How to stop sticky hands?!! | FerrariChat

How to stop sticky hands?!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by denby, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. denby

denby Rookie

Jun 28, 2006
    Dubai,UAE
    Full Name:
    Sean Keith
    Hi All.
    I haven't been here for a while, but am glad I came back to this great site.
    Having had a beautiful relationship with my 360 (manual) for the past 3 years, my 430 came into my life about a month ago and what a beautiful car to lay eyes on she is. Again the car is a manual and instead of Rosso Corsa she is now Rosso Scuderia.

As all you Guys and Girls know these cars attract attention where ever you go and this is the reason for my post. I live in Dubai and for some reason when you park the car anywhere, people think it is their divine right to come and sit all over it, put hand prints all over the windows and even stand their kids on the front so they can take photos.

Now don't get me wrong, I have not owned a car like this all my life and I certainly appreciated the chance to look at other F-cars close up, but I would never dream of touching some one else's car let alone sitting on it and risk scratching it with rivets from my jeans.

So the question is, what methods if any do you think I could use to deter people from doing this? I am hoping some one has experience of an alarm system that senses people in close proximity and sounds off before they get too close, or something like that. Maybe wishful thinking as I am not sure a system like this exists, but I would really appreciate any input.

Best regards

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sit in front of your car with a pistol. But no seriously it's going to happen, park in private lots as much as possible and just expect it to happen.

3. denby

denby Rookie

Jun 28, 2006
    Dubai,UAE
    Full Name:
    Sean Keith
    True, the pistol scenario has crossed my mind.

With the 360 I had come to accept it would just happen and as the cars became a more regular site over here, people became less curious.

I guess as the 430 is new, I am being a bit anal about the whole thing.

Thanks for the the reply.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Why dont you buy a motion sensor car alarm? After you activate it and walk away, when people approach the car, it will tell them that the car has a alarm, that is activated. It does this with proximity sensors around the car. Cool fun. That may deter them? Or make them purposly come close to your 430 to set the alarm off! :D

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Boobie Trap

6. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    A too-sensitive alarm system - the kind that admonishes people just for being close to the car - can backfire on you by causing irritation in otherwise just-curious/admiring people. Then you risk keying or other vandalism.

The vast majority of people just want to admire a car as rare and fantastic as this, and yes, to perhaps touch it, like shaking hands with a celebrity. Let them do it, and don't worry about it. If you're standing right there and someone gets excessive (by sitting on the car, for example), then a smile and a polite request will most likely solve the problem.

If you have an alarm system on the car with a remote fob, remember that it has a "panic" button so that you can set off the alarm, and stop it, just by pressing a button. Useful to "nudge" someone off the car without getting into a personal altercation, if you prefer, even if you're standing right there.

I keep a bottle of Windex and a roll of Bounty in my 328. Quick and easy de-fingerprinting as needed. :)

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    A soft white ("diaper") cloth (available at AutoZone in the 'States) is good for removing fingerprints from a clean waxed surface. (Once you get grit on the exterior, you don't want to do any dry wiping. (Or have people sit on the car either.))

Of course, people rarely want to touch a car that's covered in road dust.

When I bought my Ferrari, I washed it each time Ferrari won a GP. I constantly had to clean fingerprints off it. That was a bit of washing in '00, but way too much a couple of years later.

In '05, I didn't count the USGP, so the car didn't get washed all year.

And it didn't get any fingerprints either.

So the way to keep people from touching the car is to drive it until it's filthy. :D

(I also noticed that people tend to cut off shiny cars more often than the same car when it's grugy. Go figure.)

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    If I ever caught someone sitting on my 308 I would shoot them.

Birdman

9. denby

denby Rookie

Jun 28, 2006
    Dubai,UAE
    Full Name:
    Sean Keith
    Thanks Everyone.

DGS: Dubai is very dusty all the time so when the car's dirty it gets a full wash otherwise the sand ruins the paint with dry wiping as you know.

PAP348: I like that idea. do you know if these sensors protude from the car much or are they concealed well?

Rachane: I agree with you the vast majority of people (my experience in Europe) are very respectful of others property especially F-cars, but here it doesn't seem so high on peoples agenda and this only happens when I am not near the car so key fob alarm doesn't help. Luckily though vandalism is not something one hears of often at all, whereas in the UK I would never dream of leaving my F-car out of sight. I also agree that an alarm going off to a curious person may backfire in US or Europe, but here it may just work.

Thanks again Everyone, some food for thought.

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    on my Countach I prented up little signs & stuck them in the windows
    PLEAS DO NOT TOUCH that dropped sticky fingers almost 95%

11. de993

de993 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    A friend of mine printed up signs for me that read "please don't touch, I'm not that kind of car" I haven't tried them in public yet

12. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    get a girlfriend.

:)

13. johntvette

johntvette Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Hurst, Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm with Birdman. Touching is one thing, putting your dirty ass kid on the front of the car is quite another.

14. 90TR

90TR Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2005
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I always liked the alarm that James Bond had on the Lotus in 'For Your Eyes Only'.

Although that can be a little expensive in the long run.

Boooooom!

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Set up a portable wash stand with hand towels next to your car with a sign instructing people to wash their hands first. ;)

If people actually SIT on your car, you need a vicious guard dog chained to the lamp post next to your car.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Biohazard warning stickers?

Custom registration plate: ANTHRAX ?

I wouldn't try that in the post-9/11 US, but ...

(I once labelled a particularly complicated control panel: "This equipment has AIDS: F*ck with it and you die" Tacky, but it got the message across. Reduced late night "fix" calls by 60%.)