246GT Values | FerrariChat

246GT Values

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by alberto, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What are current prices are for 246 GT (not spyders, not chairs/flairs)? I need to resubscribe to FML, but if anyone can post their asking prices, I'd appreciate it. Also, anything in particular to look for (other than the usual Ferrari stuff: overall condition, service records, tools, books, rust, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Alberto

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a beautiful blue/tan in Autoweek right now. No stories.

Bring $72K

Cavallino #136 shows the numbers from $45K to 95K!
    That's a hell of a spread.

Maybe the older guys can tell us some tales from when the Dinos were SLOW moving off the lot, when new.

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Anything under $65k will have issues. The few really good cars seem to fetch almost $100k but you hardly ever see them for sale. EBay range seems to be in the 70's and 80's although who knows if they are any good.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    If I were looking at getting a Dino, it would be one of the original 206 models...
    Light weight alum. body and engine that help add to the tossibility of the car. mmmmm

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    That's a different car though. The turbo I have heard is very suspect for reliability and I wouldn't want to guess how to get parts. Are you sure it's an aluminum body?

6. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Ken: You're probably thinking of the 208, the turbocharged, 2 liter version of the 308. The 206 was the predecessor to the Dino with a 2 liter normally aspirated 6 cyl. and slightly different wheelbase and body panels.

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The 206GT was not a turbocharged car...
    Yes the body was aluminum, as was the engine.

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Yes, you're right. I wasn't aware of a 206 at all. Must be a rare and expesive beast!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are rare because they were fragile, and did not sell that well.
    The mags raved about handling and the engine, but then they didn't have to pay the bills!!!!

My uncle owned one when new and the dealer was aghast at the amount of miles he was running up! Imagine, he actually drove it!

When I bought my 308GTB he advised to ear tag about $1K a month for maintenance!

FWIW, some months I'm ahead, some months I'm behind!
    Long term, I've done a little better than that.

It is interesting to note the market value currently attached to them,
    versus what he "unloaded" his for, back when.

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    When I bought my 308GTB he advised to ear tag about $1K a month for maintenance!

That's $12k a year!!! I would hope after the mandatory initial "fix er up" cash outlay, you'll have many thousands of miles with just oil and filters. The more you drive, the cheaper it is to own it!