Daytona Values | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Daytona Values

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 328KNB, Mar 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanBuddery

IanBuddery Rookie

Mar 26, 2006
    "A GTO replica can be made using the exact specification parts that were available in 1962."

Not at all true. You can't buy the instruments, the gearbox and many other significant parts. What you end up with is a car that looks like a GTO but is built with GTE or similar components. Not a time capsule, just a replica and probably worth less than the "real" car you started with, which cannot ever be economically regained.

I agree with your comments about over-restored cars at Pebble Beach btw but not the negative view of the quality of early Ferraris. They were built according to the expectations of the day, not modern definitions of quality.

2. mrknowitallf40

mrknowitallf40 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2005
    I agree that the expectation of the day has a different definition now. I think that the Ferrari are more concerned with the overall concept of a vehicle and don't get bogged down with details of how the car is built. Compare the Enzo to the Mac F1. The build quality on the F1 is outstanding wheras the Enzo is "good enough". After seeing the daytona completely disassembled in the other discussion I would love to get that far into a restoration. I'm sure few cars will get that extensive of a restoration. I'm a big fan of POR-15 as well. If they can reproduce the Auto Union GP car, I'm sure that a few GTO parts are no problem. Were the instruments in the GTO unique to that car?

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I can believe that it would be difficult to recoup costs on a GTE->GTO conversion, but I'd add that a proper GTO conversion is easily worth more than a stock GTE.

4. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    I would probably buy someone else's labor of love. Marcel, if you can make fake so good that nobody can tell, does it matter? It can and has been done. I think that the entire P3/P4 thing is about Jim taking something that everyone thought was worthless and discovering the real history. It is clear that he did not do it for the money, he has bought many valuable cars. If someone like a used parts dealer were making this claim, that's another story, he's in it to make money. I appreciate you comments about the F40 prototype. The guy that made the claims must be feeling a bit stupid.

5. IanBuddery

IanBuddery Rookie

Mar 26, 2006
    If money is no object, you can build anything and fool 90% of the people. If you want something that can't be bought, you have the right to do what you want with your own car (disregarding for the moment the question of breaching the Ferrari company's design copyright) but there are too many dishonest people who lie about replica's and recreations and too many gullible people who buy them. That's why I support Marcel's theme that we should all preserve as much of the historical integrity of early Ferraris as possible. Having said that, my Daytona was converted to a spyder (in 1978) so I'm a hypocrite. I wanted a RHD spyder but couldn't afford it, so bought the next best thing. Maybe in 25 years time some crook will present my car on ebay as the "8th factory RHD spyder, found in a barn in Australia". That settles it then - I shall be buried in it!

6. mrknowitallf40

Feb 20, 2005
    Marcel, I realize that the highly political world of Ferrari show car politics will not allow you to respond. I had expected this. I wonder what the guys at Alfa said when Enzo Ferrari created his first racing car. Would they have considered his car a replica (Ferrari) or an Alfa? Good day.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Probably just the winter months lull on sales and I still think there is some seasonal aspect to Ferrari buying.

I think the plentifulness of cheap money has spurred buying, if the Fed continues to raise rates then that may affect some sales.

8. steve mcgregor

Jun 27, 2006
    laguna beach calif
    Full Name:
    steve mcgregor
    i would be happy as i could ever be if i could purchase a frame off plexi daytona for about $200,000!!!! anyone have one for sale in that format?

9. steve mcgregor

Jun 27, 2006
    laguna beach calif
    Full Name:
    steve mcgregor

10. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Count me in that purchase as well. Anyone want to sell Daytonas at that price, I'm a cash buyer all day long.

Steve

11. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    To me, a daytona is a rare car worth much more to a collector/older person than to a first time buyer of an F car, especially a younger person. Those guy will pay 300,000 for an F-430 spider...but to them a daytona is not a car they would care to drive. I saw a 360 spider and an f-430 coupe, both gorgeous cars, this weekend at my house, and though I would love to have and drive either one, I would not trade one of my daytonas for either.

12. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004

Yep. You got the sickness like the rest of us. It must be the fumes from the Webbers. The thing that makes the Vintage cars so special is that they have so much history. Many of the new Ferrari owners do not even know what a Daytona is.

13. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Tom. I know it's been a while since this post, but.... got anymore?

At that price?

14. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    My opinion,
    As time goes on Ferrari was successful in selling close to 8,000 F360s and F430s. In the history of their company, these are astronomical production numbers. Whether these cars were great or poor is irrelevant, it introduced a large amount of people to a manufacturer that was historically an elite purchase. Once an owner is bitten by the ownership bug, the passion never leaves. As times go on, the people introduced to this market can quench their thirst with newer and more expensive models. To some, the value of newer models causes a stomach ache for the depreciation and resale values. Look at all the posts and discussions on the 599 values. The expanded awareness and market now opens the doors to the much more rare and collectible vintage cars. Over time the right vintage car has appreciated like real estate (used to). The vintage market serves two purposes: it has the ability to quench the thirst and if properly managed, the stomach ache could possibly be non-existent.