Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    365 and BB definitely DON'T have the Zincrox panels like QV/328.

I'm not sure about BBi though... definitely not on earlier cars, but possibly on very late cars but I think they're really similar to 2V i 308... which didn't have it either.

2. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #102 Murph, Oct 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Zincrox you mean galvanized?

FNAs website specified Boxers have galvanized panels the first Ferrari to offer this.I believe their was also a reference in Nichols book also could be wrong a bout the book though

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Most of the body panels on a Boxer are aluminum or plastic...I believe only the roof and doors are steel...

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    No, no Ferrari's were ever galvanised to my knowledge.

The QV and 328 were Zincrox sprayed, which is NOT a galvanise dip.

6. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    ZINCROX protected panels came in 1984, I cannot remember at which point in the year, but for sure earlier 1983 308QV's weren't protected and rust just as bad as earlier models.

So I suppose you need to have a late BB512i to benefit from ZINCROX protection to the steel panels.

7. ital351

ital351 Rookie

Oct 18, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi guys, I am not an owner yet. But looking at images, it looks to me like the rear body section of the 365's are shorter than the 512's when measuring from the rear of the wheel arch to the back of the car. I was wondering if this could be confirmed. Measuring at the beltline height should keep measuring consistant.

David

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
  9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That is true...the 365GT4/BB is shorter than both the BB512 and BB512i...

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I have both in my shop... I'll measure up

11. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Another minor difference among models: The "carb cover" boxes on the rear deck are closer together on the 512 BBis than on the 512 BBs or the 365 BBs. As a result, the louvers are of differing widths.

12. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
  13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    thanks, I love it. It's very nice but far from perfect.... perfectly drivable without fear of degradation though.... and I've subtly (invisibly) upgraded a few bits to make it very livable.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do you have a picture of your gas cap?

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since most of the Boxer body is aluminum or plastic, does it really need Zinrox?

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    i's not. Most of it is steel framework and the roof, sides and doors, sills and pillars etc are all steel.

There's just a few bits of alloy for show/marketing (check 288 GTO and F40 for fully BS marketing of construction). Boxers are mostly steel and heavy

17. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Doors are aluminum skinned, if the decklids were steel they would be hard to open from the weight them as they would be very heavy.

FNAs old website did specify Boxers had galvanized steel cabin and other areas with the exception of the framework

18. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Doors alloy skinned... hmmmm I think not (at least not all Boxers). Might have to check that one...

The decklids are hard to open... remove the gas struts and try again... I had a 365 engine cover belt me on the head recently.... glad it wasn't steel... but definitely NOT light....

FNA website is wrong then. No Ferrari EVER was galvanised in the true sense of the word.. like your shed roof for example. Zincrox is a half job, and it helps a bit, but is far from galvanising.

19. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Just checked with a magnet to be sure my doors are alloy

The rear declids are very light had mine apart for painting and probably weighed 30-40 lbs, the vents and air ducts add weight, had my deckid slam down on my hand one time at a mechanics shop when the wind blew it over hurt like hell but didn't break a finger

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The framework is steel, but the front and rear clamshells are aluminum and the front and rear bumper covers are plastic...only the roof is steel...

21. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    yep. checked today. Doors are steel frames with aluminium skins on both 365 and 512 Carb... still not sure about BBi though...

Roof, both side rear 3/4 panels, side sills... and chassis... all steel.

22. Cenzoooo

Cenzoooo Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Vincent L
    What are Boxers really selling for? There are cars on the market, similars models and condition that are ranging in prices from $80k up to $140K. Is the fact that the market is flooded with them hurting the sale prices? A difference of $60k between all similar cars is rediculous. Today, what should be the price of a well sorted BBi with under 40,000Km? Are over zealous sellers all throwing their Boxers out for sale because of the speculation that they're the next big money Ferrari, not realizing the number of cars for sale is hurting sales...

23. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    There is not really one Boxer market. Each of the three Boxers (365, 512 BB and 512 BBi) trade in their own ranges. Cavallino magazine has a pretty extensive price guide and it shows these differences.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #124 Newman, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good old metric tires ona BBi, here we can see the date code of the crappy from new TRX tires with a tread wear rating of 180 (short life span if used daily). My tires were made in 03 (I assume, please correct me and tell me they are from 06 if you like) and the tread is like new so im fine for a while I think :).

3 eared spinner, I need one right side spinner as the chrome is just starting to peel on one of the ears form the mallet I figure. cant seem to get e new one though and re-chroming blures the horse's detail, makes it look like a giraffe.

Correct size BBi tire front and rear. The rims are different though from front to rear and a rotation means breaking down all 4 tires and remounting them to move them from front to back (something I have to do in the spring).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    nope.. that's not the date code

date code is written in sausage shaped area... only on one side, so may be inside edge...