Hungary Race **spoiler** | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Hungary Race **spoiler**

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Aug 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    So was Renault using the Mass damper today?? Alonso was flying at the beginning. Isn't this the 2nd time he lapped MS on the same track???

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The official reports are a broken steering column from the contact with Heidfeld. However I agree with you, that steering either works or doesn't. And he managed to drive into the pits without doing any acrobatics, so it appeared to be ok.

But why would he throw in the towel? Doesn't make any sense. Rather risk some penalty than to give up sure points. Unless: Was he under some sort of probation based on his red flag passing? In that case it might have made sense to avoid a penalty affecting his next race (like a one race ban).

3. paulyb

paulyb Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    paul bellis
    Just heard that Kubica has been declared underweight - could face disqualification: that would bring MS into 8th and a point

4. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    ^that was Monaco. That race is over. In the past. Etc. :)

It looks to me like Schumacher got pushed off the chicane both times by PDR. Just because PDR is going faster doesn't mean that MS has to let him by; racing is racing. Catching someone and passing someone are two veerrrry different things!

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    According to autosport.com he's indeed disqualified. What a strange race with ups and downs. It takes nothing away from Button's maiden win because I believe he had the pace to challenge Raikkonen etc.

I really don't understand why Ferrari let Michael stay out on those tires. He said it was an all or nothing attempt but with Alonso out he shouldn't have gambled so much.

Best, Peter

6. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    it is confirmed that Kubica is disqualified thus giving Schumi a valuable point! Alonso is now 10 pts. away!

in hindsight, many of us are questioning why Michael was so stubborn. but in his words, "The track rod broke as Heidfeld went past. We touched, partly because the track was still a bit slippery. These things happen. Did we take a risk staying out on track with intermediate tyres and in the fight with my rivals? That's the way I am. I always want to fight for the top which is why I have won so often. There are still five races to go. Nothing is yet lost and I will give it my all in trying to win the title."

this has usually gone Michael's way in the past, which for many reasons we love him! it didn't go his way today, which should be no reason that we throw him to the wolves!

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

And it indeed is deemed as gaining an unfair advantage.........had MS finished he would have been hauled in front of the stewards and more than likely would have lost the point he's ended up getting

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I thought the car has to be running at the finish to get points... Is this wrong?

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I know that only cars that finish in the points are weighed so I'm not sure if MS's car was ever weighed. What you say makes sense if this rule I said is true because the mechanics could just add weight in the garage before weigh-in.

10. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    thats has to have been one of the most wild races i have ever seen. it was sad to see MS retire thought...

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    here the report on Kubica at 18:28 GMT

Robert Kubica has been disqualified from the Hungarian Grand Prix after his car was found to be 2kg under the minimum weight.

The BMW Sauber driver, making his racing debut with the team this weekend, had finished in seventh position, but his F1.06 car was found to be underweight in the post-race scrutineering.

"The Stewards accept that the fact of the car being underweight was entirely inadvertent and give credit to BMW Sauber F1 Team for their assistance and cooperation in dealing with this matter," said the race stewards in a statement.

"The reason for the car being underweight was explained as being attributable to excessive and unexpected tyre wear (and therefore weight loss) arising through continued use of wet weather tyres in comparison to the accustomed and anticipated rate of wear for dry tyres.

"It is the Stewards view that the car did not comply with Article 4.1 of the 2006 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations. The Stewards decision is that the car be excluded from the results."

Kubica's disqualification means Ferrari drivers Felipe Massa and Michael Schumacher get promoted one place each, the Brazilian to seventh and the German to eighth.

Schumacher retired from the race but was still classified as ninth. With the point scored, he reduced the gap to championship rival Fernando Alonso to 10 points with five races remaining.

Revised results and standings:

Pos Driver Team
    1. Button Honda (M)
    2. de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes (M)
    3. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (M)
    4. Barrichello Honda (M)
    5. Coulthard Red Bull-Ferrari (M)
    6. R.Schumacher Toyota (B)
    7. Massa Ferrari (B)
    8. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B)
    9. Monteiro MF1-Toyota (B)
    10. Albers MF1-Toyota (B)
    11. Speed Toro Rosso-Cosworth (M)
    12. Trulli Toyota (B)
    13. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B)

World Championship standings, round 13:

Drivers: Constructors:
    1. Alonso 100 1. Renault 149
    2. M.Schumacher 90 2. Ferrari 142
    3. Massa 52 3. McLaren-Mercedes 85
    4. Raikkonen 49 4. Honda 52
    5. Fisichella 49 5. BMW-Sauber 26
    6. Button 31 6. Toyota 26
    7. Montoya 26 7. Red Bull-Ferrari 16
    8. Barrichello 21 8. Williams-Cosworth 10
    9. Heidfeld 19 9. Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1
    10. R.Schumacher 16
    11. Coulthard 14
    12. Trulli 10
    13. de la Rosa 10
    14. Villeneuve 7
    15. Webber 6
    16. Rosberg 4
    17. Klien 2
    18. Liuzzi 1

Carol

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Since Michael retired out of the points, I assume his car was never weighed. It would be interesting to know how close/over/under weight he was, since his tires looked pretty shredded when he pulled in.

13. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Just saw it again, and I am convinced about what I have already said. There was nothing wrong with the steering as was shown in the pits by the mechanics. The only thing wrong was his tires were shot.

14. zitro

zitro Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ortiz
    What a craaaazy race.

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    If you pay attention and listen to the comments Nick made he said that he and Michael touched and his retirement was most probably due to a front suspension problem which DOES CAUSE A PROBLEM WITH THE STEERING as witnessed as he was pushed in the garage. I think Steve Matchett is better qualified to make opinions too vs people on this thread!!!

carol

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow, I can't believe they're stripping RK's points because of the tires! I think the Speed TV commentators said that there aren't rules about tire wear for non-dry tires and that the grooves don't have to show. If this is the case, weigh-in of cars shouldn't include the tires for wet races, geez. Couldn't a team just run underweight the entire time and for the last stop add on heavier tires to meet the reqs? Things like fuel are removed for weigh in and so should tires! :mad:

17. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Wow I just finished watching the reply and OMG what an insane race! So many ups and downs first with Alonso looking so strong and than Fischi and ALonso's retirement and then MS falling out, and now reading about RK's car being underweight! I'm glad all the work from Schumacher at least will earn 1 point now. I was amazed at how well he was able to cope with the situation whereas Massa really seemed to struggle.

Just incredible.

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

On the SpeedTV broadcast, announcer Steve Machett stated that he could see the steering wheel being turned, but the front wheels were not responding as they should. I would trust his opinion before any of us watching TV.

Kubica was not disqualified because of tires, he was disqualified because of weight. Minimum weight is in the rule books, the tread left on the rain tires is not addressed.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    He was dq'd because of his tires. His tires wore down too much (rubber was lost), so weight was lost from the tires.

I think it's a joke that weigh-ins have fuel removed, but not tires. Both of these are added onto the car during the race and can be adjusted to change weight. Brand new tires weigh more than used tires. The gas tank weighs more on a full (like new tires) tank of gas than when it's used. It doesn't make sense to only remove fuel for weigh.

Edit: Some drivers even add weight to their car on the slow down lap by driving on the dirty line. So they could've been underweight the entire time, but then add a couple kilos at the end.

20. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    THANK YOU RON! Hey Ron, thanks for the clarification - I posted something a few posts back . . .. It seems that you and I were watching the same race!! He was 2kg under minimum weight. I think the stewards have finally turned their alarm clocks on too!!! If you are going to have rules then all must abide by them.

Boy, three weeks between races is sure going to have FChat full of rumors, stories, etc. - heck don't need to watch the tv soap operas for awhile!!!

Carol

21. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    my understanding of F1 rules is that no driver can cut through a chicane to gain a position. however, since Michael's wheel was ahead of De La Rossa entering the turn, him running thru the chicane is not considered gaining an advantage....am i wrong?

22. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    I don't know where you have been looking, but I suggest you look again.
    His steering was DEFINATELY damaged and he could not continue because of that. When Schumacher slowly came to the pits in his final lap you could clearly see the steering column was broken on the right-front side: when entering the pit lane (right hand corner) his right front wheel did not respond at all and stayed pointing right ahead. Back into the Ferrari pits you could clearly see the broken steering parts through the suspension.

23. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    So many people just LOVE to accuse Michael of some grand conspiracy every time he ends up ahead of Alonoso. :rolleyes:

I am glad he ended up with 1 point at least, and I do NOT think Alonoso will be nearly as strong on the upcoming tracks if they are dry. After all, Michael had the pole when dry, but Bridgestone was clearing not keeping up in the wet!

24. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    WOW! I must say, this was my favourite race of this season! I taped this race this morning and watching it must have taken over 2 and half hours, I kept on rewinding the tape to see all those spectacular overtaking moves at the beginning in the wet! Lots of dicing, excitement and things happening. If they were only able to bottle that excitement from this one race. This race has raised the average excitement of the season.

25. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    That was the best F1 race I've seen in a while, as a Honda owner I'm feeling happy but just like to see that win but hope Schumacher can take the championship this year.

Well done Button,

W00t Honda!!!