NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NEXT$$$$$$$JUMP

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    The ferrari testarossa was an engineering and design "slap in the face." You noticed it, whether you wanted to or not. You knew what it was from 1000 feet away. It SCREAMED ferrari.

No one ever confued it for a camaro, or a buick, or even a toyota. When you saw it, you knew you were in the presense of greatness.

I remember reading articles about how the car stopped traffic. On article in particular, mentioned a testarossa that pulled up to a 4 way stop, and sat there. None of the 3 other cars moved. They just waited...and sat...and waited.

I would love to hear some stories from owners that had this car in the 80's. It must have been wild...

You would get the same treatment now-a-days in an ENZO, but not the other new ferraris. I have seen 550's, 355's, 456, etc, totally ignored. Folks don't even look twice, whether parked or on the road. I am sure that the cars are fantastic, but they don't make cars as wild as they did in the 1980's.

The countach and the testrossa are seared into the memories of every testosterone laden teen from the 1980's. When folks start hitting that point when they are half way to death, and realize it, they will gratefully exchange their money for a flashback to what "might have been," had they been millionaires in the 1980's.

Seems like every car show has a 1950's vette, with a food tray on the window, LP's in the back seat, and 2 little childrens dolls leaning against the bumper playing hide-and-seek.

10 years drom now, we will see testarossa's at car shows, blaring 80's music, with their owners walking aroung in pastel sports coats and ray-bans. Perhaps, with a pink flamingo in the back seat and leather boat shoes...

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    IMHO, that along with the high production numbers is part of the reason that the TR series will not appreciate as much as the Ferraris of days gone by. In the old hand made days Ferraris were bought mostly by the very rich who wanted an exotic Italian sports car but not one that screamed look at me...that gold chain attitude was a tacky trend of the 80s when a lot of young folks got rich quick and wanted to flaunt it. Unlike the current classic and muscle car craze where a blue collar guy can buy and restore a 60s era Camaro... that will never happen with a TR series car as they will always be expensive to own, even more so in the future as parts get harder to find...so 20 years from now you will have to be even richer to own one and those future rich folks aren't likely to want a car that screams look at me even though they could easily afford to own it. I could be wrong on this, but I doubt it. Now in 100 years or so the TRs that are then left will likely be very valuable... good news for your greta grandchildren if you can kept it in the family that long. As Mike Sheehan said in a recent article, you don't spend $10k on a nice Caribbean vacation and then expect to get your money back or make a profit...so don't buy a Ferrari with that expectation either...just drive it and consider the money spent on the purchase, maintenance and repairs the same as that vacation money spend...for the fun you get out of it.

3. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Believe it or not, 308GT4s are seeing a nice jump in prices lately (asking, that is. I have no idea where true selling prices are). If you could find an all-original, (true) low-mileage, Series 1 GT4 - it probably wouldn't be a losing proposition in the short or long term.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    And they are really the best of the 308 series...even though the Bertone looks don't appeal to everyone.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Too many Testarossas were built

Some cars are waaaaay overdue on their neglected expensive maintainance.

The 7 owner, no documented maintainance records, resprayed, hi mile, and maintainance issue 42K dogs are pulling down the other excellent cars.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo

On the bright side. If out of 500 million people (US population), only 9000 successful people want one in 10 years, the price should go up :).

Lets think about this. Look how fondly we are talking about Boxers. Yet, were these highly desirable cars in the 70's? I don't know, I was too young. But I don't recall an 8 year TV show run in which they were prominently featured. That kind of advertising pays off decades later.

Many argue that testarossa's weren't hand made. So what. They are still rare.

Today's teens, 30 years from now, will sell their souls to get a Skyline. A cheap, though cool, japanese car.

It doesn't matter if it was machine made, with a cheap fabric interior, and bland styling. Thats what gets their juices going.

Put a testarossa in a room with a Boxer. Ask a bunch of 20-30 somethings to pick one. Which do you think they will want?

Ask a bunch of 40-50 year old? Bet they will choose a different car.

Fact of the matter is EVERY ferrari eventually goes up in value. Even the ugly ones... The testarossa was/is hot, and will do well.

7. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    I really don't understand the "too many Testarossas" argument. A total of 7,177 were made over an eight year production run. The most that were ever made in one year was 1,308 in 1990.

For comparison, Chevrolet made 10,594 split window Corvette coupes in 1963

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    i was comparing the BB concerning how it was hand made the exact same way as a GTO, 250 series or any other V12 Ferrari before it, the TR was mass produced with stamped panels.

The BB was made before the 308, the 308 took design cues from the BB, side by side they don't look similar at all other than the BB tail light arrangement, the TR on the other hand was one of the designs Luca said he regretted making as its overdone with the side strakes and lights while the BB is viewed as one of the greatest Ferrari mid engine designs ever, even new models take design cues from it.

TRs have a way to fall even further in values IMO, especially with other choices for a bit more such as a 355 that offer better performance and handleing and a cleaner design, I certainly wouldn't buy one to speculate with as even if it sits they are going to have big repair bills such as all the electronic gadgets that are going to fail over time which is why Boxers are much cheaper to maintain.

9. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Then my Mondi t cab must be REAAAAALLLLY ugly 'cause she ain't gone up in value. Yet. But I do love her so. And the BBi. Different cars, different purposes.

Here's my take:
    Find a Ferrari that you like, do the right homework on her, and if your budget permits, buy her and enjoy.

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    One of the main motivation that lead to the creation of the newest one-off Ferrari P5 by Pinnifarina was because Ferrari/Pinnifarina was being criticized, as having lost "the touch" with their recent newer releases. As beautiful as that design is, if you actually think about it, it is just a retro-design of the P3/P4. The Testarossa on the other hand, is completely original from the styling and functioning POV. Not only to the rest of the world, but within the Ferrari/Pinnifarina family.

In one the Rosso issues, as the 550 Pinnifarina was released to the public, Sergio Pinnifarina himself was asked to select 10 of his favorite designs and he picked the Testarossa as one of them. IMO, that means a lot more than what Luca thinks as to me, Sergio is an artist and as good as Luca is, he is still a businessman at heart.

Bottom line is that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The 456/512BB series did indeed come before the 308/328, thus its design was also very original. However, here in the States, the lack of public exposure hurts it. Most of the people that are not hardcore Ferrari fans will often mistaken it as a 308, the Magnum PI car.

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Shut up! I am still looking for one! :p

12. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

hello,

in this weeks autoweek classified, sport auto (lamborghini dealership in NC) has a red/tan '88 TR with 12K mi. for $59K asking price. '88 328's are changing hands for that same price. m.s.r.p of a TR in '88? $144,900.00 m.s.r.p. of a 328 in 88? $83,000.

don't get me wrong i love the testarossa (especially '86-'91) but the market sets the price.

but what do i know, i drive a porsche

joe

13. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

I totally disagree, never have I had someone comment my BB was a 308, closest I had was when I pulled in to a restaurant someone came out and said that the BB surely wasn't a 308 from the sound of the motor. I have even had a young women comment nice Boxer which suprised me she would know the car.

I used to get the Magnum comments every once in a while in my 328 which doesn't look that similar to a 308 IMO never have I had the comment made about the BB while driving it

14. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hey whats with the TR hating coming from you. You have a boxer- big deal- and the 355 is no prize with its myriad of issues including known top end problems. The TR has a solid motor that will last with the proper care, not sure if I could say the same for the 355. Its nice that you like your boxer so much , however you are a bit off in your negativity towards the TR. Use your big ego when you own a $400k Ferrari not a $75k one. Just remember the TR is a perfected boxer, and hand beaten or stamped out body panels really dont make a difference, its not a 250 California, and yes I have seen the boxer mistaken for a 308, arguing that they dont look similar is not accepting the truth they practically have the same nose. Love it or hate it, the TR still looks like nothing else on the road today, the boxer is another 80's wedge design. Maintenance on the boxer is lower- are you kidding. They have a weak rear differential (20k liability), and the carbs are no prize either, not to mention their cooling issues. The last show I was at had 2 perfect boxers, 1 was overheating when leaving and one wouldn't even start. Funny I got in the TR - started right up and temp was nice and cool, and drove home 100+miles

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't think the TR is going to reach silly money anytime soon, but I would bet a lot of cash that they will be worth more in 5 years than they are today.

16. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Did I say I hate the TR?

I am just pointing out the simple facts and reality of the slim chance it will ever be a collector Ferrari with a significant appreciation.

Just responding to your post about mine full of BS comments concerning the Boxer, here's news for you the TRs have the same weak diff as the Boxers but break more due to the extra added weight of the car and sticky tires, and sorry all the electronic gadgets in TRs fail over time and are expensive to replace vs the Boxers which don't have all the extra components, other than that they are similar cars mechanically.

Well just let the market place decide on the desireability of the Boxers vs TRs in the future and now.

17. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I know very well about the same weak diff issue in the TR, however I am not the one who claimed that a boxer was mechanically superior. No truth in the added weight statement , then again not much truth in anything you have said. "Simple facts" you do not have , just a simpletons opinion. Time will, without a doubt prove you wrong. If you knew as much about cars,as you think you do, you would know that car values go in cycles. A TR is at rock bottom now and is waiting to shoot up. Not to long ago, boxers were in the same boat. Electronic gadgets? what are you taking about the power windows or the radio or what-what gadgets? Once again no facts here.

18. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    TR have issues with multiple ECUs which Boxers do not have, TRs have many electronic gadgets such as multiple istrument idiot lights/led clocks, glove box solenoids, power seat belts and many other items which cause the fuse box to melt and fail, TRs have dual coils and 2 dist caps vs the Boxer has 1, TRs have engine control sensors that can fail which Boxers do not have. Thats just the basics why TRs are more expensive to maintain.
    TRs are cheap now for a reason almost the same as a nice low mile 328 for a similar condition car due to the fact of their very high maintenance and running costs.

19. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hell...I even get Magnum comments about my GT4, and IMO, those two cars look nothing alike.

20. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.

*LOL* The same cases can be made between the TR and any of the more recent Ferraris to date. Part of the reason that the Boxers have none of these issues is that it is one ass-backward car that is completely outdated. As for the lack of the many electronic components, that's is because the car never had to deal with or try to pass the DMV/US emissions regulations as it was never intended to be used here in the States. THERE ARE NO US LEGAL BOXERS AS THEY ARE ALL GRAY-AFTERMARKET CONVERSIONS!!!!!!!! The Testarossa on the other hand, is completely legal and legit. :p :p :p

Seriously tho, there is no need to bash the other model. It is great that you love your Boxer so much, and rightful so. If not, there be no reason to own one. Dame the market, enjoy your car for as long as you can. I for one could careless how much the Testarossa appreciates in the near future as I have no intention of selling it at any price.

21. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Formula Junior

May 26, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard H

Thanks for saying what many others were thinking ................................

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    When I recently mentioned to Hugh Steward at FoA that I had seen a TR sell at auction for $39k, his response was "...how many do you want for thyat price...?

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im not one of them........

JayF, With regards to the hand made panels it does create a certian attraction for me, an apreciation for what was involved in making such a masterpiece and that it was the end of an era in the way cars were built, particularly ferraris. To me that adds desireability and along with that up goes the price. Still cant figure out the a s s-backwards comment, I restore cars as well yourself and its my trade too so I feel im qualified to say that the car is far from a turd like you suggest. A TR is heavier than a boxer and the boxer's wedge shape is a sign of the times but it still looks fresh today. The TR is eighties to me all the way and Miami vice is to thank for that as well as the outrageous styling. The only angle I like of a TR is the rear - straight on. The rest of the car lacks harmony and has a mondial front end. The flower boxes under the dash dont do much for me either. The boxer looks great from any angle. Grey market means better to me, the purest form of the design without compromise to make it meet our silly standards. If I got a TR I would want a crappy grey market one even though its such a big strike against it, lol. It would have less clutter in the engine bay, have nicer bumpers and go faster. Gee, why would anyone want a euro car? We must all be morons.

24. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks for taking the torch with this one.

25. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hell, I still get that reaction from time to time in my 86TR!