250 GTE/GTO | Page 5 | FerrariChat

250 GTE/GTO

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by TexasMike, Jun 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. myPalhave1

myPalhave1 Rookie

Jul 4, 2004
    looks good but not for me.. the white 911R rocks thou :p

2. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #102 TexasMike, Oct 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Hi, Bill,

Two GTO Spyders were built The original was built on a bare 250 PF Coupe chassis (the body was long gone) owned by Hilary Raab, Jr. The design was done by Dave Cummins, and is far more complex than it might seem. The "GTO Spyder" was deliberately chosen, as this was a car Ferrari never built, and so it would not be a replica of anything. The chassis for Hil's car was not modified -- Hil thought that someday he might find a PF Coupe body and redo it as original -- so it is a LWB GTO Spyder. This is the yellow car pictured in various threads.

Frank Beard saw that car when he was at Hil's house, and after a great deal of discussion, decided to have one built but to proper GTO specs. Greg Jones provided the car and Mark Gerisch (then M&L Coachworks, for Mark and Lisa, his wife) built the car. This car is 3919 GT, a GTE chassis.

These are the only two GTO Spyders ever built

O.G.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Even though i consider myself a purist, I can forgive the GTO spyders, what I cant forgive is that SPAL fan peeking through the front vent my god that is a sacrilege!! :p Fo heavens sake use a ****ty period fan, what is this world coming too! :)

BTW I think Lord March should be executed, he smashed up really important cars, for greed - not pleasure.

I tend to agree if this is to be done find a proper donor car. What many here dont understand is if you have unlimited money then you can use it in ways that may make others cringe. I think the GTO spyders are as good as looking as a car can get except for tthe nembo spyder a rebody which i consider the best looking Ferrari of all time!

Rob Garven

5. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    i would have no trouble with such a car especially if done from a rough or wrecked gte since the cost to repair would render such a car unusable otherwise. it looks like a quality job, from what is shown.

i would think it was a really handsome car if i didnt know what a gto looks like.

i have always been a sucker for the fastback.

tom w

6. 365gt2+2

365gt2+2 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    with the wife
    Full Name:
    Norman B'stard
    Heres something that may help sort out one thing.... as far as i Know this car doesnt reside with APB... he has two of the real things so no need to create this..... apparently though, he does have one of those GTO spyders in his collection (although it could belong to Christopher, as he really is into the strange stuff).. i have seen the car in the garages at Utoxeter but it was half under a sheet and i couldnt get a very good look at it...
    Anyway.. more on the 400i GTO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 365gt2+2

365gt2+2 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    with the wife
    Full Name:
    Norman B'stard
    AArrrgh.... you have the wrong Lord Charles....... Charlie March wouldnt dare do that... Charlie Brockett however, had no such Morales.....

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yeah, but other than that . . . .

635CSI likes this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wow. A bump to a thread created before we had a seperate "Reactreations and Non-Period Re-Body" section!

So moved.

Matt

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Mark Gerisch with the Hil Raab car. Mark on the left in the photo. The guy on the right is Brady Quinn (I think) of the FCA Chicago region. From the 1992 FCA National Meet, Grand Rapids, MI. Rob Manchester photo:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JP365 and 375+ like this.
  11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I apologize for naming Lord March as the culprit of course he is a amazing automobile aficionado!

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    'Old guy' got right to the point!

13. Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki Rookie

May 9, 2004
    I saw the yellow one at Road America some years ago, resplendent in yellow, the wire wheels reflecting the sunlight. I really wanted to steal it.

of2worlds likes this.