NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP | Page 7 | FerrariChat

NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Oh this thread is getting quite chilly!!
    Steve

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Steve I am refering to driving experience. In period the FI seemed to be regarded as a retrograde performance step. The debate still continues today, and you have significant seat time in both.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The TR was designed to have good ac and be accomodating to fat americans who play golf, in that sense it is one of the first modern ferraris.
    To me the real issue with the tr line is the looks. Ferrari design is usualy like that of a classicaly beautiful woman, harmony of line with beautiful hips. The tr has basicaly a fat ass, and the rear is disjunctive with the front which is uninspired anyway, but then having traveled through some states that is what many in the usa seem to prefer.

On a positive note the looks are certainly startling, like newer bmws, and pink cadillacs with tail fins, so one day they will be appreciated for their "bold" design, in fact because they epitomise the 80's so well they will probably be truly collectable. A boxer on the other hand has elegance and purity of shape.
    30 years from now they will both be extremly collectable, and both will be a raw ride compared to what will exist then. The boxer was the last of the old raw school of ferrari, like a ducati you adjust to it and are truly rewarded. The TR was brash in looks and a transitional car like the moderns designed to coset you too. One is a fine wine the other a really good beer. Both have their place, and we are all flat 12 bretheren.

4. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Mr hostility , show me anywhere where I said only a fool would take a boxer over a TR - time to take a couple of reading classes, lower your ego and and not get wound up over petty things. I dont wish to own a boxer oe ride its wave, I am happy with what I have. If I wanted the boxer I would have bought it. Please, try and not misquote me going forward-thanks

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

The TR is not beer compared to the Boxer. The boxer is an older finer vintage. The TR is well, too new...just put in the casks. :)

Yes, yes, yes, it is a matter of taste. I like the boxer very much. I just like the TR better. You must assume that some people will just like something else, not because they really want what you like. I have not bashed a boxer in any way....I like the lines ! I just don't like the references to prefering a TR is somehow of lower class and taste.

I will agree on the "raw" factor. There is still alot I miss about my 308 compared to my TR. (gear whine)

Enjoy your boxer and I will enjoy my TR....end of story. :)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    We are all very fortunate to own Ferraris, so we shouldn't be putting down other peoples choices of the models that they prefer to own/drive.

THEY ARE ALL GOOD!

If I had more $$ and a bigger garage I would also have a 512TR and a Dino, F40, F430, etc.. etc...

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If I sold my boxer for serious $$$$ and couldnt afford a 288 gto I could see getting a 512tr, but for the same money would probably go for a used 360.
    For me its a styling thing. One thing a tr compared to the newer cars is a real mans ferrari. Ultimatly though the tr was a styling dead end, an americanised boxer. Hey I love two tone tbirds but most older ferraris are art too, I guess the TR would be avant garde art.

Potentialy in enough years time like 50 it will be worth more than a boxer because it is so evocative of an era, wheras a boxer is just sublime and timeless.

Another thing from this thread TR's can and are comfortably used as drivers, this is not really true of a boxer.

Just having a bit of fun though, its not all so serious we are all lucky to be able to enjoy these beasts, and when boxers get really expensive tr's will be an entusiasts choice.

By the way I think a euro 308gt4 is just awesome, it has a bit of stratos to it, its origoinal and drives best of the 308's too bad the us spec bumpers give it such a mutt look. Anybody got a nice clean euro one I am a buyer.

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The Huseein 365BB sold for $165k over 2 years ago before Boxers became more desribale and collectable as today, that car would sell for over $200k today at auction easily.Canepa has a 512BB for $175k as well no special history.

Boxers approached $450k in the late 80s many older collectable model Ferraris have surpassed their high 80s pricing already Boxers are next in line.

Just because you have a bias against Boxers since they are worth so much more than TRs which you feel is such a better car you can't see whats already happening with them price wise.

9. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    TR's were selling for 300+ in the 80's , whats your point, we are not in the 80's anymore. Again , I have no bias against boxers, just owners who are misinformed.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

11. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    This thread is turning into a rather unpleasant arguement over a point which cannot be won because it is based on a subjective view. I would hate to think that Boxer owners would ever be percieved as feeling superior to TR owners or vice versa. I prefer the Boxer, it was the dream car when I was a kid, I have driven a Testarossa recently for the first time and its a brilliant car, I liked it a lot. Others like it more than the Boxer and thats fair enough. This is a forum for F car enthusiasts and its one of the friendliest forums I have the pleasure of being involved in. lets keep it that way.
    Steve

12. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I have read many articles which say that the FI is a retrograde step. To be honest I cant tell you as I have very little driving time in my carb BB, I dont intend to register it here in Ireland for another year as it is then tax exempt. The BBi was going to cost me 15k to register. Also it is way overdue a belt change so i will get that done in the next few months. After that I will be more qualified to give you an opinion.
    Steve

On the subject of values, GT4s are appreciating very rapidly here, values of clean cars have shot up by 30 to 50% over the last year, if you want one its getting more difficult to find a good one.
    Boxer values are also rising, after a few years of firming up in value, there is quite a marked increase in actual selling prices, the dealer who sourced both my cars has told me he has had two buyers for my BB in the last month. This has also been noticed by the motoring press here, the latest Classic Carshighlights the BB as the model that is the best investment.

13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just for the Record, My car ran in Autoweek for 3 weeks, It sold the first weekend, which was the third day the mag was out.Since then I have recieved over 30 inquiries, just leaving messages on my cell....from all over.And am still recieving more this past weekend...

I would imagine that right now a no issues car would sell at $175,000.00.

Now is the time to take out a home equity loan on your car, fix it up to top cond. and sell in the spring for $200,000.-$250,000.

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    according to FML 512TR have increased more than 512BBi in the last 2 years

The F40 has gone up 16% in 2 years

The real story is with 275 GTB which has increased nearly 50% in 2 years, Nice

550 Barchetta have dropped around 10%, Wouldn't mind getting 1 for low $100k :)

15. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    TRs were never $300k sorry and the highest prices they wil have is when they were brand new we are talking a collectable older cars aprreciating.

We are misinformed that Boxers are going to be $200k+? right of course BB owners are absolute fools paying much more for for a Boxer than a TR, looks to me the market speaks for itself.on which is more desireable.

16. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

17. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    this thread has about 1 page of useful info and 8 pages of bickering...

18. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Once again misinformation on your part combined with a severe reading and comprehension problem.
    1) the only boxer I was referring to is the rat one you were describing
    2) yes TR's were selling for 300+ in the 80's, unfortunately you have short term memory
    3) frankly I am not sure what you are talking about anymore, nor do I really care.

19. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay

20. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    ....stemming from some rather ignorant comments made by a few boxer owning snobs toward the Testarossa, and their owners.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And you are the source of the problem, go away ******, now Im being hostile, lol.

22. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This whole Boxer vs. Teata thingSounds like a Yankee/ Met game!

This is the Subway series of F car owners!

8 more innings 2 go!

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i'm quietly rooting you on! oooppps! did i say that?

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I am the current owner of a BB512i have haved owned a TR that I drove ~50k miles...the TR is definitely faster, more comfortable and more driver friendy than the Boxer...however, the Boxer has a stronger tie to Ferrari's racing history as a hand man exotic that is adapted for street use and has more of a visceral feel about it...it requires you to drive it properly or else it will spit you off the road. So, between the Boxer and TR; if I wanted a Ferrari to drive 15k miles a year, I would go with a TR...if I wanted a classic Ferrari with a flat-12 as a weekend warrior that may just appreciate in the future, the Boxer wins hands down IMHO...

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did you see the thread from Sweden on the carb car? 8000km and he wants to know what to check before driving it!