Dino Restoration | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It's correct, the D is at the top on both.

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    As I'm getting closer to paint, are the undersides of the engine lid etc. textured? Also the black on the sills and under the front and rear bumper is it satin or what?

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    My original color was white with black satin under bumpers and doors. When repainted to blue I used rubberized texture paint and it has held up much better than straight enamel. Probably cuts down on corrosion too. Rocks bounce off rather than chip paint. Tricky to get the line just right all around the car. While it is on the BBQ you ought to level it and mark a line. Let black come about 1/4" above crease under door. Dead level is just fine but makes masking real fun around the nose. Worth it.

John

4. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    For the underside and chassis tubes, I recommend Sherman Williams Polane T. It is a 2 part, low gloss polyurethane coating which looks like the original chassis/floor paint and really sticks.

It needs to be sprayed on for best results but any professional painter will know how to get it to work right from their gun.

Best of luck....Keith

5. FERRARI NOS 1

FERRARI NOS 1 Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2006
    My compliments to the rapid and extensive work to this dino.Its going to be a masterpiece!
    I really enjoy seeing all the spare parts full cleaned and shiny can't wait to see this car finished.
    Dinos have a great finish in all colours.I own two black ferraris and would not reccomend black unless you love to wash your car every 3 days.I love black on ferraris, but would not put black on a car with such beautiful lines and curves.A dark colour will hide detail.This car is full of detail and I think it should be shown.
    Red is so common, but an excellent choice as it is always appreciated and most collectors like ferrari "rosso corsa".
    Yellow is pretty nice and greg blue sent some nice pictures posted previously.Excellent car.
    But for my personal opinion the best dino I ever saw was blue electric metallic colour (sought of blue chiaro electric).It was a gts with tan interior.Photo of it was infront of a hotel in U.S without its targa roof and was shining in the sun like no other dino.I wish I had the photo to post it.I will look in my archieves of ferrari photos.

Anyway I wish you all the very best in your choice of colour and can't wait to see picures.
    Fantastic Job!!!!!

6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #656 omgjon, Oct 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today the car moves 1 spot over, from the finish metal stage to the finish body stage. I painted the block and soon as the parts get here it's ready to go back together. Then have to tackle the gearbox. I tried metal blackening product today, it seemed to work pretty good. I also took all the engine nuts, bolt and washers and put them in this bolt cleaning deal I got. I put them in for 2 hours and they look pretty good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jon - while it is fresh in my mine. Make sure that you open all of the trim holes after the block and sanding is complete, and before painting. I refer to the holes for the Pininfarina side badge, the Dino GTS badge, the Dino front ensignia badge, etc. I did not clean the skim-coat bondo from the Pininfarina badge holes, and once the passenger tank is in you will not be able to locate them. Makes life a great deal easier if these small holes are visible after the car is painted.

Oh, and don't forget the rubber bumper holes along the rain channel of all of the deck lids. Find the holes now and use an awl or small drill bit to freshen them in preparation for when the car is complete and ready for reassembly.

Jim S.

8. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Jon:

What does that thing that is filled with a substance that looks like coffee grinds do?

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

small parts cleaner. Like a little blasting cabinet, wihtout the mess.

DM

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good point - chase the two exterior rear view mirror mounting holes also.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Where did you buyt the metal blackening solution, Omgjon? Andy

12. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
  13. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Very cool toy - that's a new one for me.

Thanks Jon/DM.

14. FERRARI NOS 1

FERRARI NOS 1 Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2006
    Jon ,Did you decide what colour the exterior of the dino is going to be rewarded?

15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Dino Blue Metallic

16. Ferrari World Champ !!!

BANNED

Oct 6, 2006
    Excellent choice!!!.

I was said to here that ferrarichat let ferrari nos 1 back on (LSR) but some U.S guys that sell ferrari parts gave him a big hassel and they kicked him off, because in the past he was La Scuderia Rossa.He explained to Ferrarichat he did not mean to be so defensive ,but they kicked him off saying he had two I.Ds this was not true as he was using his brothers I.D.They are two different people.

I like to see more Ferrari parts people selling parts .The Competition is great for us Owners,maybe better prices!!!!

Why kick off La Scuderia Rossa I read his posts after he told me what happened.He was only defensive in his regard!!! Is it a free world for right of speech!!!

La Scuderia Rossa is highly respected with many ferrari owners and clubs ,why does ferrari chat have to be so discriminating in his regards !!!

Buy a close person to La Scuderia Rossa.

Are you kicking me off for being his friend!!!

17. Ferrari World Champ !!!

BANNED

Oct 6, 2006
    how many of you know shaugnessy (he has it in with LSR on all chats ) he sells parts also.
    What about redlo (he sells parts on ebay)
    well I'm going to sell my parts too!!!!
    and I'm from down under and I'm not scared of LSR , Muiraman, syncro , and all. welcome everyone its a free world and I live in this world too!!!

ferrari chat nice people!!! that chat. some people on top might kick me off but I'd rather be honest with everyone and say my opinion than judge a fellow parts sales guy and kick him off cause his competition.

I say bring it on!!!! can't wait to see www.lascuderiarossa.com and can't wait to sell my parts to him also!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie exotics

Forza shumi and all you honest Ferrarichaters that are genuine and here to have fun, keep rolling!!!!!!!!!!

18. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    I don't really care if you know LSR personally, this is not the place to have this discussion. Start a new thread if you want, but please don't ruin this one with inane comments that are not at all relevant to Omgjon's great work and car. He's doing us a great favor by letting us follow his progress, don't knock it off topic.

Peter

19. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

No you were kicked off for being him!

20. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Fried after 21 minutes and only 4 posts. Fchat police strikes again. It's good to know we're being cared for very well. Way to go Andrew.
    Best
    Jurgen

21. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    What was all that about?

22. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    La Suderia Rossa were by popular opinion banned for having a number of accounts and agressive / abusive posts.....and have re-registered several times under different names, this time as an australian friend of LSR....but with a generic email addres from LSR's internet domain

Hopefully all the non Dino restoration relevant posts will be deleted in the next couple of hours :)

On a side note anybody know where I can get one of the vibrating small parts cleaners in the UK?....or should we get a box full sent over from the US?

23. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They are called Ultrasonic Cleaners, and why on earth would you need one?????????

24. 74dino246gts

74dino246gts Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Northern California
  25. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #675 omgjon, Oct 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm still waiting for a few more parts before I can start the engine reassembly. In the meantime I thought I would tackle the heating and ventillation system. There are two small radiators where the hot water passes through. I'm going to powder coat the boxes and recore the radiators or maybe get rid of the heater entirely. Lot of weight and never used in San Diego, but we'll see. I got all new vent hose to replace the existing. The fan motors work fine will probably clean and paint the parts.