Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Newman! Switch to decaf!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Awesome Greg, great looking car.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    looks nice greg..

mine had dents along the back edge too... got dent doctor to fix it...

also, the 3 shooter system is very restrictive... you should get a go in a sports exhaust 365BB... quite different car...

also.. do you know anything about this car in Brisbane... it's got mixed up identity.. 365/512 mix..

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136147833&postcount=5163

4. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I like the look of the triple exhaust. Don't need more power, car is too quick for me ;) Don't know the Brissy car

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    That boxer is a 512 with smoothed over scoops and 365 tail lights. The wider wheels fit, the clamshell parting line is 512 and then the cheese grater on the boot lid just confirms it. Nice though. I do wish I had the 6 tail light set up. The weather is also better :(

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I dunno about that... but you may or may not be right

it has 365 front spoiler with no chin, it has 512 closer together tail pipe exit, it has wide rear wheels but no flared body...despite the louvres..., it has 512 mirrors,

and why would you smooth the Naca ducts out...

got me curious that car....

7. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hmmm, probably a late series 365. The later cars had the cheese grater added to the rear deck. Found this list elsewhere describing design changes during 365bb production

1st design LHD 1973-74 17185GT-17527GT - 24 made
    1st design RHD 1973-74 17401GT,17535GT - 2 made
    2nd design LHD 1974-75 17543GT-18213GT - 171 made
    2nd design RHD 1974-75 17625GT-18193GT - 54 made
    3rd design LHD 1976 18217GT-19323GT - 120 made
    3rd design RHD 1976 18233GT-19343GT - 12 made

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Really... never knew that about 365BB.. thought all were same.

what are the difference between 3 types of 365, other than "alleged" louvres on rear deck for 3rd series...?

9. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    refer to page one of this thread for some of the differences. The late series 365's did have additional rear deck louvres. There are two other 365bb here in Sydney which are late series and both have additional louvres

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I was mainly going by the thickness of the lower forward portion of the clamshell. It isnt thin like a 365 and since the 365 cabin is different in that respect the 512 lid wont fit. I say its a 512 with personal touches. The wheel wells are the flared 512's because the wider rear wheel still tucks in unlike a 512BB wheel on a 365BB.

Another question that came to mind this weekend on a trip with the boxer is regarding the front lights. When I rotate my light stalk with the lever up the headlights remain off and tucked away but the rear park lamps and BBi front bumper mounted lamps turn on. I like that feature so I can keep my lights down but still be seen when it isnt dark enough to warrant headlights. On a 365BB or a 512BB they dont have these small clear front park lamps. What lights up on a BB if the head lights are down?

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I've got 17845 (eng 00094) in my shop BTW... just for the record, but I prefer not to say any owner details. It has fixed seat backs, and no louvres, and header tank is off to left hand side (in way of carb mixture adjusters).

On BB512 , the lights come up with parking lamps on. See my profile pic.

It's a safety feature that was modified onto many 308's... if your lights stay down when parking lamps are on... you COULD drive along at night and accidently turn your lights from Main beam to parking (effectively off), when all you wanted to do was dip them...

at 140mph or more, that could be fatal.. as the time taken to go down and up again means you'd travel about 200 metres!

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive had that happen this past summer in the dark of course on a twisty back road. Up is off and down is high beam - great thinking! Just one of those "charming" characteristics of ferrari ownership. My 308 is the same.

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    NO, bloody stupid and dangerous!!

simple mod to relay board.. one piece of wire about 6" long will do it....

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes it would be an easy mod that Ill have to get around to one of these days. I dont drive the boxer in in the dark much, maybe 3 times this year and the end of october means it gets tucked away until may.

15. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes

WHAT!!

Go and slam your fingers in the door jamb, and then (when the throbbing has subsided).. go and do 1000 miles in your BB before hibernating it....

I LOVE driving mine at night... the cooler air and the carbs have a party, and the extra security of knowing if someone is coming the other way, or not, is reassuring.

Plus, the orange glow of the gauges is cool.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #92 Newman, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The stuff you see through my windshield is snow that I had the pleasure of driving in saturday morning for part of my 4 hour journey to a friends place for the weekend. I was fortunate the weather was nothing but blue skies for the weekend at his place, no salt was put down (which would have forced me to turn around) and once to his place I gave it a great clean. So, winter is coming and my baby has to go away. I did manage to put around 800kms on it in the last 2 days.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Oh, ok, I guess you're forgiven then... ;)

You could always air freight it to nicer climates.... Australia... just coming into some great weather in Melbourne, and other parts have great weather all the time....

I once drove mine all through a UK winter. Had to defrost the locks and door rubbers to get in.

Don't be scared of a little road grime... just "waxoyl" the car (or similar).

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The few times Ive driven the boxer in the rain I found it was actually excellent and rock solid. Its a great 3 season car anyway. Late summer I shot a rust inhibitor product into the door drains (its still dripping out) , the fender heels and the forward and rear lids where the steel frame has the aluminum skin wrapped around it. Looks like a great place for water to sit and do its thing. I wasnt concerned about the rain or snow but salt is another thing all together...

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agree Boxers are amazing in the rain. Salt and italian cars dont mix though.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #96 Newman, Oct 16, 2006
    These are pics of the inner structure of firstly the rear clam shell (right rear corner by the tail light), the rear rail that runs across the clamshell under the rear louvers and tail lights. As well the last 2 are of the front lid (left front corner and across the leading edge). With the skin being aluminum and the structure being steel, the coach builder wraps the (assumed to be) bare materials of dis-silmilar metals together adding rivets into the mix then adding gobs of undercoating in the visible areas one can safely assume there is the potential for disaster. I sprayed a rust inhibitor (rust-check) into these areas as well as through the door drain holes to help me sleep at night. The stuff is bleeding through the seams (darker wet areas) which tells me water can do the same and probably has, and since I wash my car from time to time or get caught in the rain (or snow) this was a concern. I think these areas can cause a serious and difficult to problem to reverse if not prevented in the first place. Something boxer owners should be aware of if not already.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #97 Newman, Oct 16, 2006
    First pic is again of the leading edge of the hood showing the rust inhibitor bleeding through, hopefully stopping any corrosion that might want to take place with water present. Being that they are two different metals contacting each other, I would be a fool to believe that nothing will take place unless oxygen is absent and maybe even then, the current or voltage created by this combination may not be dependant on oxygen? - im just a mechanic.

Second pic worried me a bit. Under the right fuel tank (pic was taken upside down) there is a square tube that runs along the rocker panel about half way down the inside structure. It is against the rocker and sand sits on that joint all up the inside of the rocker under the doors and right on up to the fender heels. If water sits there long enough or enough times it will start rust from the inside out.

Final shot is of the painted door chanel. Tifosiron is inquiring in another thread about the "tape" used to fill this chanel creating the black line down the length of the car. I say its painted not a decal ever unless the car was repainted. On mine the boxer trim would just start in the chanel but on painted cars I would say it too is painted black. This was debated on the 308's in the past and they too are painted in, not a decal or piece of tape. I cant say about a 328 though but paint just makes sense.

Finally just for interest, the door skins are made of aluminum but he shells are steel. The rockers are steel as is the rear body side and roof. The hood is aluminum skinned as is the boot lid and the bumpers are fiberglass. Im surprised the doors dont have corrosion issues like the 308's and daytonas.

22. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I've said a few times that a Ferraris greatness comes from its ability to be greater than the sum of its parts.... and among all the truly terribly built examples of Ferrari models.. the BB is particularly adept at that!

23. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The reason you don't see corrosion issues on BBs is they are the first Ferrari to use galvanized steel in the body panels, my body guy was a bit suprised they didn't used a seal or protectant between the steel frames in the decklids and the aluminum skin which causes electrolysis, but he said thats Ferrari attitude at the time, something to watch for as well.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I guess that can apply to the door shells but not the frame or the tubing used in the lids so its a major issue still. Ferrari used the galvanized panels in the QV 308 and so on but probably doesnt apply to the boxer so much.