and that looks super cool. and just keep your head>

best,

peter

7. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    GSXR750 is a better all-around sportbike and it doesn't have that ugly dual muffler set up either

8. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    If all you're going for is something to keep your cruiser company, than I would stay away from any superbikes. Look more at the dual sport category like Yamaha FZ6/1, Suzuki SV650/1000, Honda 599/919, etc

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Depends on what you are looking for.

I personally prefer the literbikes. The additional handling of a 600 or 750 is something that you could only ever realize on a track in a competitive situation with highly honed skills, but the big difference in torque is something even a n00b will feel every time they accelerate on the street.

Frank, a GSXR-1000 is maybe a tad much for a first sportbike - it's sort of like getting an elise with a 600 turbo V6 as a first car - hard to control, VERY easy to lose control of when you start getting more and more confident of your abilities and start giving it more gas and leaning more and more. If you intend to get into going fast and getting your knee down, you would probably do better to start off with a Suzook SV and take some track lessons. If you just want to took around town and have the baddest of the bad, then any of the literbikes will work and none will be any faster than another. Go sit on them all and buy based on comfort and style over what the numbers say. Whether you had a poop that morning and ate already will have a bigger difference in performance than the model of bike.

10. asds3x

asds3x Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Great bike, awesome brakes, a few mods get's you to 180RWHP, and drops the weight about 25 pounds.

Wrong forum to ask about sportbikes. You get a bunch of daddies telling you how "they know someone who died or got mangled" on one. Find a bike forum instead. I have a few sportbikes myself including a turbo charged Busa w/ 345 RWHP. Being a dad I get to hear the same stories from all the SUV-MiniVan- slow driving sportcar drivers who I come in contact with.

Have fun. First time you put it into a two wheel drift in a fast corner you will understand why I think cages are for pvssies.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Helmets too... Screw helmets...real men scoff at them.

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You're batman!

:rolleyes:

13. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I've been seriously checking out 1L sportbikes as well, the Suzukis are the most uncomfortable, then Hondas which basically copied the GSXr Suzukis and they have a electronic steering damper as well, they are best suited for the track, Kawasakis are a bit more comfy in the litre class.

I have a friend that just puchased a new ZX-14 and he is absolutely crazy about it, the ZX-14 is the fastest production bike now, it has a longer wheelbase than the litre bikes and is more suited to open roads.

The ZX-14 has around 190hp but with the longer whelbase its less easy to bring the front end up, you also sit more upright so its more comfy. Its going to be my next bike check them out you can get them cheap now new.

14. asds3x

asds3x Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    I sure do.... nothing but bareback for me. I love Texans

15. asds3x

asds3x Karting

Oct 11, 2004

And you must be related to Tex.

16. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    #16 348 Turbo, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you're looking for a beautiful bike to put in there that will delight you on the street as well, why hasn't anyone moentioned the Yamaha R1?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    #17 348 Turbo, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1

19. ferraripete

that is actually kinda funny.

20. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Trying to commit F-Chat suicide? Or are you really only 15?

21. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    A commonly overlooked litre bike is the Honda RC51, no longer in production.

Perfect bike, for track and street. 150 hp, V-twin, lots of balls and great breaks. Its very low so it handles well, pretty comfortable too.

It'll get up to 180mph like the other 4 bangers, and sounds better doing it.

22. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    You must be a real charmer with the ladies.

...or with any other group of people.

...Oh wait, I forgot, you get nervous when you're in the company of men. ;)

23. ferraripete

i know so many like this guy...a street squid that thinks he's quick.

good idea for ya...pull those shiny knee puck off and take some sand paper to them...that way you can pretend you really are fast.

better idea may be just to go post on another site.

24. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Any of the litre bikes are dirt cheap fun when it comes to the $/performance.

here is a break down of the current 1000cc race replica's:

Gixxer - the one by which others are measured
    ZX10 - quick, light and a little "active" in the handling dept. Not twitchy, just lively.
    R1 (2006) - Good all arounder, a little larger feeling but very stable. Some complain that its a little peaky in the power band, but I dont think its that bad.
    R1(2007) - From what I've heard this is the new standard, truckloads of mid-range torque (the only one I havent had the chance to ride yet, I can report back in on this one in the spring).
    Honda CBR1000RR - Good in all departments, not outstanding in any one.

All are very good, all are faster than you (and me) and all can put you in the hospital toot-freaking-sweet.

Can you ride them safely? Sure. That part is up to you. You have the ulitmate control over these bikes. But, if you are the type that WILL twist the throttle up and "See what the bike can do" you will get hurt. If you cant keep yourself from doing that, get a 600cc or a 650cc twin and start there.

25. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I agree (yet again) with Choptop . He has a great break down of all the bikes. A litre bike can be a ton of fun on the street or track. They can also be just as deadly as any 600 if you do not have the proper discipline in your right hand.

I think Ferraripete will agree with me on this though. As for sliding a bike on the street. Chances are you will never do so. If you do, you are going WAAAAAY to fast for any type of street riding environment. However, you can still use up all of your rear and 90% of your front tire(s) on the street and while moving, um, "rather briskly". You can still be within marginal limits of certain street riding scenarios.

Again, it is riding within YOUR limits and not that of the bike. As others have said on this thread, the factory or showroom streetable *racebikes* limits are way above those of the average street rider.

I'll leave you with this thought though. (espeically the squids who may read this.) before you decide to "drift" or "slide" your bike on the street.

If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably highsided. Either way you need new leathers.

Cheers!

Scott