S40, the King of Ferrari F40 Replicas. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

S40, the King of Ferrari F40 Replicas.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ferrari F1 2004, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What? A F40 replica with a Toyota engine?

I'm going to be sick...

2. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Great car and yet people still find away to complain just because its a replica.

Some people can actually afford the orginal but you have to think how much is maintaince costs, repairs, gas and insurance running for an orginal? overtime that run's up the scoreboard bigtime and leaves a giant hole in your wallet unless you don't drive it at all.

While other people like myself would rather build there dream car than buy it, it would be nice to go out to a dealership and buy one and look at it and drive it proudly but personally it would be even more satisfying if you built it from the ground up. Not only is it expensive, exotic but its also a one of a kind and you built it.

Id love to see a real F-40 line it up and race that replica headsup!.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If you want to build your own car, why copy someone else car then?

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I like to whole "cottage car" industry. Mosler, Saleen here, Ariel Atom, Noble from Britan, etc. Choices are good. I totally appreciate all the work invested in this, but I agree with other posters--I would rather see an original design.

5. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    No two people are alike, people have diffrent needs and thats why they personalize there rides these days. Not everybody who wants a ferrari also wants to pay for the maintance costs and insurance. Some people want something simple like a Corvette that they can go on a day to day basis and yet its a Ferrari or Lambo and thats why people go as far as replicating there deam car. So to sum it all up they build a Ferrari that suites there needs even if it is on a real time Ferrari bouget.

Also in some cases its price, some cars do cost over a million dollars and nobody wants to pay that kind of money, I wouldn't even if I did had and its my dream car I still wouldn't pay for it.

6. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Most of those are actually concidered kitcars as well.

A few years ago when the mosler was released, kitcar maganize tested it.

Everynow and then you see a Noble and even an Ariel Atom in there to. That SSC Aero is built a Diablo replicar chassis because the company used to build Diablo replicars.

7. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    It all depends on the sitiation, its like I could build an Enzo replica thats very accrrate but as long as i dont sell it I can't get sued. However If i was selling Murcielago and Enzo replicas as what the orginal cars are named after without there permission then Ferrari will get a hold me faster than what it takes to cook a pizza!.

8. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I beg to differ. Just because you would never pay that much money doesn't mean someone else won't. There are million dollar cars that are bought and sold on a very regular basis.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, you can't have it both ways!!

You can't run a Ferrari or a Lamborgini on a Corvette budget. Initial and maintenance costs are part of the territory. These cars stay as dreams to most of us, but that's OK.

Replicating a Ferrari or Lamborgini on the base of a Corvette or Toyota is just PRETENDING. They can fool themselves and a few ignorants about their car, but will be laughed at by anyone who knows anything about car.

It's like wearing a wig when everyone knows you are bold. Denotes some kind of insecurity, no? It's just like fake jewelry.

And yes, good luck to people want to pay over $1million over their dream car, and have the real thing, not some cheap replica. People who can't afford it (me included) should stay out of it!

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why not build a custome body that has style and a custom interior? You have to build both anyway, whynot make the car unique and not so fraudish.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Another old argument. :(

There is little point in designing and building your own car because there is no benchmark to measure against whether you achieved your goal. Try to mimick an existing car and you'll see how much more difficult this becomes than just coming up with your own design.

Just look at the modeller scene: Nobody tries to build their own design. Every self respecting modeller tries to build a model as close as a real car/plane/ship/setting. Building replicars is the same thing, just in a bigger scale (1:1).

PS: Yes there are the poseurs who build/buy/have these cars for other reasons. I'm not defending those, but they're only a part of the scene.

12. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John

I agree. I like the body, interior is awful and for $275k it should be really nice. Lose the fake Ferrari badges too.

I bet their sudden decision to cease production had to do with a legal brief from Ferrari.

13. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    $180k USD originally posted? I'd be MORE than happy with a real 360..

14. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I think it's safe to assume that the homely girls in the photo were the ones who put this POS together.

15. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    yeah, and you'd have a REAL Ferrari! I don't get it you're spending $180K, why not go a little extra to get a real F40.....

16. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    F40's may be more expensive down under. Either way, I agree..would rather have a 360. If you want a track car, why not a Noble or Lotus?

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Possible. My feeling is that with a 180k tag they prized themselves out of the market. A replica can cost big money, but it has to be in proportion to the prize of the original. So 180k is ok for a 250 GTO replica, but not for a F40 replica.

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Your right on you can't have a Lamborghini on a Corvette budget but you sure can build a replica that could be on the same maintance budget as a vette. Everybodys needs are diffrent and thats why some people buy and build replica's. Its not about pretending to be someone your not but rather the challenge of building your own sportscar. Keep in mind no two replica's are the same, all of them are diffrent in one way or another.

Somebody can go out there and buy a Rolex, we all can seriously, but why not find somebody who can build a watch? thats the same way I feel about replicars.

19. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Its the usual story though!

You buy a basic car and will always end up spending more and more over time on it to make it better.

This builder probably never realised how involved he would get with this car. Its a passion and he spent and spent and i bet at the start of the project, he never realised quite how far he would take it.

Good on the guy, its a nice replica

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #45 tifosi12, Nov 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not so fast. Here three pictures from three different events with 3 different replicars, which took part in Ferrari club events this season. I realize things are much more strict in the UK, but in the US luckily passion wins over purism. Not always of course, and that's ok (wouldn't want replicas at Pebble Beach or Cavallino's myself), but when fun and driving is on the menu, why not.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    HAHA

I rest my case.....

22. fifrules

fifrules Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jon Kepler
    And what exactly is the chance of a replica appreciating? 0%!

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not true. Good replicas do increase in value in a booming economy. It is true though that in a recession they don't find a buyer unlike real cars.

But then again, that's not really the point of them. If you have a car that's basically doing everything the original does at a considerable fraction of the price (depending on the original can be 1/5 to 1/10), appreciation isn't really your concern. As a matter of fact, therein lies one of the good arguments that speak for a replica: You can actually risk and afford to drive the car. I know quite a few people with real vintage and expensive Ferraris yet you never see them driving those cars. The risk of getting involved in an accident is way too big. Not only would the costs to fix the car be astronomical, it would also severly hurt its intrinsic collector's value. Something you don't have to fear much with a replica.

24. lothar

lothar Rookie

Aug 14, 2006
    Were not all rich and a replica is a nice way to go. The only thing with Ferrari that you are paying for is the name "Ferrari." Before they were F40, F50, 308 and any others they were a prototype kind of like a kit car. Hmmmmm There are street cars and kit cars out there that out perform some factory highend ferrari's. Such as Corvette, Viper, Mosler, era gt40s, Superperformance gt40 just to name a few. Lets take Mosler for instance, it uses corvette running gear and is a straight out racecar. The idea behind a good replica is to have a car that resembels a highend car that has a great body shape but can be purchased, maintained, and built by the local guy who has a semi advanced knowledge of vehicle and how to build one without spending 400,000.00. For all those die hard Ferrari guys well when u build a car with a sweet design it still wont be a Ferrari now will it.

25. marlon.delarosa

Mar 12, 2014
    Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson Best super car of them all the Ferrari F40. “… Even paint, look it’s so thin you can see the weave of the carbon fiber through it.” (No orange peel here or glass like paint finish). “It really was badly equip and badly made.” (I should not take this out of context; this is the rest of that paragraph) “Bad there was nothing remotely bad about the way it went!”
    Now imagine this nightmare if a very wealth and very manipulative guy or gal were to purchase all the Ferrari F40s in the world! Then this person would have the craziest idea - to destroy 99% of the Ferrari F40s weather it was a: F40, F40 LM, F40 LM IMSA F40 LM Evolution, F40 LM Barchetta, F40 GTE, etc… Then that 1% of the Ferrari F40 will mostly like be the most expensive Ferrari ever! Now just imagine the increase of Ferrari F40 replicas! As far as I have research that the only Ferrari F40 parts are all NOS (new old stock) as Ferrari factory has no plans of supporting a real classic super car. Your best bet is mostly like to purchase a 1/8 model Pocher Ferrari F40 – 3D Scan it – CAD it and cut it – then 3D print and assemble the plug or mold whatever floats your boat.
    Take a look at HPE Venom GT: basically a stretched out, wider replica of the Lotus Exige 300RR with a V8 on steroids! (Now this is one fast replica to hit 270 + on a 3 mile stretch)
    Just out of curiosity who officially owns the design rights to the F40 body panels: Ferrari SpA or the designer himself – Pininfarina SpA (Leonardo Fioravanti)? Similar to kit cars, if you cannot design the body just outsource it.