NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP | Page 3 | FerrariChat

NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hey, like I said before, I like the boxer, but it is an absolute fool that would put down the TR in favor of the boxer. One is certainly not better that the other, in build quality, investment or fun to drive. Boxers are on the slow creep upward and TR's are waiting for their turn. Both cars have equal amounts of positives and negatives, if you dont see that you are blind. As an obvious TR owner I love the 80's excess of the design and I think the boxer looks like a 308 variant, but hey its an opinion. Opinions are fine, it just seems to me that Sarti set out on a TR bashing mission to try and prove his opinion, not fact, about the TR. Everyone should enjoy what their own personal tastes are, however putting down the TR in favor of the boxer is just ignorance. They are both great cars built by a great company, and we each like them for our own reasons , so enough with this TR/boxer hating. Lets go after lambos or something- thats a car that is really built like s#@!

2. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    You said it, I didn't. Besides, don't you live in Canada and not the States?

IMO, the danger with grey market cars are that it depends on who did the conversion so they can be imported privately. Getting parts and finding someone to service the car can also be difficult as a result. All these can complicate and sours a otherwise wonderful ownership experience of owning a Ferrari. If anyone assumes that just by getting a European version of any car will automatically translates to a faster car, he/she may be well misinformed. Yes, one may argue that these cars can now be de-regulated however, that also depends on who is doing the de-regulation. Bottome line is, if you are happy, more power to you, but there is no need to slam other's cars in front of their faces. You don't like the Testarossa, that's cool too as it is your opinion.

Also, we all know that the series started life as a 456, IIRC, part of the reasons for going to 5.0 and FI is to comply with the EPA and more strict emission laws elsewhere. More restrictions = less power, goto 5.0 and FI to compansate. The BBi are not necessarily faster than the 456.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since Euro is short for European and all Ferraris are made in Europe, that would make them all Euro cars...although they are all speced out differently depending on which country they are being exported to...

4. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    So, are you saying that we are all screwed one way or another? Dame the EPA. Let all of us go to test pipes at once as a way of protest and torch those cars that belongs to the anti-test pipe people.

5. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    ...and what's wrong with a Mondial front end? :)

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Boxer owners are snobs. They feel the need to put down other Ferraris as in reality, they really wanted to own a Daytona but couldn't. :)

7. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Welllllll, that's not go that far. I own both a BBi and a Mondial. I guess that evens out to a 355, maybe.

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

a Daytona is a totally different car than a Boxer in everyway never been on my list of wants.

No one is putting down the TR saying its a piece of ***** just the reasons why they will never appreciate much, the same goes for the 3xx series Ferraris as well.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    you're an idiot and just proved it.

10. 90TR

90TR Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2005
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This really is just a matter of taste. The Boxer will always have a bigger following from the F-Car initiated, but fortunately for us TR owners, we regular folks outnumber them significantly. And since when is 7,177 a lot of cars? (# pulled from an earlier post).

Looks? As a non-hardcore Ferrari person I think the Boxer, especially in person, looks like a Kit Car. I am not saying this to be an ass, but the wheel gaps are a visual flaw that captures my attention in a very bad way. Panel fit? The two I have seen have been less then stellar. They just look like someone put them together. That may be a positive for the true enthusiast, but the regular Joe who has grown up in the Honda world; that is just not going to cut it.

Also, I read with an insider’s smile and a wink an earlier post stating that the average person can still ‘restore’ a muscle car. If the word ‘restore’ is being used to ID a #2 car or better- good luck. We would drop between 800 and 1000 hours into restoring a 1928 Model A to this level. And they are about as complicated as a go-cart. Heck, I just started work on my 1970 Dodge Challenger convertible. This is what I would consider a parts car under normal circumstances and I had to pay 5 grand to get it; for a parts car! I will have to spend between 1500 – 2000 hours on this, about 40K in parts, paint and a create Hemi- and under today’s crazy market it would be worth more than my TR or your Boxer…..as a Clone. What a joke! My TR will still get more looks on the street and be faster in 95% of real world applications. But that is the ‘memory-lane’ craze.

We also shouldn’t minimize the significance of that Miami Vice advertising. Not to mention that the TR looks like a Ferrari, even 20 years later. I have never seen anyone just walk by my car without a second look. The outrageous looks are what make a car an icon and the TR and Countach are the masters. Now that the backlash on the ‘excess’ of the 80’s is over- I feel pretty good about getting my money back. Not that I ever intend to find out.

And for my first 9 months of ownership, I cannot agree that the TR is expensive to own. So far I have had to pull an intake to replace a water hose that should have been done during the last major- shame on you Penske; a fuse box clip and brakes all around. The hose I got from autozone for $5.99, the clip was $14 dollars from the dealer and the brakes were less than those for my 93 mustang cobra. I have put almost 4K miles on her and she runs great. I plan on dropping the engine after I finish the Challenger not because I expect it will need it- but because the lack of engine detail bothers me. Again, shame on you Penske for not spending a few hours to detail this. As for the folks that put a thousand miles a year on your cars; shame on you. That is not good for your car or for your soul. These cars are made to be driven, not collected. Grab the keys and go have some fun. Enzo would not understand you letting his masterpiece sit in a garage while you hop in an SUV.

I am now going to pick-up a computer from a salesperson leaving our company. I am going to do so in my TR. I love this car!

11. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Wow, such wit. Glad to see that you finally found somebody to proof read that for you.

IYO, I may be an idiot, but at least I am not a stuck up, self-admitting moronic Boxer owner like you. *L*

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #62 msdesignltd, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

13. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i think for old school ferrari enthusiasts the 308 will never measure up to their vision of a ferrari. but to many others, including me (it's my favorite car), the 308 is a styling icon--and at least for me, as of yet unsurpassed. at some point, nice 308s will be rare and their prices will rise. i doubt they will be 100K cars, of course one never knows, but ~50K or so does not seem unreasonable.

john

14. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    IMO, 308/328 series will forever have a special place in the Ferrari patheon as well as the Ferrari enthuists that grew up in the 70-80's. I too agree that the design is classic and feels that it is something that none of the newer V8 based Ferrari can compare with, at least not as of yet. Being in the popular Magnum PI show didn't hurt either.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I cant begin to express the pleasure it brings me knowing how irritated you are over this thread, please, continue. :)

16. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    the next jump in prices will happen about the same time the country stops spending billions of dollars on the "war"...

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    We should separate the discussion of prices from the discussion of the merits of each car.

The first Ferrari I ever drove, or sat in, was a TR which belonged to my brother. It was neat, although it wasn't until I had a chance to drive it on the highway that I understood how much fun it could be-- all of my previous drives had been in the city, not a good environment for the TR.

When I test drove my BB, my brother came with me. He commented on all of the improvements in the TR over the BB (rear mounted radiators, actual trunk space, more performance, etc. etc.) and I have no doubt that he is right, the TR is a better car than the BB.

That said, I don't think I'll be trading my BB for a TR anytime soon!

As for prices, who knows, usually it's all a matter of time.

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

who buys a boxer cause they cannot afford a daytona?

actually, when i bought my boxer iwas in a financial position to buy a daytona if i had wanted...still am actually.

just wanted to get the boxer first.

19. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Most Boxer onwers here have multiple Ferraris and other makes such as Porsche, I am sure if we wanted to downsize the number of cars we could easily have an F40 let alone a Daytona if we wanted, thats just from downsizing the number of cars not adding capital to a car collection which is easy as well. Dumb statement concerning not being able to afford a Daytona.

I drove 2 TRs before I purchased my Boxer thinking they would be more of a big brother to a 328 but they are not totally different cars, way to heavy and wide I was dissappointed actually which started my quest for a BB.
    The Boxer is more of a big brother to the 308/328 concerning the driving experience but with more power.

20. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    *L* Speaking of irritations, if you are really bothering me, I can always just put you on the ignor list, unlike that rash of yours, which is an entirely different story. Hope you find the cure for that real soon.

Newman, just laugh it off. There is no reason to be so hostile, dude.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The rash is a common problem among us snobbish boxer owners, maybe a daytona is the cure. Were you the result of a broken condom?

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not my case at all. I have owned 6 Ferraris and counting over the last 17 years and could easily afford a Daytona...even a factory Spider if I wanted to. But, while I understand they are iconic cars and all that, I have never had a hankering for one...maybe one day I will, just not now. And, I do have other cars in my arsenal including my e60 M5 daily driver. However, I have started thinking about getting a C4 again...I kinda want something I can drive on the weekends and take my three children along which is impossible with the Boxer...

23. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    can't we all just get along? :)

24. testosterone.512

Sep 23, 2005
    As a testa owner in the uk who is currently trying to sell this thread makes interesting reading.
    Testas in any shape or form are just not shifting over here at the moment.
    Testas are advertised for $47-66k,512tr-$76-95,m-$104-112
    Obviously a downward adjustment is going to be necessary.
    It seems there is no middle ground-you either love them or loathe them.
    Most of the owners over here are over 35s who have bought for nostalgic reasons ie poster on the wall as a kid.Negative comments are normally too 80's look.
    Funny thing is that my testa has always attracted more attension than the 355 berlinetta and spyder i have also owned.Living in London means i am constantly snapped by tourists who all know the iconic shape.In one instance a group of italian tourists at a bus stop all stood up and applauded when i got stuck in some traffic next to them!

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I like the TR's and the first 12 I drove was Bruce wellingtons 88.5 yellow TR. it left an impression to say the least, I even got a finger from some porsche driver that I passed (in a normal safe fashion) for what ever reason. It was a blast. Ill own a TR one day but doubt the styling will have the same effect on me as my boxer does. One thing is for sure, I wouldnt be afraid to park it at work whereas the boxer Im paranoid of.