Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I gotta say: I really do like the wide grille and no white parking lights. There's such a deliberateness (not a word) to the design....

Thanks for posting that side-by-side shot!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im partial to the exposed lights myself, maybe it will grow on you like the boxer trim did with me. I originally bought the car accepting the fact it had the black lower half that I could paint to match the car in the future but the day I drove up to take delivery I saw it on a particular angle that right then and there made me a boxer trim fan. I dont know why but now I love it.

3. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    #53 JTR, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 79, #28633.
    Front grill with exposed lights.
    Fans in place of the exhaust cans. The fans blow air in on the two mufflers.
    Also note the texture of the inner fender is smooth. I think this is original as there is some spiderweb cracking evident on all four.
    Excuse the red Kingsbourne plug wires, although they do match the MSD coil color nicely. Replacing the plug wires made a huge improvement in how the engine runs. I did save the ratty old white covered ones for a future owner though.
    Last pic is engine out for belts, etc., when I bought it. It’s somewhat cleaner now!
    I'm also leaning toward returning the paint back to boxer trim as it was originally.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks for posting the pics, can you take a pic of the under side of your boot to see the raised intake covers as well as the rubber seals for the wheel wells? Also, is that air injection plumbing I see? Your car must have been converted for N/A. Any crash bars in the doors?

P.

5. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I would if I could, but I’m still on this boat/ship. Those were some of the pics I have on my computer here.
    Air injection lines are for the CA required air pump smog stuff.
    Don’t know about the crash bars in the doors. How do you tell if it has them or not?
    And hey, where’s all the other boxer guys? We have a ‘sticky’ thread with a chance to load it up with all sorts of useful info, and everyone’s become camera shy.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I used a black MDS coil on mine and put a Magneti Marelli coil sticker on it so it looks stock...I also left the stock Dinoplex ignition in the stock location and hid the MSD ignition so the engine bay looks stock...unless you look very closely... FCA concours judges have yet to look close enough to notice...until one of them reads this post I guess...I wish teh BB512i used the white wires though...I love the way they look...especially with the white exhaust sytem like on BBLMs...

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    So where is the air pump located? The last one I saw with crash bars was quite obvious, the inside of the door above the red square light is a flat plate with bolts holding it to the door. I assume they cut a hole in the end of the door and inserted a bar welded to an end plate. It wasnt a very neat installation.

I would like more 365 pics as well as a pic of a tool kit in the brief case.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Whats the other stuff near the coil, the gold box and a few do-dads I see there?

9. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  10. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #60 Murph, Oct 12, 2006
    Jet Set Jester likes this.
  11. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    No, I have the toolkit, also although most BBi cars had a briefcase toolkit, my BBi, which was a mid 84 car had the kit in a roll pouch. No hard and fast rules it seems.
    Steve

12. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    John
    your car looks stunning, were the exposed lights done by you, I prefer the look of them and was thinking of fitting them to my BB. The shorter BBi grill is reasonable money from Ferrari UK but the BBi lamps are very very expensive. What did you do to your car?
    Steve

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks guys for posting the great shots. I was wondering about JTR's front end as well but since nothing is carved in stone I figured it is remotely possible that his car came that way. I also like the clean look of the 365 boot lid, tell me, does it run hot that way Greg? My BBi doesnt run over 90 degrees C regardless of outside temp.

I took a bunch more very specific close up shots, sort of disecting the car and seeing things like under the carpet, in the nooks and hard to see areas. I also found a potential area for rust on all boxers where sand collects and water can sit, Ill post them tomorrow.

14. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

Has never run hot. Temp gauge always stable and Sydney is usually warm all year round with very hot summers

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, almost all BB512i's came with the leather tool pouch, not the briefcase type like the 365GT4/BB and BB512 came with...some people that were missing the toolkit in their BB512i incorrectly replaced them with the briefcase type. If you look at the BB512i Ferrari Parts Manual the briefcase type toolkit is not even shown...only the leather tool pouch type.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I read that ferrari went to the pouch in the BBi and found left over brief cases at the end of the boxer production run in 84 and threw them in to use them up. My friends 84 #50081 has the brief case. His manual also shows the spinners and mallet rather than the nut and wrench for his particular car (his car has the hex nuts). I wouldnt trust the manual or the parts manual for much. If his car should have the pouch instead, he has a spare $5K tool kit for sale!

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, the Ferrari BB512i Parts Manual shows both the hex and knock-off wheel nuts with specific designations as to which market each type goes to...however,my BB512i Owners Manual also only shows the spinner type wheel nuts...

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    My owners manual is dated 82 (cant remeber the month). My friend with the 84 also has an 82 dated manual showing the nardi slotted steering wheel but his car has the TR wheel like the 84's are supposed to. Is there a newer dated boxer manual than an 82? Would a newer one show the correct wheel for his 84?

19. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Steve. I count myself very lucky to have found a pretty nice one.
    As for the grill and lights, I don’t know if they are original or not. I have all the service records from 1988 to present, and there is no mention of any change. The car was owned by a single owner from ‘79 to ’87, but I have none of those records.
    However, the full width grill has 4 vertical pieces, and mine has only three, so there should be some unused holes in the front valence if it ever had a full width grill. I’ll check when I return home.
    Newman, the air pump mounts between the starter and the carbs on a mickeymouse mount. It’s driven from a pulley off the exhaust cam on the passenger side.
    Tool set. I have a near perfect tool pouch, tan, with all tools etc., but suppose my car should have the briefcase instead. Anyone want to swap?
    And lastly, the old service records are sure interesting reading! Besides biggies like belt changes and a couple clutches, there’s lots of little clitch type repairs; carbs out of wack, ignition misfiring, a couple of electrical problems, etc, but only one flatbed trip to the shop!
    The total spent in the last 18 years is a bit of a choker though! But she’s been well kept. Only averages out to about $2300 per year. My 2nd wife was costing me a lot more than that!
    John

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #70 Newman, Oct 13, 2006
    Original headlamps (mind the bug guts, I keep forgetting to clean them), silver anodized aluminum hood grill (some are charcoal and ferrari UK has them still) work of art wiper arm, forgive the dust on the hood and window, long story. 512 tail lights in proper configuation for an unconverted car as some of the converted DOT cars have these lights swapped around to avoid the side marker lamp installation on the bumper or boot (good idea actually).

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #71 Newman, Oct 13, 2006
    512BB or BBi side scoop for engine compartment air.

Spinners are left and right hand side and once rechromed the horse looks like a giraffe. Im trying to find a right side one but ferrari UK has none and a rechrome is out of the question. One of the ears is peeling from the mallet treatment, minor but irritating.

The Boxer engine air intake vents are anodized not painted, a common mistake during a repaint or just laziness, either way it sucks if they get painted. Mine are still untouched thank god!

Secondary latch for boot lid that if forgotten you can see it sticking up in your face when you look over your shoulder or out the rear view mirror, great idea.

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #72 Newman, Oct 13, 2006
    82 BBi seat side, Murph mentioned (and showed us) a different trim treatment to the seat tracks on a later boxer. My car has the additional seat back which matches this lower side piece which is different from the later version.

Door sills covered with plastic for protection usually removed by now. Mine arent ratty so they will stay there for the time being. The next owner can remove them becasue we are all really just care takers right?

BBi controls, front to back, A/C, rear fog switch (depending on market), hazard, window switches (in 5th gear drivers switch is obstructed), right and left heater controls (hers is usually on mine off), power mirror switch in upside down so it all works backwards but that might be unique to mine. Right and left fan switches and temp control that leaves a lot to be desired. The A/C does work though and I find the park brake handle has a habbit of angling towards me over time from pulling it up it bends over a bit. I straighten it about 6 times a year.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #73 Newman, Oct 13, 2006
    BBi only prancing horse on the console ahead of the shifter. There is a raised bump under the carpet to angle it toward you for better viewing I guess.

Hidden glove box release switch under radio closer to the column, sort of goofy way to open it but I guess the door looks better without a button or knob on its face.

This is the best warning light in the car, very cool and says it all.

Hard to come by engine compartment lights, 1 per side that only function if the headlamp switch is on assuming you only need lighting back there if its dark out. It is triggered by the push switch on the left forward corner of the compartment by the left fuel tank.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #74 Newman, Oct 13, 2006
    Right hand WUR or warm up regulator or system regulator, goes by a few names depending on whether its VW talking about the bosch part or ferrari talking about the bosch part. Just behind it you can see the firing order on the block by the number 3 cylinder.

3rd pic is of the front brake cooling duct in the one half of the elongated slit just above the spoiler lip. The larger opening is for the larger cooling ducts the original owner had installed many moons ago. These are not correct but I dont care. They do look like a ferrari part though, made of the same material the 308 side air intake ducts are made of - same texture and colour as well

Finally the BBi flash to pass lights. Too bad they dont work as a fog lamp with a normal switch. I considered wiring in a relay to make them functional at night. I thought a BBi (or BB) used the same light stalk as the 308's but the plating is black instead of silver on the 308 and it lacks the flash to pass function. The lamps have a brown portion inside them behind the reflector givng them that colour from this angle. I bought these from MSDesign from his previous boxer, they are in very good condition and now I have spares.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #75 Newman, Oct 13, 2006
    Grill horsie, proper flat horse with dull finish. TR takes the same one on the rear once you strip it and replate it silver. I might buy the chrome pretty one just for the hell of it and save the original one from a stray rock. A friend of mine had to replace his after it lost its tail. My car had a front plate so I think its protected it all this time.

Lower valance with a few marks, none from me. Ill be taking the front bumper off this winter for a respray and to detail things behind the grill as well. The small hole is for the tow hook from the tool kit.

365 headers on a 512 with the required ansa sport muffler to make it all work with the 4 tips. The small tags indicate this as well to double check if purchasing a boxer.

Can someone post pics of 512 headers?

Anyone have under carriage shots of a 365 and 512BB?