308 QV side mirror - problem solved ! | FerrariChat

308 QV side mirror - problem solved !

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cecinestpasunjan, Jul 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cecinestpasunjan

Sep 15, 2004
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    #1 cecinestpasunjan, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few weeks ago I started a thread asking for help with my electric mirror which didn’t move anymore.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111080

In summary I learned that it doesn’t make sense to diagnose the electrics with a control lamp, measurements with an ohmmeter produced ambiguous results. After disassembling everything it turned out that the solenoid mechanism which engages / disengages the components for horizontal / vertical movement of the mirror glass was jammed.

I decided to replace the actuator.

1.) Getting there:
    The Euro Vitaloni mirror can easily be disassembled without removing it from the car. Just remove the two screws on the bottom of the mirror and slide out the complete mirror assembly which sits on a little steel frame. The US mirror is different. There you have to remove the mirror glass in order to get access to the actuator (see thread cited above) which seems to be similar, if not identical, to the one used in the Euro mirror.

2.) Sourcing and replacing:
    The actuator was produced by Eaton IKU, Montfoort, NL. Unfortunately, their production records do not date back into the eighties so the desired spare isn’t available from them anymore.
    I found out by chance that BMW used similar actuators and purchased via Ebay an actuator from a 5xx BMW (series E34) which was produced from 1988 to 1996.
    This actuator consists of the same housing and mechanics as the one in my 308QV, however the plastic ring which connects the mechanics of the actuator to the back plate of the mirror glass is different (see pic., white BMW, black Ferrari).
    The ring can be exchanged by either removing all the mechanics from the actuator housing or by carefully twisting and bending the ring out of its three contact points with the mechanics. Both ways are a bit tricky.
    Having put the Ferrari ring on the BMW actuator I remounted the steel frame, clipped the mirror glass / back plate to the actuator and put everything back into the mirror housing.

- DONE –
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  3. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    This is great. My passenger side mirror just "clicks" like it's jammed, moving only in certain directions but rendering it essentially useless. Do you think i should try removing/repairing the whole thing per your instructions below, or is there a simpler solution I should try first?

4. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Jan,
    You should add this to the '308 cross reference thread', in the 308/328 Mondial section. It would help others.

5. cecinestpasunjan

Sep 15, 2004
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    Jawad,

The "click" comes from the solenoid and that's okay but if the mirror does not move as it should it might be worthwile to replace the actuator.
    I would suggest the following procedure:
    - Don't touch your car, get an old BMW mirror first and dismantle the actuator.
    - Remove the mirror glass / actuator assembly from your car without disassembling everything.
    - Connect the ex-BMW actuator to the cables of your side mirror to check its function.

If it works, switch the actuators as described. If not, you have just wasted a few bucks for the salvage mirror.
    Optional checking for non-actuator related problems (probably not the most elegant way) can be done by removing the driver side mirror / actuator assembly and connecting it to the passenger side cables. At least for Euro type mirrors this is just a matter of 15 minutes.

6. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Jan,

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I can make this a learning project (I am at the very beginning of becoming mechanically proficient).

Best regards,
    J.

7. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    you have the US mirrors, so it's a bit harder...unless the QV mirror is different from the 328 one. Definitely check for a way to take out the mirror guts without removing the mirror glass first.

there's two noises the mirror can make. A ticking noise when you move the switch between horizontal and vertical is the solenoid. If you have a problem in the switch, it could be a intermittent rapid ticking as the solenoid turns on/off.

a more ratchety noise, like a socket wrench clicking, is the gearing jumping teeth like it's supposed to when you hit the mirrors limit of travel. If the mechanism is gummed up so it can't pivot easily, then the gearing can jump when it shouldn't.

using your thumbs, push in the mirror glass so it is about centered. You have to push hard enough to cause the gearing to jump teeth, and it'll make a noise. It'll feel like you are busting something, bit it's ok. Once the mirror is centered, test the movement using the switch.

8. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Thanks Phil.
    The noise is definitely more of the rachet-like one. Basically, the mirror moves about a quarter to a half inch in either direction (vertical or horizontal) and then just stops moving (but keeps clicking), as if in fact the gears were stuck (or, as you've explained, the teeth are jumping gears). Car is in the shop to look at some unrelated issues, but I hope to at least try tackingly the mirror when i get it back.