250 GTE/GTO | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250 GTE/GTO

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by TexasMike, Jun 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Thanks! What color is your 330?

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #52 ArtS, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike,

Mine is sera blue but it's a bit faded. It still has much of it's original paint. Tom S. and I joke that drive the perfect conversion candidate - mechanically rebuilt/restored, cosmetically original - just scrap the body and you're well on the way! The beauty of having it be original is that originality has value yet, i'm not scared of driving it.

Below are some old pictures that give you a sense of the color in a couple of different lighting situations.

Regards,

Art S.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Story is in Classic & Sportscar April 95. The car is based a shortened 400i s/n 37647 and was conceived as a '65 GTO'. Probably designed by Chris Hampson (the then owner) and Chris Major, with the chassis frame work by Brian Wingfield (DRL Engineering) and the body by GP Metalcraft.
    Regards
    Jurgen

4. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #54 Boudewijn, Jun 30, 2006
  5. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #55 Boudewijn, Jun 30, 2006
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's because the Enzo is ugly and Jim is doing everyone a favor. :)

But seriously, the Enzo is ugly. I saw it in pictures for years before seeing one in person (the Pope 400 one). The saying that it will look better in person than it does in pictures does not apply to the Enzo imo. The car has many panels that are planar, which cameras are very good at reproducing. It looked in person exactly the same way as in pictures--terrible. :) Just imo.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My opinion is that I like that 911 better that the "GTO." And my other opinon is that Moorespeed is a great shop. If I lived in Texas he'd be servicing my 330GTC and my 914/6.

Jack

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for those pictures. They look like they might have been taken at Goodwood Revival.

Jack

9. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    It's actually a 911TR.

10. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Jack indeed I took them at the Goodwood Revival in 2004.

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Peter Kitchak's?

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Boudewijn, I was there, too. We should organize an FChat meet-up at this year's Revival. I'd love to hoist a pint or two with fellow FChatters!

Jack

13. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I didn't ask, but most likely it is. How do you know David and Moorespeed? Are you from the area or the racing scene?

14. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    The Ferrari world has enough 250 GTE's, 330 GT 2+2s, 440i's and the like to sacrifice the occassional one for the sake of creativity. The Custom Bodied cars are often the cars that people remember and they represent some new thinking on the parts of designers. I love Bamfords 400 and the "GTO SPYDER" has a place as one mans (wet !) dream. Are you willing to criticize all the special bodies like the Superfasts and Super Americas or the Zagato bodies on the Tdf coupes just because they were a different view on the same chassis.
    I for one hate the look of the new 599GTB and would love to see what another modern designer can do with this platform. Do you ever notice how few of the most beautiful Ferraris the Lussos,275GTBs, Daytonas etc have been rebodied.
    any comments on this ??

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Peter bought his 2.7RS (#996) from me (through Dick Barbour) back in 1989. I don't know David personally, but I know he and his operation have great reputations. He and I have some mutual friends, although we've never met. I live in Florida. I have relatives in north Texas (not too far from another great shop, Bob Smith's) and the next time I'm out there I'm going to try to get down to Austin to meet David.

Jack

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    srslusso,

Actually, Lussos were sacrificed as well - easier conversion to a GTO! These were usually done instead of a restoration.

Back in the day, a number of 250 SWBs and 250 GTOs were rebodied as well - Drogo is a great example. Prior to making the factory P3s and P4s, he made some neat rebodies (all of the chassis rebodied by Drogo except the breadvan have been stripped or their Drogo bodies and are now wearing reproductions of their original bodies).

Daytonas are generally of a too modern design to make '50s or '60s replicas out of. Few cars with transaxeles have been converted into this type of replica. However, in period, there were a number of examples rebodied into unique designs - Daytona station wagon anyone :) ?

I personally am not too opposed to rebodies done to an original design. My opposition lies in destroying a vintage car to create a fake/replica.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If you fill out your profile, we can address you by name.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great shot. I have a simialar one of P 4/5. The smoke stays attached a bit better and the CX is somewhat lower as well...

18. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    I personally love the idea of somebody taking a real Ferrari and rebodying it into something they always wanted to see. Just like Jim's P4/5 or the 575 GTZ. Making a recreation of a real GTO is acceptable too, but everybody knows it's not an original. Because we were all deprived of a real 250 GTO Spyder by the factory, anybody who wants an open-top GTO would have to either cut the top off a genuine GTO or have somebody create one. The workmanship on this particular car, if it is indeed the ex-Frank Beard example, is top-notch. Because the craftsman doesn't work for Pininfarina, Zagato, or the like, he will never get credit for creating the masterpiece he has. And I'd also much rather have Ferrari mechanicals underneath my Ferrari recreation, rather than using a Chevy donor for instance. I tend to think of this car as one person's dream fulfilled. He had a 250 GTE that he grew tired of and decided to have something commissioned that would honor one of his favorite vehicles from history.

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like it. I don't see why every Ferrari has to remain stock to be appreciated. It is like an Italian hot rod. The motor is Ferrari, the coachwork is custom, and very well finished. If I was at a car show where this car was I would probably be able to talk to the owner and enjoy the conversation while all the purists laugh at me for asking questions. Oh well, too bad people have such closed minds on this subject. It is a beautiful car that looks very well made.
    BT

20. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    IMHO
    vintage cars shouldn't be over restored

a little bit of patina makes them look better

21. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    You should ASK the next time you visit my shop especially when posting in a public forum inviting bashing of one of my customers toys.

I dare say the folks that don't like this car don't even own a real Ferrari which in this case this car IS a real Ferrari with a hand formed Aluminum body as the originals were done. Its NOT a fiberglass kit, but a car painstakingly cloned if only they had built a spyder. It's not rotting away or crushed in a yard and frankly every single Ferrari owner that has entered into our facility has loved it regardless if Enzo built exactly this way or not. Many a Ferrari were rebodied by the factory so what gives losing a GTE...it's not lost it just has a new dress on. Its not a hacked piece either, its nicely done and true to the spirit that Enzo would be proud.

d

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    GTE is a wonderfull car, something a fake GTO spyder can never be. Best wishes, Kare

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The job done to recreate a GTO is not very well done. The concept of making a one off doesnt bother me that much when its well done though.

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm just amazed, he didn't know who Frank Beard was........

*a haw haw haw*

*drum intro into La Grange*

Two of these cars were made, IIRC.....this is the only one in Texas???

Always good to ask about photos, no matter how "busy" the shop owner is....;)

As far as vintage racing this cruiser, that'd be little tough without a roll bar!

25. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    No it is not PKs. Another racing client.