Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #126 Newman, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Top illustration is of a BB or BBi exhaust system in euro form. Anyone have a pic of a system with add on converters for federalization? Note test ports for individual set up of carb mixtures. On the BBi like mine, you only adjust the banks rather than the individual cylinders. Having the 365 headers and seperate muffler systems like the 365 allows me to easily set up my CIS by simply monitoring the HC/CO from the muffler tips.

2nd pic is of a 365BB with the 6 exhaust tips, note 2 seperate exhaust systems with no test ports in primary tubes. I would want individual ports to set up the carbs.

365BB engine, prototype with exhaust cam driven distributor. Any go into production like this? ive only seen the straight on intake driven distributors. (I saw a new Boxer distributor on ebay from trutlands for $3500USD - ouch!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I looked and found plenty of "sausage" areas on the tires inside and out but a lot of them are just blank. Some of them have DOT info, max load, max pressure, tread wear but nothing else. What are those numbers for then, made sense to me they were dates of manufacture.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #128 ferrarifixer, Nov 10, 2006
    here you go.. just did this especially for you.. thanks for great production engine photo.. never saw ex driven dizzy before...

The date code reads 147<

The 14 is week 14, the 7 is the year, the < means it's 97 as opposed to 87 would be without <, and 77 didn't have date codes back then

This is a Pirelli but they're all the same

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im touched.....:), Ill look tomorrow morning when its lighter out and if I see it Ill post a pic. That distributor also has a mechanical tach drive.

Thanks.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    ! happy to help!

if yours are from 2000 or later they'll be a 4 digit code... ie 1403 is week 14, 2003

or 4800 is week 48, 2000.... get it?

there's no < issued..

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    from a race car?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    There are some letters in the DOT area like yours, something like fWKU then a few other numbers then 267 at the end in its own little sausage. 97 then?

On my way out, Ill check back tomorrow and thanks again.

P.

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    267 is week 26 1987

267< is week 26, 1997

9. 3@32off

3@32off Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 10, 2006
    Saint Paul, MN
    Full Name:
    Chris Borgeson
    I thought I read someplace that there was a gearing difference between the BB & BBi models. Which would make sense because all the period literature shows the BBi as being much quicker to 60 than the BB. But then again, in all the literature I have read, I've never actually seen the gear ratios spelled out. And you can never trust the car mags because I don't think they ever agree on acceleration times for cars from this era. Any one know for sure?

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The final drive ratios are different between the 365 and the 512 allowing for the lower red line of the 512 as well as torque differences and so on. Hard to know what is right, the 365 owners will claim to be the quickest, the BBi has more torque low down due to long intake runners. I would like to line a few versions up and see who kicks whos' butt but the variables like state of tune and driver will probably make no 2 cars the same unlike newer cars today. Im sure no 2 365BB's are the same so comparing a 512 to a 365 is difficult.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #136 Newman, Nov 11, 2006
  12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    yeah, they LOOK fine... and for the hassle/expense of new ones, I'd not bother to change them either.. .... but I know without doubt you'd notice a better ride and less noise and more grip with new ones... FWIW.

I'm amazed some people think a BBi is quicker than a carb BB..... but like you say...no two identical cars are even identical.. plus so many have sports exhausts/home grown fabrications (not always with jetting to suit).. that you cant say...

A BBi is a pleasure to drive as it's engine is so smooth and docile.... and this can mean it is a tad quicker on part throttle than a badly tuned carb car...but fast, it ain't, in comparison.... the lack of throttle area means it simply takes much longer to spin up than a carb car... simple physics.

I'd rather have a BBi than no Boxer at all, but given a choice... carbs 512...

yep... got one outside.. and despite howling rain and sideways umbrellas this morning... I'm going for a drive...!

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The reason people think a BB512i is faster is because most of the magazine test of the era indicated it was...as well as the Boxer gurus at Amerispec, who actually said it was almost impossible to get a BB512 to pass EPA testing. So, I suspect a lot more restrictive tuning and smog control crap had to be installed on a BB512 during USA conversion which would certainly hinder its performance. I agree that tuning affects a carb car much more than a FI car though...

14. mattei

mattei Rookie

Jan 14, 2007
    This is a great idea. I have a '81 512 and it's a little much sifting through all the chat to get to the few references to boxers.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Gald it helps, I think we've all learned something from this thread, I sure have!

16. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Welcome Mattei,
    Post some pictures of your car here for us!
    And find the Boxers owners thread, and add your info to it.
    John

17. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Does anyone know where I can download the parts manual or the workshop manual for a carburated Boxer?

Many thanks!

18. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I have no such plastic skirt at the base of the seats but I wish I did. Your S/N is lower than mine; did you add the skirts? I beginning to think mine may have gotten lost....?

19. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

hello

i knew there was a model year when ferrari became concious of corrosion. if you could help out on this question it would be appreciated. i've heard that the air conditioning was poor on the 512 BB's and that too much heat traveleled through the fromt mounted radiators to the mid-mounted 12 that keeping the drivers compartment comfortable in warm weather was all but impossible.

truth or fiction? any and all opinions appreciated.

joe

20. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi Buzz,
    That is a picture of a 1984 not my car.
    My car is an '83 and does not have the skirts on the seats.
    The skirts and the steering wheel are a real quick way to identify the last year Boxers.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The newer the better the chances are you have a more protected car but I wouldnt bank on it.

As for the heat issue, yes, the heat from the front rad outlet allows hot air to follow the hood and roof line as well as go over the open side windows and get into the car behind the seats. Insulating the crap out of the car will do nothing since its the open window that lets the hot air into the cabin. I guess you could go to NAPA and get some window vent visors and stick them onto the door frames like the soccer moms have on vans and suvs :).

22. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Hmmm.....

I have the TR steering wheel but no skirts.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I think you better sell the turd then....

24. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

hello,

but with the windows up and the A/C on, how's the interior? does the A/C cool the drivers cabin sufficiently?

thanks

25. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Folks, I'm sorry; I sort of derailed the Buyers Guide that Newman and others had contributed to so nicely.

Unless you have input and pictures similar in style to those on the first few pages of this thread, please start a new thread with questions.