328 capristo vs. tubi | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 capristo vs. tubi

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rosso Corsa, May 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I agree with Paul -- there are very very little HP gains to be gotten from the muffler itself. If there's HP to be found in the exhaust, it'll be in the headers and cats. High end mufflers save weight, look nice, and produce a cool sound.

That's exactly why I have a pallet of X-OST systems headed my way : I'm trying to offer a lower priced, but equally shiny/good sounding system for Ferrari owners. Yes, they are expensive. BUT, compared to the market-dominating brand, they're much more affordable. The dominating brand is quite expensive, plays games with foreign currency "add-on", etc. etc. My goal is to have these good looking, good sounding systems here in the U.S. where customers can get them for a set price with quick delivery time (and not worry about foreign exchange rates, add on fees, duty charges, brokerage, etc).

Even the X-OST isn't "cheap" -- but it does bring a super product to the market and there are plenty of people (myself included!) that love the sound & like the shine. The weight savings is a heck of a nice bonus too.

-d

2. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    ....but you can see it on the Euros.....

I experienced a noticeable performance improvement after I installed a Larini. No, I haven't dyno'd it but as there was a complete POS, hack job exhaust on it before that also had a hole in it, but there was still a definite improvement.

I'm with big al (Hey, i thought I was Big Al!) on there being something to tuned, performance exhausts.

3. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    But we are in the USA.............. :)

The Euro's muffler is not visible either as it is located behind the rear valence.

4. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Correct me if i'm wrong but not all euros had the valence, mine doesn't and never did. I thought the valence was on some/most/all US versions and then all 328s....

5. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    The valence is just the rear bodywork under the bumper where the exhaust tips come out....it is nothing like the US Diaper.

6. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    #31 BigAl, May 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    gotcha'. maybe some brands sit higher than others, here's how the Larini looks-
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    On the 328 you can't see the shiny anyway.

I'm running a stock system with a Stebro resonator in place of the cat, and it sounds great! Deep and throaty, with a nice burbling popping on deceleration.

Buddy of mine is running Tubi and test pipes on a 348, that thing sounds like a demon screaming. Louder than anything else around here, there's no way I could live with that on a daily basis

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Color me clueless and will simply thank the previous owner. Still, my tech and also dyno folks say i need more back pressure so looks like i will get some SuperTraps and tune. Problem is, no matter how much i tweak and tune and spend $$$ at the dyno, what do you feel the REAL gains will be? Maybe 5HP/3TQ at most?

For the record, i can not see spending huge sums for these Bling Bling designer exhausts. Ummm, do these guys realize that $3k is TEN PERCENT of the car's current average market value? But then again who am i to talk, dropped more than that for a new suspension (but then again a suspension provides HUGE gains in lap time).

9. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    they're not all $3K, I just don't get where you guys find them "blingy", and I'd rather have a true, tuned sports exhaust than a hacked corner muffler shop job.

10. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Point well taken. Hacked may be a bit too severe, but can not argue with lightweight and functional.

Wonder if straight pipes and just Supertrap would work... Anyone try this?

11. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Great a chrome muffler that Dwarfs and Squirels will find stunning!

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

You have just offended 86% of the squirrel population. They're God's creatures too. Don't they deserve a chance to see some nice Ferrari hardware? I'll bet you swerve to hit them in your SUV too, don't you?

:)

13. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    I am founding member of "Save the Squirels"

14. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I'm calling B.S. on that. I heard you were the registrar of this website:

http://www.deadsquirrel.com/

Check out the forum....

15. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #40 EspritSE, May 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike-
    Bud's is the place for one off mandrel bent exhausts in Denver..

give 'em a look...

http://budsmuffler.com/

here is a pic of their testarossa exhaust...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    I had a change of heart and started Save the Squirels after a Squirel pulled my family from a burning house.

17. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    EspritSE....Thanks, just the other day I stopped by Apple motors & they recommended Buds also...didn't look at the site until your info!

Mike

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I didn't mean everyone's, I've seen some pics of some nice looking jobs; I was referring to but did not specifically say my local muffler shops. No one had done anything like that before, they didn't have mandrel bend capability and all I got was: "well...we can try". no thanks.
    indeed! the dwarves and squirrels come from miles around to admire my muffler!
    hear, hear!

19. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok so now I've cheked out a local shop that does mandrel bending. I have a 328 USA spec car with the single pipe, (the front header and rear header go into one pipe which goes to a cat con & into the muffler).
    I am not opposed to getting the mandrel bending done on alternative pipes, but don't want to do any fab work on the stock system (may want it back on in the future).
    So my question; if I go to the euro style exhaust (twin exhaust/one itermediate pipe for the front bank header & one intermediate pipe for the rear bank header, & if I maintain my O2 sensor & temp. probe on the intermediate pipe for the rear bank will this effect the readings on the O2/temp probe sensors (since they are normally reading the exhaust volume from both banks?).

I read that another member had this problem when the O2 sensor or thermo sensor were off a test pipe,,(something to that effect)

20. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi.
    I have a Euro-Cat 328 (Swiss), cat removed. How much is it for a Tubi system for a US 328 over there? I have mailed Tubi in USA but they simply refuse to send any reply.

21. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Pretty sure in the nhood of $3K.

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Peter - Get in touch with Scuderia Systems in the UK. They're much closer and probably can deliver a system faster than from the US.

23. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No replies, anyone have a comment?.

Ok so now I've checked out a local shop that does mandrel bending. I have a 328 USA spec car with the single pipe, (the front header and rear header go into one pipe which goes to a cat con & into the muffler).
    I am not opposed to getting the mandrel bending done on alternative pipes, but don't want to do any fab work on the stock system (may want it back on in the future).
    So my question; if I go to the euro style exhaust (twin exhaust/one itermediate pipe for the front bank header & one intermediate pipe for the rear bank header, & if I maintain my O2 sensor & temp. probe on the intermediate pipe for the rear bank will this effect the readings on the O2/temp probe sensors (since they are normally reading the exhaust volume from both banks?).

I read that another member had this problem when the O2 sensor or thermo sensor were off a test pipe,,(something to that effect)