Slow Window Solution GADGET TESTED OK | FerrariChat

Slow Window Solution GADGET TESTED OK

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by silverfox, Aug 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    Since this guy has claimed to repair peoples' car windows on this forum, I would like to know if anyone here can vouch for him...
    www.ferrariwindow.com
    I know he states it is cool, blah blah. I am impressed by the video and idea, (being an electrician/electronic tech.) so before I buy, I need to know if people are happy with it and how long it has been installed. If some people seem to think that it could damage other components only time will tell. So tell me if you are happy with it, easy to install, and installed date....
    Thanks for saving us money, or filling this guys pockets more!
    Rob

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Do a search on "bric-a-brac-jack!" and see for yourself. His product has received rave reviews. I need to order a set for my car.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hate adding ANY weight to the car, but these things rock! Like Birdman fuses blocks, they are a must-buy IMHO.

4. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    Like I said, I read it all, but nothing tells better than other peoples honesty. When someone does there own web site, I wonder if they stick the reviews in themselves just to look good.

5. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    How long has it been installed?

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    will these work on a carb 308, my window guts are a mess right now!

7. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    The Carb has nothing to do with the electric windows. It should work on ANY car if it works at all.
    Maybe I'll buy one for my wifes toys ;-) hehe

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

They work great in the 348!!

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  10. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    how long have they been installed?

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

About 45 days.

d

12. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Has anyone installed these on a 308 (carbed or FI)? If so do they work?

13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm thinking about doing it for my 77 carb 308. I've installed new motors, but the windows are still rather slow.. I've got Birdman's fuse boxes too, should help current a bit..

Anybody out there in F-Chat land done this mod?

Greg

14. hetek

hetek Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    LI, NY
    I think these will even work on the infamous Mondial Cabriolet rear quarter windows. I may buy a set for myself when I feel motivated to pull apart the access panels again. One problem for the Mondial application may be either weatherproofing or finding a dry location to mount them. Also, the quarter window compartment is VERY tight too.

"Fast car, slow windows". Says it all, Brick-a-Brack Jack!

15. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    In my opinion the best way to fix is to use 2 bridged relays.

16. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    Explain your theory.

17. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    a month

18. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Does Ricambi carry these yet? Or is there someplace US based that is selling them?

Thanks!

-John

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    They are designed to work around the inherent electrical wiring design difficulties present in the 348. They work very well making the up or down time about 5 seconds in most applications. The difficulty (I have read) with most 308 or 328 windows is grease getting hard on the cables / tracks which is a mechanical problem, not an electrical one. The 348 does not use the cable / pulley system for the windows. I think someone was going to install the gadget on a 308 but I don't remember reading the results. I am sure it would not hurt the performance of the windows, just not sure it will address the problem you are having in the 308.
    :)
    BT

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Steve (enjoythemusic) has a 308, and he just posted that he has had them installed for about a month, and he said he was happy with the way they work. Correct me if I'm wrong, Steve. I want to check them out when we are up at the Glen in two weeks.

21. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes, have them in the 308 here. The previous owner did many tweaks to the car here for reliability and he redid the window wire stuff and cleaned it all from what i could tell when inspecting it all years ago. The cables and all are fine, window switches are brand new, wires all clean, yadda yadda... The windows STILL were a bit slow and that last inch or so was like watching grass grow.

Installed these doohickeys from the UK and WEEEEEEEEE... the windows work great. Look forward to seeing you at the Glen in early Sept and will gladly show you how well the windows work :)

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Some 'rave' reviews.....;)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106031

Do yourself a favour and get 2 of these kits. They are fantastic. Look at some of the before and after times for the windows that have been posted. These helped speed up my windows in my 348, especially my passenger window which never used to make it up by-itself. :)

23. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The designer who's selling them lives just down the road from me, in the next county. I've bought a pair but haven't installed them, I'm doing the engine out at the moment for cambelt/tensioners etc.

When I've fitted the black boxes to my 91 Euro 348TS, should be about 3 weeks, I'll report back.

BTW I'm a sceptic, but you sound like you've had some real bad life experiences!

24. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian

let's just say I've been been over the barrel a few times and am tired of giving my cash, that I've worked hard for, to other people for crap inventions. If this thing is so great, and it may be, then why doesn't it have a patent and bought by ferrari for these problems? I just like letting others spend their hard earned cash first for a change!! hahah ;-)

25. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen. Worse still is what the F factory charges for basically off-the-shelf parts at times.

His black box is basically a few relays. Filing a patent is $$$ and takes time would be my guess why no patent. Of course if it was patented, expect the cost to do such things to add to the cost of his black boxes. Like you, i was a skeptic but when others here tried it and it worked out for them i dove in.

If the thing was crap i'd say so, trust me. Am not one to hold back.